all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help me understand A+A protocol, please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrej SK

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello guys, I have to tell I'm a little bit lost concerning A+A protocols everyone speaks of in this forum.

Is it one particular protocol or is it a series of different protocols based on some principle ? What is the goal of it ? What exercises are inside ? Maybe silly questions...but I only see something here and there... where should I start if I want to understand the whole topic ?

I understand that it has to do with swings and C&P so far :)

Would such protocol be suitable for building routine of Swings and Push ups for example ? How ? :)

Thank you !

Yes, fresh from the Strong Endurance seminar in Chicago last weekend, I'll try to address your questions, though summarizing the huge amount of material is a challenge!

A+A is one subset of Anti-Glycolytic Training (AGT). A+A specifically aims to utilize the Alactic (or quick fuel; creatine phosphate or PCr energy that is in your muscles) and the Aerobic (or long-slow fuel energy system), and minimize the use of anaerobic glycolytic system. AGT in general also aims to minimize the use of anaerobic glycolysis, or at least limit it to a level that is less biologically costly so that the muscles produce a limited amount of acidic byproducts. It aims for adaptations that have the most beneficial effects for the least biological cost. It is about improving strength and endurance through targeting specific reactions and adaptations in your body while avoiding others.

It is not one particular protocol - there are many, each with their own specific target and application. Some are more limited in the specific exercises that are effective to achieve the desired effects, and others are more flexible.

To understand the whole topic, read all the blog articles that have these terms included. Or got to Italy in September and attend Strong Endurance...

Some of the protocols can be effectively used with swings and push-ups, yes! We saw one demonstrated with exactly that. Very generally speaking, you want to do a hard & fast work set, then recover, then repeat. Do that for a while. It will not be easy, but you should not get sweaty, hot, exhausted, or feel the burn. Just do hard work and then recover between the brief sets. Repeat for a while. Experiment. Make sure both your swings and push-ups are explosive. Do a reasonable quantity. Do this several times per week. Slowly build your tolerance for more.

The theory, simplified is to use high power movements (swing, snatch, clean and jerk) with moderately to heavy weights for just a few repetitions whereas a set lasts around 10 seconds. The rest can be around a minute or two supported by a bit of fast and loose and nose breathing to get ready and rested for the next set. This is not interval training with set rest periods "on the minute" training, but the rest periods take recovering ability into account from set to set. The rest periods are organic, sometimes you need more, sometimes you need less. A hr monitor can be a helpful tool to just monitor and comparing over some weeks.

The prerequisites above are to yield the following: fast twitch muscle fiber recruitment, which rely on ATP and Creatinphosphat predominantly, sparing glycolysis, replenishment of ATP and Creatinphosphat while resting adequately through the aerobic system.

Over the weeks months and years you build strength, power endurance, skill to get a set up, mastery of a lift to name just a few. You learn about adaptation and build up.

Practically I am 2,5 years into A+A first half of a year swings, then I am two years into mostly one arm snatches I started with 32kg and now I am "suddenly" doing repeats for three with 48kg. It is more a philosophy than just a protocol. A protocol lasts often six weeks, you do it and think: cool or not so cool, next one...a philosophy lasts some more years.

Dear Anna and Harald,

many thanks for taking the time to explain to me AA principle. I appreciate it ! Very interesting, I have never been thinking about these energy systems really... wow, it's a real science !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom