all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Grip training (restarting after 20 years)

Fezzek

First Post
25 years ago, I spent a year unknowingly powerlifting. My coach was a powerlifting coach, and I just did what I was told
I rock climbed 15 hours a week for about 5 years and ended up with a pretty solid grip strength.

Marriage & kids, no exercise for 20 years...

I bought the Captains of Crush and could do the Guide/Sport/Trained/1/1.5 without any training. Within 4 weeks I was doing sets of 4-6 #2 and #2.5 for 1 rep.

After about 4 months of consistent training, I am doing sets with the 2/2.5 of 8-10 reps, and I managed the level 3 for 1 rep after a 20 minute warm up on my RHS. LHS is still a few mm short of completing it. I've just ordered the 3.5 and 4 so I can start to build towards repeated sets on the level 3.

I have the hub, pinch block, finger boarfds and rolling grip thing. Apart from trying them out, I haven't really used them at all yet. I think I have reasonably good strength/endurance on the RGT, but the hub/pinch block is very, very weak (about 55lb reps ).

I'm struggling to see how I can improve my weak areas so I can get back to rock climbing. Adding any more into the grip strength training fatigues me for days at a time (closer to a week than a day). But the CoC I can do every other day with no problems whatsoever.

Thoughts?

Martin

Just start rock climbing with easier routes. Your weak areas will improve and you can choose more difficult grades as time goes by.

Just start rock climbing with easier routes. Your weak areas will improve and you can choose more difficult grades as time goes by.
I have considered that. The difference is I was 85kg before, now I am 105kg. I'm not sure easier routes would be possible at this point until I've managed to significantly improve strength and reduced my bulk.

I'm struggling to see how I can improve my weak areas so I can get back to rock climbing. Adding any more into the grip strength training fatigues me for days at a time (closer to a week than a day). But the CoC I can do every other day with no problems whatsoever.

Thoughts?
I think the best and most sport specific thing will be the thing itself (rock climbing). You're not going to get your grip into great climbing shape without climbing anyway.

Unless you are climbing at pretty hard grades you really don’t need all that impressive of grip strength. In fact it can be a detriment, by masking other weak areas like technique, footwork, placing gear, etc. Like what @Boris Bachmann said just climb.

If you can lead 5.12 + on trad gear, then maybe think about specific grip training…

Back
Top Bottom