all posts post new thread

Old Forum High Bar Squat Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ronin135

Level 1 Valued Member
I did a round of S&S to get my GPP up and it worked pretty well. I didn't complete the simple goals but did get comfortable with the swings and TGUs with the 32kg bell.

Now I'm back to squating again with the goal to Squat 315 on Christmas day which I think is reasonable. And then my unreasonable-ish goal is to deadlift 405, too. I'm still haven't stalled on my linear progression: this was my first set today. For my hinge I'm just doing medium weight RDLs and two hand swings. My programming has basically been one lift a day.

How does my form look? Do you think these squats and pulls will have good carry over to the deadlift?

Your squat looks pretty good to me.

I think most powerlifters would tell you that a PL style squat, with the bar lower on your back and shins more vertical, would have better carryover to your deadlift but that doesn't necessarily mean you should change the way you squat unless you view your squat primarily as DL assistance and not as a lift unto itself.  The reason that style of SQ has better carryover is that it's essentially a DL but with the bar on your back instead of in your hands, and with a greater ROM for your hip.

-S-

Just took a quick look but a couple of things:

it looks like you are using a high bar position but a low bar form

this leads to the hips shooting up first and load on the back

Do you have a coach or PL or OL club in your area?

along with what Brett and Steve mentioned you also seem to be looking down at the floor - your body will follow your head and as you attempt heavier squats this head position could be a limiting factor - you also show a slight "butt wink" which places your hips and spine in a poor position at the base and will take away from your ability go heavier - neither of these will probably limit you from hitting 315 - it seems with the way you handled 265, that you could probably do 315 or more right now - getting use to having the weight on your back and keeping your whole body tight will get you well into the mid 300s, but keeping your head down and maintaining that hip roll at the base of your squat will keep you from getting into the double bodyweight range and above.

Two years ago I read Starting Strength and worked up to 315 for  triple. I did the linear progression and then a couple weeks of the Texas Method. Unfortunately, the workouts got real tough, and it didn't fit my work/life balance. I tried looking for a way out with the 40 Day workout by Dan John but it didnt quite fit. Thats when I found Pavel and the kettlebells. I bought some bells and fast forward two years (with some training A.D.D thrown in there) and here I am.

A couple months ago I read Never Let Go and Intervention, and it kinda stated to click. I started doing one lift a day doing hard (but manageable) punch the clock style workouts. Only recently have I stated adding in some accessory work (dips, pull-ups, fat bar curls).

So basically I grew-up on low bar squats, but now I'm trying to move to the high bar squats. The low bar is a more technical lift, and I just wanna get in and out. They als0 help me keep mobile the same way goblets squats have helped me. Squats are the only thing I go to the gym for. Its amazing the things I see people doing at the gym. It all seems like a waste of time. Everything else I do at home (floor press, push press, RDLs, Swings, etc).

So, if I'm reading your suggestions correctly; i need to keep practicing 1) staying tight 2) not looking down so much 3) not letting my hips shoot up first ?

With the exception of the bar placement, I think those were pretty good examples of the Starting Strength squat model.  When you first worked your Novice Linear Progression, did you use the low-bar and hands atop the bar specified in the book, or the grip/bar position you utilize here?

If you want to use the Starting Strength model, looking down is just fine to facilitate the required hip drive, and that community is refreshingly free of the endless and paralyzing Butt Wink Fret Fest that overtakes so many of these discussions.

You should post this exact vid over on their Coaches Q&A forum.

I used to do the low-bar squat with hands atop the bar like in the book. but now I'm trying to do more of and OLY squat that Dan John prefers. I think I'm just stuck in the middle because of muscle memory.

Steve would it be fair to say that in general raw lifters get less carry over from their squat to their deadlift?

Dan, I don't know but I don't think it equipped or not makes a big difference.   How you choose to squat is what, at least to my knowledge, make the difference.  If your squat more up and down - think high bar back squat or front squat - then I think there's less carryover than with a low bar, shins nearly vertical, hips back style of squatting.

And we should say that there is no "better" here - one could argue that the low bar style carries over better to the deadlift, but also that the front squat is a more different, and still fundamental movement pattern that is also worth training in the interest of completeness.

-S-

Steve,

Thanks for the reponse.  I understand more up and down would have less carry over to the DL vs more hips back.  I have zero experience here but my understanding is that a geared squat gives you  more ability to be more "good morningish" than without.  So that has made me imagine that geared lifters might have the benefit of more carry over from the squat to the DL than a raw powerlifter. Through the few videos I have seen of meets the raw lifters squats were less "good morningish" than the multiply lifters.  This may not be accuate though.

I wanted to post an updated video of my most recent 1+ set from the Wendler 5/3/1 program I have been following. Here is one of my back off sets too. I liked the discussion and feedback I got last time. I've been very happy with my decision to switch to high bar because the execution is so simple. Just put the bar on the traps and squat between the legs. My knees have felt great and I don't get should pain from squats.

I also tried narrow sumo deadlifts the past couple of weeks and they are much easier than conventional for me. Anyone else here do narrow sumo deadlifts? I'm curious because I don't see very many other people using that technique.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom