all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hardstyle Martial Arts

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pavel Macek

Level 9 Valued Member
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Many of my StrongFirst colleagues are highly accomplished practitioners of various combat arts - BJJ, Krav Maga, boxing, MMA, Karate, etc. etc. My own original background are Chinese martial arts, hard style called Practical Hung Kyun.

One of the reasons I got attracted to Pavel's teaching were the many similarities between our system and Pavel' hardstyle methodology. During the years, I have implemented many other StrongFirst principles in my martial arts practice and teaching, and I have benefited from it a lot. To have an idea of what I do, please check out highlights from our 15th PHK Summer Camp below.

My question is:

What style of martial arts do you practice?

How has StongFirst methodology influenced or changed the way you practice?

I took up Shotokan karate 6 months ago after wanting to do a martial art for a long time. Just got my yellow belt a month ago.

I believe the similarities are amazing. The tense/relax and pulsing of hip power to strength of a punch or kick is the first that jumps at me. I found the principles or patience, dynamic posture, mindfulness as well just permeated through the whole practice.

That being said, I am thinking of trying something a little different soon. My intention was to try 2-3 different martial arts this year (2016 has kind of been my "try something different or new" year) and am thinking my other interests would be either muay thai or brazilian jiu jitsu. The more I read, BJJ jumps out at me as being the leader in terms of anticipation to try.

Hopefully others can chime in about those arts as well!

I practice Guang Ping Yang Taiji and Han Shi Yiquan. Naked Warrior has been a big help in making me understand the power of using the kua in martial movement.

I'm a Shotokan boy from way back too. I think some of the Shotokan principles have a carry over to strong first principles and vice versa. Our Karate school began as pure Shotokan and later merged with a Wu Su form to become Wu Sho

In my view Shotokan is a hardstyle martial art where the techniques are all performed from a strong base and when performed correctly the full body tension is applied in fast dynamic way.

I've also done a few years of Japanese Jujitsu, Judo and a bit of Hapkido & some Tae Kwon Do at one stage too. I used to move around a lot for work, so sometimes I just had to take what I could get while I was in the area.

I've recently enrolled my kids in a local Karate school which is a very soft style IMO, some of the green belts can't even perform pushups properly. Their punching and kicking technique really leaves a lot to be desired. The school seems to have a good code of moral conduct and respect though, so I'm happy to send my kids there and drill them in hardstyle techniques myself.

The only alternative around here is an MMA school that's run by two brothers who are BJJ black belts. They have absolutely no morals and are both the type of arse hats who like to pick fights with people who they perceive to be weaker than themselves. They've both picked fights with me several times over trivial issues that required no more than a civil conversation to sort things out. They were the aggressors in every instance. So there's no way I will send my kids there.

After a few weeks of Karate my kids were still hitting and kicking like little girls, so I drilled them in what I called a power push. I get them in a fighting stance and have them put one hand on my chest and then tense every muscle in their body and shove me as hard they can in a sharp snapping motion with a strong hip drive. After doing this a few times they established what Jack Dempsey called a power line all the way from their hand to the foot on the leg doing most of the pushing. It was so effective they can all now push me off the spot.

Now when I get them to apply that technique of tensing and snapping all their force into a punch or a kick they are starting to test my Iron shirt chi kung when they hit me & they can make a nice dent in a kick pad or punching bag.

Last edited:
I practice Guang Ping Yang Taiji and Han Shi Yiquan. Naked Warrior has been a big help in making me understand the power of using the kua in martial movement.

Interesting! Grandmaster Kuo Lien Ying's lineage?

The school seems to have a good code of moral conduct and respect though, so I'm happy to send my kids there and drill them in hardstyle techniques myself.

I have no kids, but for a beginner I would say this is even more important than the art itself. A great Sensei who promotes that sort of culture is imperative to growth

@Gary Music

Gary is a very accomplished Karate instuctor with whom I did the RKC in 2009, and is now with StrongFirst. I recall from the cert how excited he was to see the connections between hardstyle principles and his martial arts practice. Maybe he'll see this and comment.

I practice ENSHIN Karate (2nd Dan) , a child of Kyokushin karate - Founded by 1978 All Japan full contact champion Joko Ninomiya.

The principles in SF align right with this style art. We are fluid but when we strike it is with power! I believe that the hardstyle karate Pavel was taught in Russia was of a Kyokushin variation so that makes sense. Kyokushin itself was developed by Mas Oyama who was a Shotokan,Goju Ryu,Kempo and Judo black belt.

Enshin takes that hardstyle of striking from Kyokushin and the fast throwing of Judo with body positioning and angles to set up Sabaki. Counter from your opponents blind spot.

I'm no way taught in this martial art, but I've borrowed some mobility drills from Harimau Silat. Harimau style involves close-to-ground fighting, so you're on your hands, knees, and butt a lot. The drills incorporate lots of rolling and getups, so they can be real smokers. Interesting to note, I found that the Turkish Get Up movements led to an easy transition into these drills.

I would love to find any silat class, but silat is not big in the US, especially in the Deep South.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom