all posts post new thread

Old Forum Hardstyle breathing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jhpowers

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I've been noticing that my "power breathing" on my cleans and swings doesn't really feel like it's bracing my abs.  I'm been a little too loose in my midsection on my ballistic kettlebell lifts.  I was wondering whether anyone has used the Hardstyle breathing techniques that Pavel outlines in Hardstyle Abs.  It seems like he's recommending a GTG approach to developing ab and back tension.

So, has anyone had experience with this technique and what are the outcomes?

I began using the techniques in hardstyle abs a few months ago.  I did hardstyle breathing for two weeks as recommended.  Now I alternate sit-ups on the pavelizer and HLR's in two week blocks with my regular training.  However, the thing that not only improved mybracing during lifts but also my direct ab work was the original strength resets!  Since making them my main focus on a daily basis I have set several PRs and feel healthier than ever.  Either book will help both are ideal IMHO

Yes. Simple benefit: get me strong in almost everything. Even in exercises that i am not practicing regularly. Beatiful stuff. I am using it from 3 weeks now, and now i am getting deeper to it. I am using HB in planks, hollow positions. Brutaly effective technique.

I made a great improvement in swing bracing from Dan John "heartbeat" drill. Try it.

Original Strength and Hardstyle Abs are amazing combination.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to try using HB throughout the day and see how it helps.  Then I'll probably add some of the pavelizer into my variety days.  I own Original Strength and though I get the theory, I'm surprised that you guys are seeing such gains.  Maybe I'll incorporate them too.

I couldn't find the "heartbeat drill."  Can you let me know what you mean?

Thanks.

I had mediocre results with OS for a few months until I made walking and crawling the focal point of everything I do.  When I was just doing the resets once daily with maybe twenty total "steps" of crawling results where nothin worth mentioning.  Once I bagan spider man crawling for time, (began around two minutes, am now around six) it really unlocked somethings and my core stability and overall athleticism skyrocketed.  I also try to walk or jog a mile or two several times a week after my regular training.   Once I placed emphasis on these two resets the other ones, as well as my regular training became far more productive

Original Strength is seriously wonderful stuff. You can see quick results after just few days, but really noticable after few months. I remember when i was doing rolling first time. I was totally stiff. Now i am very flexible, and i can do neck rolls. My neck was never so flexible, healthy and strong (and i had some bad neck spine injury). Now i can roll how i want, and it is beatiful, worth every second on this (my favourite!) reset. My whole body feels so young and energy. It is my first thing in the morning.

I can't imagine better combinations as rocking + goblet + cossack.

For coordination and balance cross crawl rule. I like lateral and backward variations. It is a little hard, but still cool.

Crawling, simple game changer, but i know i didn't discover full potential from it, because i have other goals.

About "heartbeat", quote Coach Dan:

"I teach how the abs work with a simple drill. In my training language, a “heartbeat” is when you grab the kettlbebell by the horns and hold it on your chest, now explosively snap the weight out and back like a bench press from a gun.

Good. Now, drop into the deep position of the Goblet Squat and repeat the heartbeat. That quick cramping of your abs is how they are supposed be trained …like the fast twitch muscles they are and not by slow, high rep crunches!"

James, do Rif's dead stop heavy swing singles, making a point to brace before each rep and to power breathe on each rep.

Pavel, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give that a try.  I wasn't sure whether you thought that I should do my whole swing session that way or add it as a corrective on my variety days.  If you could clarify, I'd be appreciative. Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom