all posts post new thread

Old Forum Help for Powerlifting!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ahri22

Level 1 Valued Member
So just learned my gym is hosting a powerlifting competition in May, and after having a look at the results of some other competitions, I'm of the opinion that I wouldn't make a complete fool of myself if I compete (lol).

So what do you all think would be the best way to prepare?? I've seen LOTS of different programs and plans and stuff. To date I've been messing around with various combinations of sets/reps after reading different things (on the three main lifts). I'm also just getting back into the gym after some time off, so am still working my way back up! (I've also been doing S&S for the past few weeks which has been fun).

Now, a couple of things. 1. I will have to lose weight. Realistically there's no way I should compete at my current weight. By rights, at my height I should be competing in the lowest weight class (47kg) but that's not realistic, so I'm aiming to compete in 52kg weight class (current weight is about 56kg). So I need to be able to cut fat without losing strength (and preferably with gaining some strength too). I know this is a pretty tough call!! However, this opportunity hasn't presented itself before (at least locally... I mean I've looked into competing before, but all the other meets I've seen have been in other cities or interstate, so to see that they're competing at my gym in my town is kinda exciting).

Good article! I think I've read it before, but had forgotten it.

I think it's something I may put into practice (but I'll add 5lbs or 2.5kg each time not 10lbs... cause I'm female and small and in something like the bench press it'd just be impossible!)

Getting to the gym regularly can be a challenge with my current work schedule, but I'm managing 3-4 times most weeks.

As I understand this will be your first competition?  If so just have fun and don't worry about peaking and bodyweight.  Competing will change how you look at training and you will learn a lot. Have fun!

A short anecdote. My coach made me compete after three months of weightlifting.  Needless to say I was very excited and nervous. It is very different to lift on the platform. Do you have somebody to coach you through tgthe event?  That is very helpful when you have somebody who tells you when to wam up etc.

I haven't looked into having a coach, but maybe it's a good idea. My biggest issue there is having a regular "time" to be coached that isn't impeded by my random work schedule (I get called in at a moment's notice and can do shifts pretty much any time of day).

Most of the trainers at my gym seem to be more the bodybuilding types who do random things with their clients... although I am sure there ARE some powerlifters (never there when I'm there) or I guess they wouldn't be having a meet there at all?

Leon it's pretty game competing after 3 months, but well done! (And that's definitely a good idea, I think, to really get used to  what it all involves).

My coach at the time didn't change the training. So I didn't peak for this which would be ridiculous after three months anyway.  But lifting in a competition changed my approach and my view of training forever.

When you go to the meet alone talk to the other people there. I am sure their will be lots of fellow lifters who remember well how they felt in their first meet and thus more than willing to help you out.

Try to find a lifter that lifts fairly similar weights and copy their warm up lifts. So when do they start with the bar for the squat etc.

A few simple points.

Study the rules in advance and practice them in your training.

Pack your bag for the meet a few days before. Make a checklist.  Also think about snacks and drinks.

and don't change anything in the last two weeks of your training.  Don't ramp it up. Don't worry about peaking. Make sure you lift technically well and according to the rules.

And most importantly.  Have fun!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom