all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Hacks for improving sleep ?

On the days I dont train, I thought about doing one quite easy work-out. I did this today, this evening. Like a very light strength training circle, a bit of step-ups, band rows, deadlifts wit 28 kilo, and pull-ups in sets of one. Also did some two leg calf-raises. Did this for 15 minutes.

Sleep hacks:

(1) Good quality eye mask
(2) Mouth taping
(3) Caffeine intake over by mid morning but feel free to experiment eliminating and/or adding Theanine and swap out Yerba Matte for the theobromine and theanine content giving you a more level buzz.
(4) 30 minutes minimum walking every day, 60 or 90 even better.

Sleep cocktail:

(1) Magnesium Bisglycinate 400 mg before bedtime (Note: I take a minimum of 1.2 grams per day and even do IVs of Magnesium periodically. My magnesium levels are close to top of range now)
(2) 180 mg of Melatonin (see Frank Shallenberger here:
(3) 3 capsules of SLEEP by Body Health here

If you're having trouble staying asleep you could have cortisol or blood sugar issues. You can have a practitioner run a DUTCH test for HPA axis dysfunction if its becoming a persistent problem.

I've struggled with sleep all my life. Pills, meditation, warm milk. I've tried them all.
I don't believe there is one cure all.
But the thing I do NOT do any longer is to get upset that I'm not asleep. I used to get angry that I wasn't sleeping and of course that only made matters worse. Nowadays, if I wake up at 2am, I take a stroll, check on the cats, put on George Nori, and don't worry about it. If I sleep again in an hour or so then fine. If not then I retain the right to get 2 breakfast sandwiches from the McDonald's drive through on the way to work.

I ordered a bottle of apigenin thanks to this thread

A cup of Twinings Sleep Plus tea, followed by a small cup of tart cherry juice with a capsule of apigenin, while reading something printed - eg. a book or magazine - seems to work well for me. I try to avoid any screen time within an hour of the target bed time, as well as coffee after 2pm.

A couple of breathing routines I use are

4 7 8 breathing = breath in for count of 4, hold for 7, breathe out for 8 do this for 3-5 cycles

5 5 5 breathing in for 5 hold for 5 out for 5 repeat until asleep

"Army" breathing = 555 as above but wiggling your toes and fingers until you fall asleep, found that idea somewhere on the internet

If brain starts throwing in random bothersome thoughts, visualise a traffic "STOP" sign inside your head in great detail, mentally traverse the shape of each white letter then around all eight sides of the white octagon (Australian STOP sign) keep doing this whilst doing the breathing until sleep occurs - works for me.

1712816892831.png

I think we need a CPAP users thread, hints, tips etc?

Maybe the biggest hint would be to get oneself checked if there's any doubt about needing it.

When it comes to the machine itself, apart from the couple first nights when I felt like I didn't want to sleep like this for the rest of my life, I just settled down and got on with it. Zero problems afterwards. Over ten years with the machine. I'm so happy about it. I wish I'd had one in my teens. I think I'm just structurally faulty, bodyweight doesn't seem to influence it that much.

CPAP is simultaneously a sleep hack and annoyance for me. The struggle is I get so annoyed by it that I struggle to make it the whole night. I’m hoping that I adapt to it, because the few times I’ve made it 7+ hours I felt unbelievably good.
Same with me. Wearing my CPAP helps with bringing in more oxygen. Wearing my CPAP will wake me up in the middle of the night, every night, with the hissing sound from having the seal break because I rolled over.

Maybe the biggest hint would be to get oneself checked if there's any doubt about needing it.
Yeah if you are doing the basics of good sleep (regular schedule, cool room, not working out within 3 hours of sleep, dark room, not taking stimulants in the afternoon) it might be time to check.

Don't eat during the day and have a big dinner right before bed. It works like magic. Also, don’t limit carbohydrates too much. I mean vegetables and fruits: potatoes, apples, bananas, etc. Even pasta if you're okay with that.

Yeah if you are doing the basics of good sleep (regular schedule, cool room, not working out within 3 hours of sleep, dark room, not taking stimulants in the afternoon) it might be time to check.

Sure, but I think loud snoring and actually stopping breathing during sleep are better indicators. If there's no significant others to listen for it, record your sleep on your phone or such.

Of course, being tired and depressed are typical symptoms as well.

No water 2-3 hours before bed, but keep a glass on your nightstand.
Magnesium on soles of feet before bed
Reading 20 minutes or 2 chapters in bed and pee one last time after reading.
If you wake up, pee, don't look at clock, drink a 1/2 glass of water and close your eyes.
If after 15 minutes, meditate and deep breath for 100 breaths.

Back
Top Bottom