all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Gtg and Conditioning?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

andrewsisia

Level 1 Valued Member
hey so I'm trying to get good at the one arm push up and pistol for a body weight cert...my question is how would I be able to continue with swings and snatches to stay in shape and keep my numbers good? Like if I did twice a week swings or snatch would I still gtg the two exercises on that same day??

@andrewsisia, one can do S&S and also GTG with the two NW exercises at the NW book suggests.

Be sure to increase your overall workload gradually and, if something has to go, then cut back on your S&S because you are preparing for a bodyweight certification and that should be your top priority.

-S-

The idea is that you GTG with the bodyweight stuff but you do an S &S "workout" once a day. These two schedules can coexist.

-S-

FWIW, from a bodyweight strength enthusiast, though not someone who has been on a cert, if what you want is good GPP/general endurance from swings/snatches while you really dial in on your bodyweight skills, I think you could do a lot worse than almost-daily S&S swings (TGUs as and when you want to do them, if at all; you decide on your own priorities), then GTG your OAPUs and pistols. Maybe throw some pull-ups/ab work into the mix (depends what the cert requires of you).

My personal routine at the moment somewhat falls into the above guidelines.

Also look up Pavel's article, 'the cost of adaptation'. In it he outlines an approach similar to what I've laid out. It's a really good read.

Hope this helps! :)

You can do your swing and or snatching on the same days as your BW cert prep. just do them after your BW training as a finisher to maintain conditioning.

Hello,

I have a question about the Naked Warrior Q&A section.

Pavel says that a big pull such as DL or kettlebell snatch can be very interesting while doing NW. So my question is:

Is there a set / rep / weight frame for the snatch in this case ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', do you have a link to where Pavel is talking about this? Or a page number from the NW book?

Thanks.

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides ve Freides

Yes, it is on the page 185, section "Can I follow the Naked Warrior program on an ongoing basis ?" (in the Q&A).

It says "you had better add a big pull, such as the barbell deadlift, the clean, or the kettlebell snatch".

Kind regards,

Pet'

I do OAOL pushups every day on top of my S&S training, but I do not do them at the same time of day. I think if you're doing S&S in a more serious way, you're doing it with full power and not taking too much rest betwen sets, so in my case I'm quite "done" after my S&S workout. However, at another time in the day, I do the warrior pushups. My S&S press is the TGU of course, and I'm pressing 40kg with it. I weigh 98kg so my warrior pushup is (apparently) 68kg on my one arm, according to my handy dandy bathroom scale. The warrior pushup is therefore for me a much heavier and harder press than the TGU. I don't do the pistols any longer because I don't see any practical use for them in my life - the swings and TGUs take care of my leg exercise as much as I need, and I can still do 75% pistols on demand anytime anywhere as a result of these. I think the big gap for bodyweight training is the lower back. I happen to be born with a weak lower back, which makes kettlebell swings my ideal workout focus. If my TGU was being done with the same amount of weight as my warrior pushup, I would not need to do the warrior pushup any longer. As things are, I don't want to give up my "warrior strength" by stopping my NW training entirely.

Anyhow, simply put, I've been doing warrior pushups and S&S together since the start of September and things have been very good!

I am pretty sure S&S does not explain how to incorporate NW into it other than to indicate that you could reduce S&S to twice a week if you need to make room for a more serious lifting programme. It also doesn't explain its relationship to ROP other than to point out that S&S is a development of the "programme minimum". I had to assume upon reading the S&S book that S&S is intended to be the current "ultimate generalist kettlebell programme" and I haven't read or experienced anything that would make me feel otherwise about it. It's just superb!!!

I'd really love it if Pavel himself were to contrast ROP and S&S and explain the relationship between his two "go to" kettlebell programmes. I really do get the impression than S&S is his current "masterpiece" programme.

"Naked Warrior" does not mention S&S because it was published long before S&S was created.

I'd really love it if Pavel himself were to contrast ROP and S&S and explain the relationship between his two "go to" kettlebell programmes. I really do get the impression than S&S is his current "masterpiece" programme.

I think you'll find this article helpful:
Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2

Apparently, it goes S&S (simple), then ROP, then back to S&S(sinister), then double KB work (like ROTK).

I think you'll find this article helpful:
Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2

Apparently, it goes S&S (simple), then ROP, then back to S&S(sinister), then double KB work (like ROTK).
Thank you. If that article were titled a bit differently, I might have located it myself.

I'm honing in on the Sinister goals now as I'm doing the S&S routine with the 40kg bell. And, there is a programme to follow too! Wow!

Last edited:
Hello,

Thus, when we use GTG (OAOL PU + pistols), has the big pull (DL or snatch) to be done another day ? Later the same day ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Personally I found NW and S&S on the same day a bit too much for little ol' me. The 4 day week combo though of 2 days each as discussed on other threads and in strength aerobic blog and also I think @Karen Smith may have referenced it on a blog or posting was spot on, for me. Maybe another time, another place, less stress overall, it may have worked better. So if anyone takes on the same day and finds it a bit much, there are other options to consider. The 4 day week was/is great for me, just right.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom