all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hard workout, can't fall asleep?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
I know some people who "sleep like a baby" after a day of strenuous physical exertion. Me? I'm up half the night.

I try to do rucking or S&S in the morning, but there are days when I can't get started before about 7 or 8 p.m. When I do, I usually don't fall asleep until midnight or 1 a.m., which means I get only about 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

I don't like having to choose between an evening workout and a good night's sleep. I'd like to have my cake and eat it, too.

Do you have any "tricks" for falling asleep when your body and mind are still recovering from a workout?

If I really need to get to sleep, I start meditating while I'm lying in bed. It took me a long time to figure out that trick, but it works pretty well for me, your mileage may vary. You also try lowing difficulty of the rucking. If a leisurely walk won't keep you up, but a ruck will, then there's probably a sweet spot where you can still do a little bit without getting too wired.

All that being said, I really try not to work out more than 2 or 3 hours before bed for the exact reason that you bring up. I would rather wake up 30-60 minutes early than fall asleep 2-3 hours late.

A trick I came across - maybe Tim Ferriss? - is to tense (hard) every muscle in the body for a few seconds, then relax completely. Do that a few times and each "exhale" focus on relaxing as much as possible. A related trick is to start from the top of the head working down, consciously relaxing every muscle. I usually don't make it past my shoulders before I'm asleep.

Sleep is the most important variable in your training. If you are not getting a good nights sleep consider your workout as wasted. 7 or 8 is too late to be working out imo, it is going to negatively effect your sleep no matter what. I would skip training on those days if you have a choice.

Also reading fiction. Especially if you can read foreign language fiction before bed. Really turns off my mental chatter.

A trick I came across - maybe Tim Ferriss? - is to tense (hard) every muscle in the body for a few seconds, then relax completely. Do that a few times and each "exhale" focus on relaxing as much as possible. A related trick is to start from the top of the head working down, consciously relaxing every muscle. I usually don't make it past my shoulders before I'm asleep.
That is progressive muscle relaxation - not T. Ferris' idea ;)

To the OP...stretch and breath for your cool down.
I sometimes press a trigger point to fall asleep: in the middle of your palm, where your tisdue is soft, press for 5 sec, release repeat 5×, switch hands.

If you have to work out late, I would suggest lowering the intensity of your training so your body isn’t in a sympathetic state for hours afterward. Not being able to sleep shortly after a hard training session is a very normal experience.

I've found that my heartrate can stay elevated for quite a while after a workout (particularly any heavy lifting or KB ballistics).

I don't really have any tricks related to this specific phenomena, but I do recommend limiting blue light before bed. I have a pair of amber sunglasses I wear; there are apps like f.lux that can dim your monitor a little but there's still a lot of blue light getting through so I like to not take any chances.

I once switched BJJ gyms because mine only had late evening classes that left me wired and unable to sleep. I preferred classes right after work.

And I love kettlebells because I take them to work and can train at lunchtime rather than at night after the kids are in bed.

I sometimes take melatonin, which in the long term is not advisable but it does help me fall asleep.

In college I played intramural soccer that sometimes had late games that made getting to sleep hard. Perhaps finish your training with some yoga to start the relaxation. Meditate, take a warm shower, take some magnesium. Or a couple shells of kava?

I know some people who "sleep like a baby" after a day of strenuous physical exertion. Me? I'm up half the night.

I try to do rucking or S&S in the morning, but there are days when I can't get started before about 7 or 8 p.m. When I do, I usually don't fall asleep until midnight or 1 a.m., which means I get only about 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

I don't like having to choose between an evening workout and a good night's sleep. I'd like to have my cake and eat it, too.

Do you have any "tricks" for falling asleep when your body and mind are still recovering from a workout?
Your CNS is fried, @Smile-n-Nod. Take a few days off, and come back in slowly. As someone mentioned: Meditation and deep breathing will help too. I've had the same issues the older I've gotten, and breathing and meditation help a lot.

My best advice is try a few different things mentioned and go from there. Everyone is going to react a little different. I would also ask yourself how your stress levels are before and after your workout; be mindful, Sir.

If you are not opposed to supplementation, I find that melatonin works really well. Try low doses. I buy it in solution (3mg/ml), and it takes me a single drop to fall asleep about 30 minutes after I take it. The "recommended" dose is at least 20 times that (about 1ml).

If you are not opposed to supplementation, I find that melatonin works really well. Try low doses. I buy it in solution (3mg/ml), and it takes me a single drop to fall asleep about 30 minutes after I take it. The "recommended" dose is at least 20 times that (about 1ml).
When I use melatonin I employ the exact same approach and get the same result.

If I strength train late (after 9pm) I have a hard time falling asleep. The same goes if I do an extensive run +15k. Dont know why, but if I can, I usually run (long runs) early in the morning.

What type do you use? Years ago I tried some actual root "tea" and it was overwhelming. I followed up with some Now brand capsules which did nothing whatsoever.
I tried a tincture to see if it had the effect I remember, and it did. I've not heard of much benefit from capsules. Kava heads talk about reverse tolerance, which is similar to most herbal preparations need to build up in your system. As modern Westerners, we're really used to the speed and power of pharma. In any case, I've just started experimenting with traditional powders myself to see what, how, and when works best.

Kalm with Kava, Kavafied, and Kava Kings are a few reputable vendors.

I tried it years ago and liked an instant drink I found, but then the liver toxicity scare came out and it disappeared for awhile, even though still legal. The liver issue turned out to be overblown, as contamination and people with existing liver issues from other sources were the victims. The WHO took a second look at the data and its long history of safe use in traditional manner throughout the Pacific.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom