all posts post new thread

Old Forum Heavy lifting and tightness

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CharlieJay

Level 2 Valued Member
Every time I do a barbell routine, my hamstrings and lower back get tight as all hell. By the next day, my hamstrings really fight back. No matter if I stretch or not.

On the other hand, If I do lots of lighter weight, higher rep training, my hips and hamstrings open up a bit. The worst is deadlifting. It's not even worth it. In fact, I think I might completely replace them with swings or something. Has anyone else had this much of a problem?

Assuming you have just enough flexibility to do the main lifts without compromising your health, I don't believe it's necessary at all to go really heavy.

I love the "Easy Strength" philosophy of higher frequency and not-so-heavy weight because it allows you to practice the movements, recover better, and get strong at the same time.

It really makes no sense to lift weights if you're going to be hurting most of the time.

Get someone qualified to check your technique. Spend more time moving. Take it easy.

Are you able to comfortably touch your toes with straight legs while standing?

It would be helpful if you gave us some more information such as your age, training experience and injuries. Also what is heavy for you? I might think of a 300 lbs deadlift and you talk about 600. That makes a difference.

Do you do a proper warm up and cool down?Did you try doing relaxation exercises and stretching in your rest periods?

Yes, I can comfortably touch my toes. I'm 29. I started training when I was around 21 and I have absolutely no injuries. I actually started with kettlebells first and added barbells after a few years. Anything around 300 in the Deadlift feels really heavy to me as I can only do singles at that point. I'm only 5'6 and not all that big or strong genetically but I still enjoy lifting.

I just ramp weight for a warm-up. I stretch often. In fact, if I'm not doing deadlifts and squats with a barbell, I gain flexibility relatively quickly. It's the deadlift that makes my hammies feel like wooden planks. I also enjoy doing stuff like Bent Presses. They don't give me any issues though.

I tried using a foam roller and I even tried a PVC pipe but I don't feel any real benefit from using them.

Charles, please buy and read Pavel's, "Relax Into Stretch."  You may like this page, on my web site, for a brief explanation of all of Pavel's flexibility materials:

http://kbnj.com/flexguide.htm

In the interest of "does he walk the walk?" I recommend you take a look on my site at pictures of my suspended splits and my van dam lift - I deadlift and compete regularly, I'm 60 years old, and until I was in my mid-40's, I couldn't touch past the middle of my shins, let alone my ankles, feet, or the floor.   Flexibility is a learned skill - take some time to learn and practice it and your deadlifts won't make your hamstrings complain.

Let's also add here that there are other reasons for tightness and soreness, and better deadlift technique may also help you, depending.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom