all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Half kneeling presses

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fractal

Level 7 Valued Member
I’ve been playing around with pressing during each phase of the getup recently and have really enjoyed how they force a strict press. The half kneeling position is probably my favourite of the series.

For the next little bit, I’m thinking about doing more presses from the half kneeling position so that I can’t break form and fall into my old/bad groove. This involves a weight shift to the pressing side while kicking my hip out to the same direction and unpacking the shoulder. When this happens I absolutely can’t slow grind a press, it either goes or it doesn’t. A weight shift onto the opposite foot to prevent this really helped me grind out a couple of 5 second battles today.

I think at this stage half kneeling presses actually feel stronger than standing. There are a few great articles around on the benefits of using the half kneeling position - Gray Cook seems to be a fan. Anyone use them here?

We often do what I call "Press-up Get-ups", which are basically what you describe: get-ups with a press at each position.

I stole the idea years ago from Paul Daniels (if I remember correctly). They are great for improving the pressing groove. And learning how to bent press (when you press from the 1/2 kneeling windmill position).

You may also want to try Z presses (press while sitting on the floor in a straddle/v-sit position). You can't cheat there either. And as a side bonus, you'll find out pretty quickly if your hips are tight or not. :)

Thanks,

I did a some barbell Z presses a few years ago while running 5/3/1 and they were very challenging!

Those half kneeling windmill presses are also great

We often do what I call "Press-up Get-ups", which are basically what you describe: get-ups with a press at each position.

I stole the idea years ago from Paul Daniels (if I remember correctly). They are great for improving the pressing groove. And learning how to bent press (when you press from the 1/2 kneeling windmill position).

You may also want to try Z presses (press while sitting on the floor in a straddle/v-sit position). You can't cheat there either. And as a side bonus, you'll find out pretty quickly if your hips are tight or not. :)

I don't use half kneeling as it aggravates my knees sometimes, but to me the Sott's press is THE grind one hand press. Really stresses the core as well.

I don't have the shoulder mobility to do doubles.

It’s funny, I’ve never struggled with overhead squat mobility but the sots press must expose something. As I find them impossible to do without my shoulder sounding like rice crispies

My upcoming article will cover the Get-up with Presses...coming soon...

1/2 kneeling and tall kneeling presses are great press variations and we use the 1/2 kneeling position to build the Bent Press in SFG II

It’s funny, I’ve never struggled with overhead squat mobility but the sots press must expose something. As I find them impossible to do without my shoulder sounding like rice crispies
Sots is tough, I can squat with one arm extended (forget about two) but trying to press from the squat my shoulder cramps as I try to squeeze it up, obviously I have some mobility work to do.

I use tall and half kneelnig presses to pattern good alignment. Straddle sit press as well. Builds well the relatshionship between pelvic-hips and rib cage-shoulders complexes. I also use these positions with size press and used open half kneeling to learn the bent press.

Picked those up from Gray Cook, @Brett Jones and Dave Withley

Sots is tough, I can squat with one arm extended (forget about two) but trying to press from the squat my shoulder cramps as I try to squeeze it up, obviously I have some mobility work to do.

I recall when I first started doing them, spurred on by YT of Steve Cotter doing insane lbs- "I aught to be capable of hefting my trusty 16kilo", and I was but barely.

Worked up to 50lbs, I don't think I ever managed the 28kg, it is one tough move. I was helped by already doing hang snatch squats.

Yes, that's a great idea.. That ones going into the vault for later use. (y)

It should be on the short list for whole body conditioning movements. I worked up the 28kg for reps and managed the 32kg for singles and doubles, but where it really shines is pacing out sets of 8 or 10. Multiple breaths per cycle. I came across it on "kettlebellworks" (site appears to be taken down - had lots of good training info).

It should be on the short list for whole body conditioning movements. I worked up the 28kg for reps and managed the 32kg for singles and doubles, but where it really shines is pacing out sets of 8 or 10. Multiple breaths per cycle. I came across it on "kettlebellworks" (site appears to be taken down - had lots of good training info).

I'll be playing around with the movement once my PO'd shoulder settles down, it actually looks alot like an 'olympic snatch' type movement, starting with 16k or so will be wise for me as my body adjusts, nice movement for sure. Thanks bro(y)

Having spent a bit more time with these getup presses, one of the things I really like about them (aside from the previous points) is that it combines the strict focus of singles with the cumulative stress of 5 reps and additional time under tension.

Beyond this, the half kneeling windmill press has a similar mobility effect to the bent armbar without having to switch gears away from strength.
I’m not sure if I saw it somewhere or imagined it but I’ve been omitting the half kneeling windmill press on the way up and incorporating it on the way down. I swore it was in the article but I couldn’t find this variation when I rechecked to link it. Either way, this spreads out the presses a bit more and warms my shoulder up for the ROM challenge.

Overall, This movement has been great for finding a new challenge with an otherwise unchallenging bell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom