all posts post new thread

Barbell Guesstimating 1RM From 5 x 5

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Barbell math time. (Isn't it always?)

I am using my old 5RM BP weight for 5 x 5.

The 1RM calculator on exrx.net tells me that a weight I can lift for 5 reps is approximately 88% 1RM.

Agree?

I'm now trying to calculate 1RM based on 5 sets of 5 reps, done with 3-5 minutes rest between sets.

Thoughts? (Other than the obvious, that none of this can possibly be accurate for all people and it's therefore pointless - I know those things already.)

My guess: a weight I can do 5 x 5 with is probably a 6-7RM weight.

Why do I ask all this? I'm wondering what I will have accomplished when I hit 5 x 5 with this weight.
First week, I got 9 reps as 3, 3, 3; second week, 13 reps as 3, 4, 3, 3; third day, 16 reps as 5, 4, 4, 3.

-S-

I trained 5 x 5 DL for a Strongman contest. I used the contest weight for 5 x 5 in training. The NASS (NAS Corp now) record at the time was 27 reps with that weight. I had a serious shot at 27 reps, but not within the 75 seconds time limit. I suck at reps and generally avoid anything more than 5 reps, and often avoid going above 3. Don't sell yourself short on how reps you could hit with that weight, it just won't have the 1RM carryover that you want. IMHO.

Just my gut feel...

For 1 set of 5 reps, I would say 80% of max for a person handling big weights (and also a heavyweight), an advanced lifter. For intermediate lifter, maybe 85% of 1 RM (this is prob where I fall). Maybe as high as 90% for a newer lifter or lighter lifter. I'm talking a true 5 rep max here, where you are highly motivated (not something you could do any day).

For 5x5 vs 1x5, maybe ~5% 1RM less, ballpark. Are you talking about a true max 5x5? Where you take a full 10 min break between sets vs 1 or 2 minutes? Maybe less than 5% delta of the breaks are super long.

Regards,

Eric

When I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 with rest intervals calibrated to recovery (ie how I felt), not time, I was able to complete the last set with difficulty at approx 80% of my 1RM

Last edited:
We're talking about you and your bench press, right? You're a lighter lifter and you haven't done that much bench press? If so, I would imagine that 85% wouldn't be far from 5*5 with generous rest.

Alright, good thoughts, everyone.

88% 1RM seems high to most of you, 85% seems closer, for a 5RM weight.

We're talking about you and your bench press, right? You're a lighter lifter and you haven't done that much bench press?

Yes - my strength at the BP is improving more or less continuously, progress every week with, so far, no end in sight.

At my competition last month, I got 85 kg (187 lb) as new 1RM. I started lifting only in my mid-40's, and even then, had a competition best of 190 lbs, so last month's 187 lbs essentially ties my lifetime best and, now that I'm in my mid-60's, I'm pretty pleased with that.

In training leading up to that competition, I did 75 kg (165 lb) for a set of 5 and it was a max - I had spotters and I barely got the final rep.

In training _since_ the competition, I worked up to 70 kg (155 lb) for 5 x 5, and when I upgraded to 75 kg (165 lb), I got only 3 sets of 3. Two sessions later, I got 5-4-4-3. I feel confident I'll achieve 5 x 5 @ 75 kg fairly soon, maybe within the next month or so.

If 5 x 5 represents 80% 1RM, it would mean I'd added about 7.5 to 10 kg to my 1RM, and all that seems to be in the right ballpark to me. If I can move up from 85 kg to 92.5 or 95 kg in the course of 3-4 months, that would make me very happy. I think I can achieve a 100 kg BP within the next year or two - we'll see, but that would be fantastic. Hey, I'll go to the NFL Combine and do 1 rep. :)

Are you talking about a true max 5x5? Where you take a full 10 min break between sets vs 1 or 2 minutes?
When I'm watching the clock for BP, I will do a new set every 4-5 minutes, so that means 3-4 minutes rest between sets. Sometimes I do it this way, and sometimes it's more of what I call semi-GTG where, because my office and my gym are next to each other, I'll do a set of lifts, work at my desk for an unspecific amount of time, go back and do another set, and so on. FWIW, and perhaps it's only because the weights are still light, I don't find I need as much rest between sets of BP as I do for DL, where the difference between 5 minutes and 10 minutes of rest sometimes makes a significant difference to me.

My current plan, after completing 5 x 5 @ 165 lb, can be found in the original interview here:

Pavel Tsatsouline said:
As the meet approaches, cut back from 5 x 5 to 4 x 4, 3 x 3, and finally, a couple of weeks before the competition, 2 x 2. Up the poundages accordingly. After the meet, take a week off, then start over with 5 x 5.

Given that not many meets are on the schedule, this may be a gym max test instead of a competition - we shall see.

Thanks, everyone.

-S-

I think the way Jim Wendler calculates in 5/3/1 works pretty well in my experience.

((Weight x 0.033) x Reps) + Weight = Estimated 1RM
(165 x 0.033) = 5.5​
5.5 x 6 = 33​
5.5 x 7 = 39​
165 + 33 to 39 = 198 to 204
Using this formula, a max set of 5 reps should be 85.8% of a 1 rep max.

There are formulas - I've forgotten them. They lose accuracy quickly the more reps you add though and a lot depends on how often you practice (or don't practice) heavy singles.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I think I used it in the past and it was close to the mark.

From the "Faleev’s 80/20 Routine" article over @ Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts
Faleev offers a formula that will help you estimate your max from your 5 x 5: multiply that weight by 1.2. This is not exact science, but it is much better than those ridiculous charts that claim to calculate your 1 rep max (1RM) from your 10RM.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom