all posts post new thread

Has anyone gone through a course like this?

You have to understand the industry they're in: they're selling expectations, then promising to fulfill those expectations, and if you fail along the way it'll be your fault for not doing what you were supposed to. There's nothing there you can't learn from other sources, but you also have to deal with unnecessary persuasion techniques and ideologies.

If you want to be part of a like-minded group, spend the money. If you want to learn, you can find better sources without the hoopla.

You have to understand the industry they're in: they're selling expectations, then promising to fulfill those expectations, and if you fail along the way it'll be your fault for not doing what you were supposed to. There's nothing there you can't learn from other sources, but you also have to deal with unnecessary persuasion techniques and ideologies.

If you want to be part of a like-minded group, spend the money. If you want to learn, you can find better sources without the hoopla.
I find Crossfit very like-minded to this and infinitely more... palatable.

I have never gone through a course like this and would tend to steer friends and family away from these types of things but to each their own. $18,000 is a massive chunk of change. I'd be hard pressed to imagine it being worth that cost.

Some people really say they are life changers. Others claim its a waste of time and money.

I welcome your input.
I haven't done that course, or any course like it.

I would ask:

Have these men done things that you aspire to?

Are these men people you aspire to be like?

What makes these men people that you should listen to?

What is important to you when it comes to being a man, husband, or father?

What would help you become more successful in whatever business you are in?

What would help you transition into a business you would enjoy or be proud of?

What are these men providing that will help improve any of the aforementioned questions?

How would this be better than alternatives, such as seeking counseling, building friendships with men you admire, hiring a personal trainer, or investing in some sort of businessy thing?

If you are primarily looking for a physical challenge or proving ground, how would this be better than participating in an "extreme" event, such as a long obstacle course race, a marathon, or a GoRuck event, or even compete in an MMA event, that would require a significant amount of time, training, and money to train for and complete?

If you are primarily looking for a way to improve your self as a man, what qualities do you find yourself lacking? How would this improve those? Are these people - who are largely successful former members of the military - modeling the type of man you want to be? What are alternatives that improve those qualities or provide you a better sense of "manliness?"

If you are primarily looking for a way to improve your self as a husband or father, are these men successful husbands and fathers? How can you tell? What do you think are failures or places for improvement for you as a husband or father and how will will this course contribute to improving them?

I want to be clear - I am not asking you to answer these questions on the forum or to me. But these are questions *I* would ask when evaluating whether something like this is worth the money or if it is a form of LARPing* in attempt to make up for not doing "hard core cool guy stuff" when you/I were younger.

*LARP: Live Action Role Play

I want to be clear - I am not asking you to answer these questions on the forum or to me. But these are questions *I* would ask when evaluating whether something like this is worth the money or if it is a form of LARPing* in attempt to make up for not doing "hard core cool guy stuff" when you/I were younger.

*LARP: Live Action Role Play

Very valid points and questions. I would rather put together a diet and workout plan to do a long ruck, like the 26.2 miler or even longer. Get sponsors to donate towards a charity and the like. I'd do that quicker spend the price of a good used car to have someone yell at me!

If you pay me 18k I will improve your life better than this course will.

Here is the process.
Step 1: Identify the hard thing in your life you should be doing but are trying to avoid by LARPing as a SF soldier for a weekend.
Step 2: Create a plan of action for addressing the hard thing.
Step 3: Execute that plan of action.

Crap.. I let all my secrets out. If you read the above steps you owe me 18k. Call now and as a bonus I'll do my best Garrett White impersonation and verbally abuse you over the phone.

I've attended weekends like this (that cost $600, not as premium, but along the same thread). They were very helpful for localized breakthrough ... but weekends do not make a life, I've found.

Recently I've found great progress in gathering consistently with a group of men that are intentional and have similar values. Cross fit was mentioned above. That's an example.

For me I started a peer led workout group in my local park and all of the sudden was surrounded by men that were moving in the same direction as me. Lots of benefits there.

So, as you make your diet and workout plan and go after your marathon ruck I'd encourage you to consider who to invite on the journey with you.

If you pay me 18k I will improve your life better than this course will.

Here is the process.
Step 1: Identify the hard thing in your life you should be doing but are trying to avoid by LARPing as a SF soldier for a weekend.
Step 2: Create a plan of action for addressing the hard thing.
Step 3: Execute that plan of action.

Crap.. I let all my secrets out. If you read the above steps you owe me 18k. Call now and as a bonus I'll do my best Garrett White impersonation and verbally abuse you over the phone.
$hit dude, send me your # and I'll do it for free.

Ck. out the Shawn Ryan Show #73 when you get a chance.
Looks like all of the spots for The Project in the near future are sold out.
IMO, seeking difficulty, doing hard things often pays off.
Guessing some strong bonds are formed over the 75 hours, and long term networking etc.

People are often starved for community and purpose and meaning, so I get the appeal. I didn’t event watch their videos though. But when I saw multiple of their references to “flip the switch” I immediately had doubts.

As an at times modestly competitive athlete in the past and as a psychotherapist who spends his days trying to help people make meaningful changes that last, I can say that there is rarely a switch that can be flipped.

I wonder if with things like this we’re seeing the fallacy of confusing selection criteria for results.

Back
Top Bottom