all posts post new thread

Kettlebell High Intensity Continuous Training (HICT) and kettlebells.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,
recently I gave "Ultimate MMA conditioning" a re-read and remembered about the training modality called HICT. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically short bursts of energy under high resistance for long duration, staying under the lactic threshold/MAF throughout the whole session. It works via
"stimulat(ing) greater oxygen utulization and results ini ncreased endurance of the fast twitch fibers."
- Joel Jamieson

How can you stay in aerobic zone under high resistance? After each rep you do a small pause. I think you can picture it best with a prowler. In HICT, instead of pushing/pulling it for a fixed interval of time, you would give it an explosive push, rest for ~5 seconds, give it another push, for 10-20 mins, for 1-2 series with a 5-10min break between them, 1-2 times a week.
Another example with a spinbike.
Here's a swing protocol created by a Strong First associate, also explains the modality better than I do here. However, the structure of the session seems a little bit different to what Joel Jamieson describes. What is more, it denounces snatches as an optimal option, I don't think I understand why.

As I read it, HICT sounds like the fourth pillar (first three pillars being Q&D, LSD and A+A) of unrelenting endurance. I didn't find it being mentioned on this forum, so I'd like to start discussion with the following questions:

Have you done it and experienced a boost in your endurance?
Should it only be done with grinds or are ballistics an option? Which kettlebell exercise would you consider the best for this purpose?
Would you consider "Strength Aerobics" a HICT protocol?

I'm really interested in what you think about it.

It sounds like it's trying to increase your alactic and aerobic efficiency.

Just like A + A.

Yes, the protocols are a little different (there are always differences in programming), but is it actually trying to develop anything unique compared to a A + A?

recently I gave "Ultimate MMA conditioning" a re-read and remembered about the training modality called HICT. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically short bursts of energy under high resistance for long duration, staying under the lactic threshold/MAF throughout the whole session. It works via

Cluster Set Training

This is Cluster Set Training.

Basically, mini sets within a set with short rest periods between the mini sets.

HICT is High Intensity Interval Cardio Training, know as High Intensity Interval Resistance Training when performed with weight/loads.

"stimulat(ing) greater oxygen utulization and results in increased endurance of the fast twitch fibers."
works via - Joel Jamieson

Oxymoron

You don't increase endurance in Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are expended in around 15 second or less.

That in part due to ATP Muscle depletion. That is why repetitions are kept low.

Restoration of ATP

Cluster Sets with rest periods between sub set allow for restoration of ATP. The restoration of ATP refuels them; brings them back to life.

Research shows the up to 50% of ATP is restored in around 30 seconds.

Right at 80% is restored in 45 seconds (Dr Gregg Haff, Cluster Set Training research)

Complete restoration of ATP is 3 minutes or longer.

Short Rest Periods Between Sub Sets In Cluster Sets

The shorter the rest periods between Cluster Sets, the lower the amount of Force Production achieved.

Less ATP Muscle Restoration means less force production is going to occur (less weight is going to be lifted).

Shorter rest periods fall more into conditioning/metabolic training.

This method has also been shown to be effective for increasing muscle mass; "Hypertrophy Cluster Set Training (research Dr Jonathan Oliver).

Long Rest Periods Between Sub Sets in Cluster Sets

The longer the rest periods between Cluster Sets, the higher the amount of Force Production achieved.

Longer Rest Period of around 45 seconds allow for more ATP Muscle Restoration.

That means you are going to be able to utilize more weight/resistance in the movement.

It also provide some conditioning, as well.

The same applies to various forms of High Intensity Interval Training...

Tabata Protocol

With this method 20 seconds of work is performed with 10 seconds of rest. It is repeated like that for 4 sets.

Supra-Maximal Intensity Interval Training

The primary difference is that up to 2 minute or longer rest intervals are taken between sets.

A good example is...

Dr Jamie Timmons HIIT Metod

Timmons' Supra-Maximal Intensity Training involves three 20 second Sprint.

Each sprint is followed by with a 2 minute recovery period of let's say walking.

Supra-Maximal Intensity Training is an effective method of increasing anaerobic, as well as aerobic capacity.

The longer rest periods endure greater Power Output and development.

I've used Supra-Maximal Training (specifically, Timmons Protocol) with other as a means of maintaining and developing power, which increasing their aerobic capacity.

Last edited:
I saw that article recently. They make it sound pretty good so I'd be interested in what the folks here think.

Training Objective

It depends on your training objective.

Metabolic Conditioning

If you objective is more for metabolic conditioning, ultra short rests periods between the Custer Sets works.

The weigh/load used is going to be limited in the development of Power and Maximum Strength.

Power and Maximum Strength

Taking longer rest between each set of clusters, allow for greater Power and/or Maximum Strength; dependent on the percentage of 1 Repetition Max used.

Should it only be done with grinds or are ballistics an option? Which kettlebell exercise would you consider the best for this purpose?
I think the intent is more akin to cluster sets of grinds. In the end, it seems like a density protocol. Instead of 5x5 with 5 minutes rest between sets, doing 1 rep every 15 seconds for 25 minutes enables a lot of volume at the same intensity. That increased volume also becomes a lot to recover from. I'm sure it creates some great DOMS though which is how many might judge the quality of training.

The body can only progress so much at a time, this type of training I think creates a tolerance to volume above the amount needed to adapt to training. That tolerance only makes it harder to make progress later on. I would only do this type of training for a short period like the week prior to a deload to break through a plateau of some sort.

doing 1 rep every 15 seconds

Longer Rest Periods

Longer rest period of around 45 seconds or more are necessary for increasing Power and Maximum Strength in Cluster Sets.

That the reason for....

"Every Minute on The Minute/On The Minute Training"

This method allows you less than 60 seconds of rest between one sub set of Cluster Reps.

With that said, when your fatigue set in creating a decrease in a Power Set, it is mandated that the set and/or exercise be terminated.

One power has dropped, Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are no longer working. The Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber take over.

I'm sure it creates some great DOMS though which is how many might judge the quality of training.

DOMS, Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness

Doing too much produce DOMS.

The keys with any training program is to ease into it. This eliminates or minimizes DOMS.

Quality of Training

As know, using DOMS as the yardstick for measuring the quality of training is based on a lack of knowledge.

The body can only progress so much at a time, this type of training I think creates a tolerance to volume above the amount needed to adapt to training. That tolerance only makes it harder to make progress later on. I would only do this type of training for a short period like the week prior to a deload to break through a plateau of some sort.

Adaptation

Once adaptation occurs, progress stops.

Periodization Training

One of the primary keys to ensuring progress is a well written/executed Training Plan for a set number or weeks.

In the final week, the intensity is increased. The following week, a new training cycle is begun which is light and easy.

Deloads

A short Deload of a week or less, may or may not work. It is dependent on multiple factors.

A short Deload is usually a short term fix that doesn't work well in the long run.

Last edited:
Does seem like a slightly altered a+a. Would be interesting if a+a was slightly better for those concerned with strength endurance and this for power endurance(im making up this term i think).

not sure how to test but trial of q&d cycled with a+a, then a test group of q&d cycled with hict would at least be interesting for me to read about.

Yes, the protocols are a little different (there are always differences in programming), but is it actually trying to develop anything unique compared to a A + A?

My uneducated guess is that A+A is more a name for a mechanism - alactic power with aerobic recovery. The HICT protocol would use the same mechanism but in a different ircumstance. "Traditional" A+A, or A+A "as we know it" teaches you how to aerobically recover from a 10-15 seconds of an alactic burst (think: a longer striking exchange), a HICT A+A would teach you how to stay below the MAF while performing super short, less-than-second alactic bursts (think: powerful single kicks every few seconds, as often displayed by the top Muay Thai fighters).

I'm not a physiologist, so excuse any mental shortcut and don't hesitate to point out any biological aberrations I commited in this post :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom