all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Gymnast push up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

What do you think about this kind of push up : gymnast push up. Basically, with depressed shoulders, protracted shoulder blades, tensed glutes and abs ?

I do not have neither any goal nor expectation regarding performing this move. I am just looking for information about it (core engagement, specific character, etc...) and compare it to other push up moves (regulad, OA, etc..)

This is a very "open and debate thread" !

The first two links are about plank because the "gymnast push up" is some kind of moving plank
Planche Leans Get You Strong
Pro Tips to Plank into a Solid Core
Push into Your Most Effective Upper Body Exercise

Thank you all for your insight ! :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

In general, this looks like what I feel when I do a high tension regular push-up...except she rounds out at the top a lot more than normal. Instinctively, I don’t like it as much due to the excessive rounding, but I have no basis for this beyond my gut reaction.

I have found this type of push up to be harder on my joints than others (OAPU, regular pushup, hindu, divebomber)

Hello,

First of all, I want to thank you all guys for your answers :)

Goal aside, in terms of strength training, would it be interesting to perform this move in addition / variation to the HS push up (regular/OA/OAOL) ?

Does someone have some medical information which compare different kinds of push ups ? For instance, which variation focuses more on arm, on core, on back, etc...

Thanks again !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
Hi :)
The movement teaches you full ROM as your body is build to move like. The "Gymnast Push-up" (I would rather call it Full ROM push-up) engage your core/midsection considerable more compared to the regular push-up due to posterior pelvic tilt.

I am not here on a GYMNAST PUSH-UP CRUSADE - just sayin it is also a great move, and when you feel the need to mix things up you should try it

Kind Regards
Martin Joe

Hello,

@Martin Joe
Thank you for your help ! What you describe is excatly what I feel ! A very strong ab work. For the moment, I would even say that I have at least the same amount of ab tension with this variation than the oap or oaol pu.

I have been incorporated it in GTG to refine the technique without fatigue and stress. I'll tell you how it goes :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Martin Joe
Thank you for your help ! What you describe is excatly what I feel ! A very strong ab work. For the moment, I would even say that I have at least the same amount of ab tension with this variation than the oap or oaol pu.

I have been incorporated it in GTG to refine the technique without fatigue and stress. I'll tell you how it goes :)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Sounds great. Please let me know :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom