all posts post new thread

Nutrition HGH or protein synthesis

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I confess that the idea of trying to be like myself but younger is lost on me. Whether or not my testosterone levels are, well, whatever - I keep lifting heavy things and minding my diet, and I let all that stuff do whatever it's going to do. And managing stress, and getting enough sleep - all these things are important for everyone at every age.

-S-

I confess that the idea of trying to be like myself but younger is lost on me. Whether or not my testosterone levels are, well, whatever - I keep lifting heavy things and minding my diet, and I let all that stuff do whatever it's going to do. And managing stress, and getting enough sleep - all these things are important for everyone at every age.

-S-

In my opinion this is the absolute best way to go!

-S-
I get hung up on particulars too much and that in and of itself probably impairs stress management.

My philosophy in this respect is to do what I can and snap up any low hanging fruit along the way. Beyond that, it is what it is.

When it comes to fitness and aging, just staying fit is 90% of what is possible. As @Marc stated, improving beyond physiologic range is realistically just not going to happen.

But, putting yourself consistently at the high end of that range has to be better than being at the low end. If you can do that and it fits with your existing goals, all the better.

So a bcaa drink won't cut it as it doesn't have the protein level as a whey shake even though it is abundant in leucine?

So a bcaa drink won't cut it as it doesn't have the protein level as a whey shake even though it is abundant in leucine?

Vague Statement

I am not sure how you came up with that conclusion.

Branch Chain Amino Acids

They are an effective supplement, providing there is enough Leucine in it.

Leucine triggers mTOR (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin). Think of mTOR as a "Light Switch" that turn on muscle growth.

When the "Light Switch" is on, it lights up the anabolic process.

Leucine Combined with Complete Amino Acid Proteins

Leucine alone is effective for increasing the anabolic response. However, the effect is enhance when combined with complete amino acid proteins; such as whey, casein, eggs, meats, cheese, milk, etc.

Amount of Leucine Needed

The amount of Leucine necessary to trigger mTOR is age dependent.

Approximately 2.5 grams plus of Leucine works for younger individual.

Approximately 3.0 plus grams of Leucine is need for older individual, compared to younger individuals.

Leucine Protein Percentages

The general guidelines for the percentage or Leucine in Protein is...

1) Whey: 10%. That means if you consume 30 gram of whey, you obtain approximately 3.0 of Leucine.

2) Casein, Meats, Cheese, Eggs: 8% Whey. That means if you consume 30 gram of whey, you obtain approximately 2.4 of Leucine.

To obtain 3.0 gram of Leucine, you'd need to consume 37.5 gr)

3) Vegan Proteins: The majority are extremely low in Leucine and proteins. I calculated that a vegan eating Beans and Rice would need to consume two cups!

Protein Dosage

The take home message of the Protein Percentages listed above mean the greater the Percentage of Leucine in the complete protein, the less you need to consume.

The lower the Percentage of Leucine in the complete protein, the more you need to consume.

Example:

Whey Beverage vs Two Cups of Beans and Rice.

Leucine or Branch Chain Amino Acids Between Meals

Dr Layne Norton's research indicates that Muscle Protein Synthesis may be spiked 1.5 hour after a meal by consuming Leucine or BCAAs.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I was basing it off the .55, .73, or the 1 gram per body weight of protein. The average bcaa drink/powder has about 10g of bcaa

I was basing it off the .55, .73, or the 1 gram per body weight of protein. The average bcaa drink/powder has about 10g of bcaa

The amount of protein per day is a factor. However, an even greater factor is the amount of protein (Leucine) consumed per meal/serving.

10 gram of BCAA don't give you enough information.

It amounts to getting a 10 lb bag of money.

What matter with the bag of money come down to wha it is it filled with; pennies, dimes, quarters or dollar bills.

The same thing applies the BCAA, you need to know how much Leucine it contains.

The amount of Isoleucine and Valine are a distant second.

Also, the Quality of a Complete Protein is a primary factor in determining the amount of Leucine you are obtaining.

That is reflected in the Percentages of Leucine in Complete Protein; the list that I posted.

You're in the right jungle but not following the right path.

Kenny Croxdale

Well for instance the bcaa I use is
Serving Size 1 Scoop (12.5 g) Servings Per Container 30 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
L-Leucine 3000 mg †
L-Glutamine 3000 mg †
L-Isoleucine 1500 mg †
L-Valine 1500 mg †
HICA (alpha-hydroxyisocaproic acid) 500 mg †
L-Lysine HCL 500 mg †
Which would be better the bcaa which would be fast acting, whey which would be fast to, or a protein blend which is more timed released?

Well for instance the bcaa I use is
Serving Size 1 Scoop (12.5 g) Servings Per Container 30 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
L-Leucine 3000 mg †
L-Glutamine 3000 mg †
L-Isoleucine 1500 mg †
L-Valine 1500 mg †
HICA (alpha-hydroxyisocaproic acid) 500 mg †
L-Lysine HCL 500 mg †
Which would be better the bcaa which would be fast acting, whey which would be fast to, or a protein blend which is more timed released?
B

Branch Chain Amino Acids

The brand you have is good. The focus on buying and taking it need to revolve around the amount of Leucine. You need approximately 2.5 to 3.0 gram per serving/meal to elicit Muscle Protein Synthesis.

Leucine by itself is effective. It it the "Work Horse". Isoleucine and Valine provide some assistance.

The 80/20 Rule

This rule applies to the Branch Chain Amino Acids, as well as just about everything in life.

Leucine elicits around 80% of the anabolic effect. The remaining Amino Acids the remaining 20%.

Energy Drinks and Supplements

The same occurs with Energy Drinks and Supplements.

The foundation of every "Energy Supplement" is Caffeine; 80% of the job is preform by Caffeine.

The remaining ingredients contribute around 20%.

One of the reason companies add additional ingredients is to increase their profit margin.

Check Out The Prices of...

1) Caffeine Tables vs "Energy Tablet or Beverages".

2) Check out the price of Leucine alone vs Branch Chain Amino Acids.

Which is Faster?

Branch Chain Amino Acids are much faster.

However, Faster doesn't equate to better. You are focusing on the wrong or incomplete question.

BCCA or Leucine Usage Recommendation

1) 1.5 hour post meal appears to enable you to spike mTOR, Muscle Protein Synthesis, as per Dr Layne Norton.

2) When consuming a meal in which you are not getting enough Protein/Leucine, spiking it with with BCAAs or Leucine works.

3) Vegans, for the most part, are not able to ingest enough quality protein, obtain enough Leucine. This group definitely need to spike their meals with Leucine.

Complete Protein

Consuming enough of a complete protein is more effective, overall, vs Branch Chain Amino Acids; that providing you are ingesting enough Quality Protein to obtain the right amount of Leucine.

Branched-Chain Amino Acid Ingestion Stimulates Muscle Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis following Resistance Exercise in Humans

"...BCAA ingestion alone does not maximally stimulate myofibrillar-MPS following exercise despite stimulation of translation initiation pathways. The lack of sufficient EAA appears to limit the response of myofibrillar-MPS following exercise. (MPS = Muscle Protein Synthesis, EAA = Essential Amino Acids)

Protein Blends

Overall, a Protein Bend is a better choice. It provide the...

Time Released Effect

1) Whey Protein: A "Fast Digested Protein" that enters your system in approximately 20 minutes and last up to around 120 minutes; dependent of if the Whey is Hydrolyzed, Isolate, Concentrate, etc.

Whey is also known as the "Anabolic Protein" due to its high Leucine content and quick digestion time.

2) Egg Protein: A "Medium Speed Protein" that remains in your system approximately 180 minutes.

3) Casein Protein: It remain in your system approximately 360 minutes. That is one of the reason Casein is recommended prior to going to bed; where you "Fast" for around 8 hours.

Casein is known as the "Anti-Catabolic" Protein due to is slow absorption time. Thus, even in an 8 hour "Fasting" sleep, it continues to "Feed the muscles".

Generally Speaking

The majority of individual need to consume a variety of proteins from regular foods or a Protein Powder Blend.

They need to consume three meals a day with enough protein to obtain the right amount of Leucine.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
If it is administered properly and physiological values are kept under regular (monthly) surveillance, HgH can dramatically improve skeletal muscle mass and definition, especially when combined with anabolic supplements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom