all posts post new thread

Old Forum GTG Swing Follow Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
Months ago, there was a thread in which Pavel discussed greasing the groove with swings throughout the day, at least 15 minutes apart.  As I recall, he recommended about 20 hard swings with a moderate weight.  The conclusion was that the endocrine response from these frequent swings would cause body comp adaptations.

I just came across a summary of a study done in a scientific journal which measured hormone responses to the kettlebell swing.  Thought I'd pass it on.  Not surprisingly, the swing elevates testosterone, HGH, and cortisol.

http://breakingmuscle.com/kettlebells/hormonal-response-to-kettlebell-swings-a-scientific-analysis

I read that article and study as well.  What Pavel points on on the size of the bell is  a personal pet peeve of mine with the Journal of Strength and Conditioning.  I like to read their studies, I have found some very useful information in them but when it comes to a study which involves a load, that load is light.  I know everyone is different and that 16kg is a good load for some guys and gals but I would like to see studies with heavier loads, kettlebells certainly included.  Oh, and with more test subjects.  I remember a class my senior year in college which a big part of it was going through the whole process of performing a study and we got drilled on the more subjests the better so it bothers me when there are only 10 test subjects.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom