all posts post new thread

Old Forum Haloes and Odd Arm/Hand Pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ulysses

Level 1 Valued Member
I've noticed that haloes, especially when done with a heavy bell, cause me both thumb and elbow pain.  Is there any substitute for haloes that will achieve approximately the same effect without jacking up my arms and hands?  I'm doing them as part of the S&S warmup, to put it in context.

I noticed that when I was using cheap kettlebells. Maybe try switching to a different brand. Small handles kill me on many differnent movements.

If I try haloes with a moderately heavy bell it can cause me shoulder and elbow pain. I may be corrected but my understanding is that it is a mobility drill and so should be done with a comfortable weight bell for you. I go very light, to ensure I get the movement but no pain.

Wondering what size bells are typical for haloes and prying goblets in the S+S warm up? Particularly for newbies.

For males 16 kg is fine for goblets, armbars and haloes. Of course if you have access to lighter bells you can experiment with it. The lightest bell i have is 16kg so, i don't need to think too much about what size to use in mobility drills ;]

Pavel has stated before that prying squats in S&S should be done with the bell you are swinging. I use the 16 for haloes and arm bars .

For the record I use a 16 kg bell for my warmup, and it's the lightest one I've got.

Just throwing it out there, I use a 10lb plate a lot of times. I throw it in for 50 reps each way along with internal external rotations with arm adducted and then abducted for 50 each (5lb plate for those) and then t and y for 50 each, no rest between. I do it as part of my cool down, since adding it in, my shoulders feel impenetrable.

As a side note, I made the mistake years ago of trying to do high rep halos with the 35lb bell, my shoulders didn't care for it.

Haloes used to cause me aggravation until I started thinking about maintaining a little shoulder external rotation torque when putting it behind my head. The cue for this would be keeping the elbows in somewhat. This keeps the shoulder joint stable, rather than just flopping back into internal rotation.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom