all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Grippers-Where to start

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Snowman

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey all, I'm doing Plan 104C right now, which has me doing a lot of heavy swings. The plan is written for 1 handed swings, but I'm doing almost all of them as 2 handed swings due to my grip or lack thereof. I am doing some 1 handed swings, usually just the first 2 or 3 swings of the set. The goal is to be able to sets of 5-10 solid 1 handed swings with my current weights sometime soon. At the moment I'm doing 3 fairly long swing sessions per week, and if I try and fit in all my grip strength volume all at once I end up with finger blisters from re-gripping the KB too often. I'm toying with the idea of getting a gripper and GTG with it, so the point of my long winded question is this: If I want to be able to do better 1H swings w/ 32K, what would be a good gripper to use to GTG?

I'm assuming Captains of Crush is the way to go, but I'm pretty clueless regarding the strengths.

Snowman, I used the CoC grippers before the 103 and 104 protocols (see my Training Log) and I feel that it helped me do the 1H swings with the 32kg, but I have not attempted to train the grippers DURING the protocols, as I feel it might be overdoing the grip work. Not sure if it would be, but that is my feeling. I'm thinking I'll go back to training GTG with them at the end of this 6 weeks (I'm in week 2 of 104b). With that said, I'm gripping the 32kg pretty well now for the long sessions of 1H swings, and I was using using the CoC Sport, Trainer, and #1 for my gripper practice as described in my log. The few times I've used them while doing these protocols I'm about where I was - after a warm-up with the Sport, can close the Traner for multiple reps on both hands, can close the #1 for a single on the right, but not the left.

I have sport, trainer, 1 and 2. I've used them about 5 times in 10 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Ironmind says closing a 2 is having "exceptionally strong hands" and "lifesaving strength"

I want to train grip so bad all the time but my problem is like you, when do I fit it in?

Hi,

you mention "a lot”, “heavy”, and “long”, all at once:
  • What exactly is your goal?
sometime soon” rings another bell:

• how long do you follow that goal?
  • How long are you with your current program?
  • Do you have a journal?
This would show you that you do make progress, and that you may invest time.

Patience and calm, cautious** tweaking will let progress you in no time.

PS: "cautious tweaking"

grippers are strong medicine.

When you have blisters at your fingers, I would first focus on technics and close self-observation before adding some new element prematurely, e.g.:
  • are the sets slightly too long, so the last few moves get 'bad'? > more sets with fewer reps?
  • sweaty hands, wrong grip position, ...? (browse the web, tons of advice on that subject)
Blisters or hurting hands from grippers can interrupt your training for days, weeks.
Means a slower approach will bring you faster to your goal (whatever that is).

Have you tried to fine-tune your program, like
  • doing an easy entity at day 2, or
  • spreading the same volume over 4 days instead of 3? or ....

Thanks for all the great responses!
@Anna C I wouldn't bother with a gripper if I was doing the program exactly as written, but since I'm doing it with 2H swings my grip isn't really challenged that much. My left hand is also not as strong as my right, so it seems like some unilateral grip work my be in order.
@suroeh sorry if I'm being a little non-specific about the training, I just don't want to discuss the details of an ongoing project on the open forum. By "sometime soon" I just mean I would like to eliminate grip as a restrictive factor sooner rather than later, I certainly don't have a projected timeline. If I can accelerate the curve a little by easy GTG on my off days, then I might as well. I would rather not tweak the program any more than I have, and I rarely do 1H swings to the point that technique deteriorates, hence why I only do the first 2 or 3 swings of a set with one hand. I notice that when I do get carried away I just tend to start re-gripping, before my over all technique starts to suffer.
@Steve Freides and @KernLittle thanks for the input. I think I'll look into getting a Trainer and just doing some conservative GTG work with that. I certainly don't need a whole new grip program layered on top of my current program, but just a little focused unilateral grip work.

I do a full gripper program 5-6 days a week with little impact on my other training. I train either in the mornings or in the evening a few hours after lifting.

I am currently trying to close the #3 captains of crush gripper. Close with the right, not so close with the left.

Don't forget to train the extensors with bands, often over looked aspect of grip strength.

Training grippers and other grip implements have had a huge carryover to my training and professional life. The ability to generate tension is greatly improved.

The road to the COC 2.5 took a few months, but the COC 3 has been elusive.

@Snowman, if I may share my recent experience. I always had an pitifully weak grip.

I recently bought a set od Captain of crush (Trainer, #1, #1,5). The Trainer and the #1 are a good starting point for most men, as stated above.
I could not really close the Trainer properly at first, but after a few days of GTG singles, it improved quickly to casually do sets of 5. The #1 is still tough for me (told you I do not have a strong grip). I mostly did GTG sets of 5 with the Trainer, and negative singles with the #1.
I have put them a little on the side for the time, as there are not my priority, but still use them sometimes.

What I learned :
1 - I should have bought the bands. There was a point when I felt the pain in my hands. There was no more pain when I started doing some finger extensions. The funny part is that Pavel write about it in S&S. I have no excuse.
2 - Learn the proper technique. The way you position the gripper changes everything. Too bad I did not check all these video on internet sooner.
3 - Be strict on technique. When the gripper closes, you hear it clicking. If not, you missed the last mm (no count).
4 - Progress comes quickly, like often when you start something new. Just a few singles at the beginning, then doubles, triples, sets of 5. And when you increase the volume, remember point 1. :)

5 - I did not notice any carryover to my grip strength in swings. I really improve my grip on a bell when I start swinging a heavier one. We are all different, but I suspect that it has something to do with crushing grip strength and resisting hand opening strength being two different animals.
6 - I notice an improvement on my slow lifts. I am better at crushing the handle, and at generating tension. This is good, because that was the point of training grip for me at the beginning.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom