all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Hamburger Math Story

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor

-S-

-S-
Back in the day Horst Szymaniak, a German soccer player, famously said during contract negotiations:
"A pay raise of a third? I want at least a quarter more!"

Same but different :)

Wow, just wow. As an Aussie, I will never understand the American obsession with fractions. Absolutely does my head in. Nothing against you lot, but just doesn't work for me at all. Give me the nice clean 10 based metric system anyday.

Depends upon wether its a pint glass or a .47 liter glass…
Haha, I immediately thought of a pint of beer or a half liter reading this just 5 minutes ago.
There's a scene in 1984 by George Orwell where an old man complains about being served a half liter of beer instead of a pint because "A 'alf liter ain't enough. It don't satisfy."

I’m an Aussie too but work in manufacturing where all different types of equipment mean we deal with both.

As a beer drinker also I got quite annoyed when I bought some pint glasses online only to discover they were American pints, not English pint glasses. It means I just have to have an extra one.

On that note, last week the family traveled and we had to stop. We don’t eat McDonald’s, been many years but when you’re far from anywhere, what do you do?. Anyway I got a Bic Mac and was surprised at how much smaller it seemed from when I was young. Nothing big about it. My stomach complained for a few hours afterwards. Never again haha

So… riddle me this…in regular conversation would you say “half a kilometer” or “500 meters”?
500 meters anytime.
But if it's 1500 meters, it'll be kilometre-n-half
And no way 500 ml, only half of litre.
And if you say to Russian "half of litre", he will never ask you litre of what.
Same weird as mile, gallon and that weird thing you, muricans, call football, God forbid.
Go figure

Last edited:
Working as a carpenter in Canada is a pain. We all learn metrics in school, but end up having to work with imperial measures all the time. And don't get me started on using Allen keys, Torx or a ratchet set here...
The minute you think ratchets are a good idea you suddenly need two sets, because you never know if you'll need a 6mm or a 1/4" and by golly when you need one and have the other nothing's going to wrok...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom