all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help with snatch work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shawn Skinner

First Post
Hello all, I’m familiar with kettlebells, as I had a class in college that spent a bit of time with them. Since then, I’ve been doing some work with them and feel that my swings and get ups are in good form. Once I move on to cleans and snatches, I’m not too sure. I’m uploading a video to show what they looked like with a 24kg Bell. My uncertainty is either the Bell is too heavy, or my form needs some work (or both). Any help is much appreciated!
24kg cleans/snatches:
16kg cleans/snatches:

Hi Shawn, looks decent and safe. The main thing I notice is that you have more of a GS style than hardstyle. Are you familiar with the differences?

Also the heavier snatch has a bit of a press-out at the top. More explosiveness in the hips to launch the bell (or more practice with the lighter weight) might be the way to go.

Agree with @Anna C. You definitely have more of a girevoy sport or "GS" style. There's nothing wrong with doing a GS style of snatch/clean - I'm training for a kettlebell meet at the moment myself. However, even in GS most competitors use more hip hinge than you do. You actually have more of an Olympic lift style with a vertical torso. It's actually impressive that you can snatch with that vertical of a torso and if you're using kettlebells as assistance work for Olympic lifting then what you're doing will probably have some carryover. However, if you just want to get better at kettlebells then you are short changing yourself by not using more of a hip hinge - you're not maximizing the use of your body's strongest muscle groups. That's also probably why you are pressing out your snatches at the top - your lower body just isn't providing you with enough oomph to launch the bell to the top.

There are plenty of folks here who can go over the points of the hardstyle technique. For the GS technique, there's a "little" more individual variation - some lifters use lots of hip hinge others very little.

The first video is of Ksenia Dedyukhina. I've used her video before to demonstrate GS technique not because she has very good technique.

The second video is of Ivan Denisov. He uses much less hip hinge, but there's still some there. I like this video because 238 snatches with a 32 kg in 10 minutes is beyond my capability and darn impressive.

There are other technique points with the GS snatch but these two videos should give you an idea of the basic hip hinge styles.

Last edited:
Just have to comment on the guy in blue next to Denisov. His technique is neither hardstyle nor GS. Looks like he came from an Olympic lifting background because his snatch is kind of "squatty" and he is using lots of quadriceps. I'll bet his lifting buddies dared him to do a GS competition. His is not an efficient technique if you're trying to get the maximum number of reps.

I see it's not a complete GS nor SFG standard. There's an energy saving mechanic like GS in the beginning and less energy conservation at the top in both clean and snatch.
The old mantra for correcting these will be "let me see your swing ".
It is not a matter of " my swing is okay, I know swing ".
Swing reveals your intent and self corrects your clean and snatch.

And, the 24kg kettlebell should not be caught at chest for snatch.

In addition to the above, if you would humor me on this one, the sneakers you're wearing in the above clips appear to be a bit too cushy for this kind of work. Consider going barefoot, or investing in some Chuck Taylor Converse or a similar minimalist shoe?

@Shawn Skinner : welcome to the forum :)
You need much more hip hinge, both in the clean and in the snatch. Both movements are "swinglike", so you do need to hinge. There is a nice taming of the arc in the clean, your elbow is nicely tucked to your body. In the snatch, try to go through a high pull before going into the snatch. At the moment, it looks to much like a snatch and a push upwards of the bell.
Any chance of meeting up with an SFG instructor?

An RKC taught me a technique similar to Shawn’s for the clean and snatch, back in 2002.
There weren't too many of us around in 2002. I was part of class #4, I believe, and that was held in April of 2003. I think the first was held in 2001.

-S-

There weren't too many of us around in 2002. I was part of class #4, I believe, and that was held in April of 2003. I think the first was held in 2001.

Actually, it could have been 2003. In or around Tempe, AZ. I don't remember much about him, though my clean and snatch improved rapidly after working with him.

Hard to imagine a time when kettlebells weren't ubiquitous... the only place I found to get one back then was dd - it was made in and shipped from Minnesota, iirc. S&H cost more than a brand new kb costs now o_O

On the c&
Hello all, I’m familiar with kettlebells, as I had a class in college that spent a bit of time with them. Since then, I’ve been doing some work with them and feel that my swings and get ups are in good form. Once I move on to cleans and snatches, I’m not too sure. I’m uploading a video to show what they looked like with a 24kg Bell. My uncertainty is either the Bell is too heavy, or my form needs some work (or both). Any help is much appreciated!On the C&S you’re rocking too much.
Hello all, I’m familiar with kettlebells, as I had a class in college that spent a bit of time with them. Since then, I’ve been doing some work with them and feel that my swings and get ups are in good form. Once I move on to cleans and snatches, I’m not too sure. I’m uploading a video to show what they looked like with a 24kg Bell. My uncertainty is either the Bell is too heavy, or my form needs some work (or both). Any help is much appreciated!
24kg cleans/snatches:
16kg cleans/snatches:

24kg cleans/snatches:
16kg cleans/snatches:

so

Hello all, I’m familiar with kettlebells, as I had a class in college that spent a bit of time with them. Since then, I’ve been doing some work with them and feel that my swings and get ups are in good form. Once I move on to cleans and snatches, I’m not too sure. I’m uploading a video to show what they looked like with a 24kg Bell. My uncertainty is either the Bell is too heavy, or my form needs some work (or both). Any help is much appreciated!On the C&S you’re rocking too much.
24kg cleans/snatches:
16kg cleans/snatches:

Agree with @Anna C. You definitely have more of a girevoy sport or "GS" style. There's nothing wrong with doing a GS style of snatch/clean - I'm training for a kettlebell meet at the moment myself. However, even in GS most competitors use more hip hinge than you do. You actually have more of an Olympic lift style with a vertical torso. It's actually impressive that you can snatch with that vertical of a torso and if you're using kettlebells as assistance work for Olympic lifting then what you're doing will probably have some carryover. However, if you just want to get better at kettlebells then you are short changing yourself by not using more of a hip hinge - you're not maximizing the use of your body's strongest muscle groups. That's also probably why you are pressing out your snatches at the top - your lower body just isn't providing you with enough oomph to launch the bell to the top.

There are plenty of folks here who can go over the points of the hardstyle technique. For the GS technique, there's a "little" more individual variation - some lifters use lots of hip hinge others very little.

The first video is of Ksenia Dedyukhina. I've used her video before to demonstrate GS technique not because she has very good technique.

The second video is of Ivan Denisov. He uses much less hip hinge, but there's still some there. I like this video because 238 snatches with a 32 kg in 10 minutes is beyond my capability and darn impressive.

There are other technique points with the GS snatch but these two videos should give you an idea of the basic hip hinge styles.

I’m no instructor, but neither of those snatch videos look like hardstyle. Also, I don’t see much hip hinge in either video. Am I missing something? I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m just confused. Thanks!

I’m no instructor, but neither of those snatch videos look like hardstyle. Also, I don’t see much hip hinge in either video. Am I missing something? I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m just confused. Thanks!

Those are not hardstyle they are GS videos. I posted them thinking that the OP wanted an alternative to hardstyle. I thought that was clear in my post.

@MikeTheBear I would caution to use these examples to learn the technique for a beginner. Those are the best gireviks in the world and as such have modified a more general technique to their specific needs. For instance Ivanisov swings the bell in an angle and not perpendicular to his upper body thereby resting one side more in order to be able to do more reps. These modifications are very useful but not a good starting point.
For a better instruction I suggest to consult a coach or have a look at Denis Kanygin's excellent technique DVDs about the competition lifts.

@Marlon Leon Tell Denis Kanygin that he owes you a commission on the sale of his DVD. Just bought it. The sample clips that he posted on Youtube sold me on it. He seems very articulate and intelligent. Enjoyed watching the Youtube clips.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom