all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alexandros Fountis

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, I want to improve my reps on pull-ups, dips, and pushups.

(Max weight in weighted pull-ups: 45kg
Max weight in dips: 35kg
Max push-ups: 73)

Can I implement the greasing the groove method in all these 3 exercises to increase my bodyweight reps?

And should I exclude these exercises from my regular training routine?

Thank you

1. Our recommendation is to GTG with one or two exercises.

2. Of more interest are your numbers at what you want to improve: bw only.

-S-

yes and that's why I'm asking if I should exclude the exercises that I'm going to use with GTG method, from my training routine.

yes and that's why I'm asking if I should exclude the exercises that I'm going to use with GTG method, from my training routine.

yeah, generally don't GTG with more than 2 exercises. this is a pretty solid rule with not very many exceptions.

include the other exercises that are not GTG 2-3 times a week in normal training

for instance, you could,

GTG dips and pull ups

include pushups in regular training twice a week

ideally you would want a squat and a lower body pull on the same days that you train push ups.

just realize the more you add to your daily volume the more likely you are to burn out or get tired

I see
Thanks for the answer
Although my plan is to increase my 1RM in weighted dips & pullups, while increasing my max bodyweight reps in dips,pullups and pushups too.

That's why I'm in a dilemma and I'm not pretty sure how to program my routine.

Yes I could do GTG dips/pushups & pullups to increase max bw reps.

But I will also have to train these exercises with weights 2-3 times per week.

Which all of these stuff probably are going to make me overtrain.

Doing the same exercise in GTG fashion and a more traditional training at the same time, even if one is weighted and one is not, is not something I recommend. Your risk of overtraining will be high.

A better approach would be to focus for a while on increasing your 1RM, then go back to working on your bw-only reps. The other order is fine, too.

-S-

I'm solely interested to increase my strength and muscular endurance in these 3 exercises for this period.
Nothing else.

Hey man, not trying to bring you down on your goal, but you may be doing yourself a disservice by focusing soley on those 3 movements, especially since none of them are lower body movements.

I'm just preparing for a street workout & street lifting cup competition, and I will compete only in those 3 movements.

Thanks for the replies

Oh ok for sure man, I had no idea! I thought you were just training for general strength and health.

In your case then I would keep it simple: I would run "easy strength" 40 day workout with weighted chins, dips, and a light squat of some sort. Goblet squats or box pistols would be best. Just keep it light.

Easy Strength is basically GTG. You are allowed to run more than 2 exercises. People usually get incredible results when it comes to hitting new numbers by following the 40 day workout..

You could GTG with pushups only and run your little "easy strength" routine daily. This will hit all your bases, not wear you down (since you are auto regulating) and get you to bigger numbers.

Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training | StrongFirst

The Easiest Strength Program | Original Strength

note: I would much recommend buying easy strength, but the articles I posted will get you started if you choose to run what I'm proposing

Oh ok for sure man, I had no idea! I thought you were just training for general strength and health.

In your case then I would keep it simple: I would run "easy strength" 40 day workout with weighted chins, dips, and a light squat of some sort. Goblet squats or box pistols would be best. Just keep it light.

Easy Strength is basically GTG. You are allowed to run more than 2 exercises. People usually get incredible results when it comes to hitting new numbers by following the 40 day workout..

You could GTG with pushups only and run your little "easy strength" routine daily. This will hit all your bases, not wear you down (since you are auto regulating) and get you to bigger numbers.

Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training | StrongFirst

The Easiest Strength Program | Original Strength

note: I would much recommend buying easy strength, but the articles I posted will get you started if you choose to run what I'm proposing

Furthermore, try to put a little work in on what the other participants might be neglecting.. namely mobility, flexibility, and your cardio (recovery system). Even though you specialize in strength right now, you will ultimately do better if you are mindful not to neglect the recovery system and how you move.

Just try to do enough to facilitate faster recovery... could be 10 minutes of foam rolling before bed, a quick 20 minute walk, etc..

good luck man and keep us posted on how you do

I'm solely interested to increase my strength and muscular endurance in these 3 exercises for this period.
Nothing else.

Hi, @Alexandros Fountis
If the numbers/stats in your first post are yours - and they are pretty decent - a strategy could be to change mindset from intensity and volume to PRATICE THE ART OF CALISTHENICS :)

Do yourself a favor at first - buy Naked Warrior by Pavel T.
The book explains all you need to know about tension and about GTG.

Then approach all training sessions as PRACTICE.
Practice your movements but with solely focus on how to apply maximum tension not only from the start of the movement but from you start moving to when the movement is done.

Best regards
MJ

Thank you for the replies guys, for the street lifting movements (max weighted: chin-ups & dips) I usually train in 70-85% of my 1RM for 4-5 sets, 3 times per week.

I think if I stop doing that I will start losing strength. So I'm looking for something little extra to do like GTG to increase my muscular endurance more.

But for the street workout movements (max bodyweight reps: chin-ups, dips, pushups) I'm not sure how to train, and this is how I found out about GTG.

For the moment I'm using GTG on bodyweight chin-ups and pushups (4 days/week, 4 sets/day, 50% intensity. I will implement progressive overload week by week in intensity/frequency/volume)

I will definitely keep you up for the competition (16 December).

Easy strength seems too easy, to be honest.

Hi Martin Joe, the number/stats are mine I appreciate that and I'll check it out.

Hi, @Alexandros Fountis
If the numbers/stats in your first post are yours - and they are pretty decent - a strategy could be to change mindset from intensity and volume to PRATICE THE ART OF CALISTHENICS :)

Do yourself a favor at first - buy Naked Warrior by Pavel T.
The book explains all you need to know about tension and about GTG.

Then approach all training sessions as PRACTICE.
Practice your movements but with solely focus on how to apply maximum tension not only from the start of the movement but from you start moving to when the movement is done.

Best regards
MJ

If you haven't read NW, and want to increase strength over night, get it!!!

Hi, I want to improve my reps on pull-ups, dips, and pushups.

(Max weight in weighted pull-ups: 45kg
Max weight in dips: 35kg
Max push-ups: 73)

Can I implement the greasing the groove method in all these 3 exercises to increase my bodyweight reps?

And should I exclude these exercises from my regular training routine?

Thank you

The pushups are a completely different issue from the pullups and dips, if you are talking about weighted pullups and dips. Increasing pullup numbers would involve improving muscular endurance, not strength. This is primarily a fatigue problem. Increasing weighted pullups and dips is primarily a max force problem. They are trained differently. For muscular endurance, I like daily (or near daily) submaximal volume. A simple program like 100pushups.com works well. There are many similar programs. For weighted pullups and dips, I would lean towards tried and true methods used by powerlifters because they are the experts and increasing max force. I really like Glenn Pendlay's Texas Method system but there are others as well.

I want to increase max force in weighted pull-ups and weighted dips. (I train strength 3 times/week)
But also I want to increase muscular endurance in pull-ups, dips, push-ups. (I train GTG almost every day in pull-ups and push-ups)

Is that enough though? What would you propose?

I'm starting to think that I should incorporate 3 times/week mechanical drop sets in pull-ups and dips without hitting failure, for muscular endurance and fatigue/lactic acid tolerance.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom