all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GTG and running ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Max_fr

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey,
Do you guys reckon that GTG applies on running ?

I was wondering if running at a very slow pace, x times a day and just a few minutes time, could get someone in a better shape and above all: to make progress.

I’m curious about knowing what would be the benefits (or not) with a beginner and a usual runner.

I could try myself I guess... !

It works for coyotes. Lots of wild animals for that matter. For an "indoor" person the logistics are the tougher part, so pretty much all plans consolidate running to once or twice per day.

In theory perhaps. But practically speaking it’s probably not feasible for most people. You can get away with doing push-ups or pull-up in almost any clothing and shoes, but not so with running.

Sprinters do something close to this I suppose, with sometimes very large rest periods between sprints.

Endurance and ultra runners also sometimes do two runs in a day. Sometimes two long runs. And I think the fitness gains are about the same either way.

Anecdotally, I had something like this happen at a wrestling training camp years ago. During a 28 day intensive we ended up doing lots of sprints in addition to longer runs up to 5 miles, skills training, conditioning, and live wrestling. . Pretty much any time the coaches wanted to they would yell “hit the wall” and we had to take off an run to the far side of the football training complex and back to the mats. At the end of camp we did a 15 mile run and my time was surprisingly fast. Admittedly there was a tremendous amount of work capacity built then and my young body could handle the incredible volume.

at a very slow pace, x times a day and just a few minutes time,
This right here is the issue - slow pace and only a few minutes at a time probably won’t garner much of an adaptive response.

I think your best bet to use GTG to support running (if that’s the goal) would be to do it with strength movements that can benefit running or build general physical preparation.

Last edited:
In the book on niko niko running (slow jogging), it was recommended that you run for shorter periods more often throughout the day.

I don't utilize their methods, but I thought that was interesting.

It has been my experience that splitting up a given weekly running volume into a greater number of sessions affords pretty much the same training effect at a lower fatigue/injury cost. I never went shorter than half an hour or more frequent than 2x/day but some pretty fast guys have done both. If you're not limited by time and laundry, try it and let us know how it goes.

What do you mean by “better shape” and ”make progress”?
Better cardio and better average speed i guess.

It works for coyotes. Lots of wild animals for that matter. For an "indoor" person the logistics are the tougher part, so pretty much all plans consolidate running to once or twice per day.
Yes you make a point and as an indoor coyote i'm lucky enough to have a treadmill ;)

I think your best bet to use GTG to support running (if that’s the goal) would be to do it with strength movements that can benefit running or build general physical preparation.
I remember someone on the forum who ran a half-marathon (or maybe a marathon) using mainly S&S. Wasn't it Steve Freides ?!
As we all know swings make better cardio, what if someone's using only swings. Could he be better at running, without truly running ?

I ran a fast mile 3 times per day every day in preparation for a fitness test for a few weeks and ran my lifetime PR for it.
This is actually very interesting ! You ran a fast mile but how about a slow mile 3x a day... not sure about the result though.

I might give it a try with a 3km long (distance we use at work). During my off working days i'll try to run several times a day, let's say 5min max each session.
I'll let you guys know if i start the experience :)

My PB at 3km: 12'56"

but how about a slow mile 3x a day...
GTG is about maximizing recovery for a high volume of neurological skill practice. I don't think running slow would tax the system enough to necessitate GTG unless done in a lot of volume.

I think the benefits of running slow come from the body's response to fatigue such as circulatory expansion and oxidative fueling, both of which wouldn't really get stimulated.

Practicing running slow will make you technically good at running slow.

Definitely, GTG can be applied to running. Running at a slow pace multiple times a day for a few minutes can still have benefits. It helps improve cardiovascular endurance, builds a running habit, and gradually increases your fitness level. It’s a great approach for beginners and even experienced runners looking to add more volume to their training. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

I do not believe that a ‘slow’ pace for a ’short time’ several times throughout the day actually meets the definition GTG.

Is running as described throughout the day going to provide some sort of benefits? Maybe some.

Again… what are the goals and what adaptations are trying to be achieved.

That being said… I look at this stuff through the lenses of a locomotive endurance athlete, so there’s no way I would endorse this method for anyone serious about cardio by any real definition…

JMO YMMV

Back
Top Bottom