all posts post new thread

Nutrition Have a hard time eating enough

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

77o77o

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,

Due to a surgery I dropped around 20 lbs. My ideal weight where I feel my best is 179 lbs. But I’m stuck at 169 lbs. I’m 6’1. I get full very easy, so it is challenging to eat enough to gain weight. Any suggestions on calorie dense food or other options that can help? I’m currently doing S&S with a 36 lbs, but looking to get a 53 lbs.

Thanks,

Hi,

Due to a surgery I dropped around 20 lbs. My ideal weight where I feel my best is 179 lbs. But I’m stuck at 169 lbs. I’m 6’1. I get full very easy, so it is challenging to eat enough to gain weight. Any suggestions on calorie dense food or other options that can help? I’m currently doing S&S with a 36 lbs, but looking to get a 53 lbs.

Thanks,
Do you tolerate dairy, including whey powder ?

My go to for weight gain, in the absence of another good idea, is the gallon of milk a day (GOMAD). It never fails, in my experience. But if you've got a better idea, go for that

Edit: I forgot to mention the Guiness and pork crackling diet which certainly packed on pounds for me when my high school sweetheart left me for some jerk

Due to a surgery I dropped around 20 lbs. My ideal weight where I feel my best is 179 lbs. But I’m stuck at 169 lbs. I’m 6’1. I get full very easy, so it is challenging to eat enough to gain weight. Any suggestions on calorie dense food or other options that can help?

Road Map

Gaining or Losing Weight amounts to taking a Road Trip.

First you need to look at where you are on the map, look at your destination on the map, and determine how to get there.

Three Day Recall Calorie

Do a Three Day Calorie intake.

Divide by three to determine you Average Daily Calorie Intake.

Then...

Increase You Caloric Intake by 20%

Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton, independent of each other, determined that to gain or lose weight, a 20% increse or decrease in Average Daily Calorie Intake ensures more muscle mass was gained while minimizing fat gain.

2000 Average Daily Intake Example

A 20% increase in 2.000 Calories a Day would mean that you'd increse your intake to 2,400 Calories A Day.

Calorie Dense Foods

Fat is the most Calorie Dense Food; 9 Calories Per Gram vs 4 Calories Per Gram for Carbohydrate and Protein.

Due to a metabolic condiotion, I went on the Ketogeinic Diet cominbed with Intermittent Fasting about 6 years ago.

I overreacted and due to the decrease in Calorie Intake, I lost 17 lbs; which wasn't something that I was happy about.

Since I needed to remain on the Ketogenic Diet, I needed to keep my fat intake high, keep my protein intake moderate and carbohydrates low.

That meant the only way to increase Calorie Intake was to dramatically increase my fat intake.

I ended up gaining back most of the 17 lbs that I lost by increasing my fat intake 800 to 1, 000 Calories A Day.

A couple of tablespoon of fat providess approximately 252 Calories. I had a small measuring cup that I'd blend in MCT and Avocado Oil in. Then I'd drink it.

I realize that most individual aren't going to drink fat, which is what I did.

With that said, consuming food that are higher in fat should be considered; such as high fat meats, high fat milk, nuts, avocados, eggs, cheese, adding butter to your vegetables, etc.

Add protein shakes with full fat milk to your existing diet. Be careful though, it is easy to gain too much too fast. Start with one. Go from there.

Hi,

Thanks,
I’ve a similar issue I’m working through. Regardless of energy needs (carbs/fats), I’ e been attempting to get my protein needs met through “protein pulsing” for about a year or so now. There’s a recent thread on it.

I take an essential amino acid (EAA) supplement often alone or with a SMALL bit of carbs (I eat low carb generally) or add them with any smallish early meals I consume during the day at a lower, complementary dose (my main, normal meal is in the evening). I feel it has aided my recovery and digestion is easy. Just my thoughts. GL

Gary

Grass fed whey, whole milk, heavy whipping cream, raw eggs, frozen bananas, macadamia butter, cinnamon, nutmeg.
I like Vital Whey from WellWisdom and Steak Shake from Mark Bell.

Ive been in the same boat most of my life (mid-40s). When Ive had success its been from adding sugar. Typically having a workout drink of milk, Beverly International UMP & sugar/dextrose/maltodextrin has helped. Fat has more cal/g but was more filling for me & interfered with my food quantity. I hate taking in sugar but it is easy to add. You can even take similar drink after meal or before bed. Ive since accepted my natural performance weight as more healthy but thought Id add the experience. I think everyone is different on what they tolerate well.

Man, I envy you...
haha same.

I have no advice, tips, or tricks because my default state is "gain weight".

My step by step process for gaining 20lbs would be to not watch what you eat for a month or two....And there you go! A single easy step!

It is kind of like getting weight loss advice from your forever skinny friend who lives on nothing but cheetos, cheese and sausage but started drinking oil because they were losing too much weight.

Olive oil and full fat milk. Half and half if you want. Even mix in some whipping cream.

There's a shake from Vince Gironda I've heard puts weight on. Half and half with ginger ale. Sounds gross, but actually tastes good. There's his other shake that's half and half, eggs, protein powder

Wholenut peanut butter gets my vote. I stir it into my porridge (oatmeal) when I'm trying to gain weight. It mixes nicely into smoothies/shakes if you have a half decent blender (and its almost perfect three-way split between protein, carbohydrate and fat makes it easy to factor in if you're tracking your macros).

Meal replacement shakes (Huel etc.) can work if you're able to fit one in before bedtime. It's balanced and nutritious so you're not just filling up on junk.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom