all posts post new thread

Old Forum Heavyhands video

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rob Lawrence

Level 3 Valued Member
Greetings SF team!

I found this old Heavyhands video online and thought some of you might be interested:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11v4ad_heavyhands-panaerobics_sport

My current training is low reps on the PLs, split-day schedule, pullup ladders, and then roadwork/conditioning after each abbreviated strength workout. I'm about to give HH a serious go as my conditioning and will let you know how it turns out.

I read about HH in Purposeful Primitive recently which piqued my interest. I read the book which is a fine piece of writing. I think a lot of the reason HH has died out is fashion. It was being marketed by an older guy which, people being people, limited its appeal. It also got mixed up with some unfortunate 80s fashion which also helped kill it.

I will see how the protocol works for me.

Yours in strength and related matters ...

Rob

This is very timely as I am thinking the same thing now that warm weather is on the return. Many thanks!

Joe

You're welcome Joe. FWIW, I also got a pristine copy of the book for $10 on Amazon Prime. Schwartz was a very talented writer with a gentlemanly style. Sadly I think that is also dated! It would be great to see someone qualified approach his estate and propose a Heavyhands "reboot" with a refresh of the image and other things that have prevented wider adoption.

Thanks - and good to see you back Rob! I haven't seen you post in quite a while.

Also, 50 points to you for saying it piqued your interest, rather than peeked or peaked. :)

Hey Rob,

I also discovered heavyhands while reading The Purposeful Primitive. I think the idea is great and it is system with very high rewards and very low risks as the movement are easily adoptable and infinite.

I tried it but couldn't get myself to like it. Why wife however loves it.

I think Marty Gallagher already wrote in his book about the death and the reasons for it. nobody read the book and thus the weights were just carried aroubd which had no effect and then the effort was stopped altogether.

Yeah I agreed with Marty's reasoning, but as a sometime marketer I'll also say, if some ripped 20 year old or cutesy fitness bunny had brought the product to market, it may have stuck better.

I don't make up such rules of gravity, but I do observe them.

Speaking of a modern reboot of Heavy Hands:

http://www.weightedhands.com/

I still have mine and I like to break them out every now and then. I've found that a minute or two of weighted HeavyHand swings + bodyweight strength moves (a la StrongFirst roadwork) for 20-30 minutes total makes for a nice aerobic session.

* Clarification: I still have my original HeavyHands. Also, I like to do the minute or two of HeavyHand swings ("ski poling" as Dr. Schwartz calls it) + a few reps of a bodyweight move repeatedly for 20-30 minutes.

Rob, great find!

I can see using heavyhands when aerobics are a priority and you need a break from jogging.  "Kettlebell jogging" is already in my toolbox, where I just keep a 20-pounder moving nonstop.

noone looses wait

Phil, thanks for the link to the "reboot."

Re ski poling, yes I also noticed the close resemblance to KB swings!

Thanks for posting, Rob! Marty Gallagher introduced me to Len years ago (he has passed since) and I was very impressed with the man and the method.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom