all posts post new thread

Bodyweight High Rep Lower Tension versus Low Rep Higher Tension

Nathan

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all,

Been going back and forth doing high / low rep and high / low tension work but I always notice that my weeks of low rep and high tension makes me feel stronger, more flexible, and more energized. High rep lower tension makes me feel terrible, run down, swollen and stiff. Anyone have insight as to why this happens? I feel as if I should do work in both extremes but maybe I don't need to?

Been going back and forth doing high / low rep and high / low tension work
Why?

but I always notice that my weeks of low rep and high tension makes me feel stronger, more flexible, and more energized. High rep lower tension makes me feel terrible, run down, swollen and stiff.
All the more reason to ask why you do it.

Some specifics would help to know.

-S-

Hello all,

Been going back and forth doing high / low rep and high / low tension work but I always notice that my weeks of low rep and high tension makes me feel stronger, more flexible, and more energized. High rep lower tension makes me feel terrible, run down, swollen and stiff. Anyone have insight as to why this happens? I feel as if I should do work in both extremes but maybe I don't need to?
Can you give a little more details what you mean by high rep low tension work that is running you down so much, and about your training and goals in general?

Hello,

Hello all,

I ran similar routines in the past, using big compound bodyweight moves, like push ups, pull ups, squats, etc... For instance, I reached 1K push ups a day, 2K squats, etc...

Flexibility and mobility wise, I agree with you. I never felt stiff or whatever. Feeling energized all day long but falling asleep easily was how I felt as well. All this volume was evenly distributed during the day, so I guess it prevented some "lethargy" and gave some hormonal boost to keep going.

Strength wise, I guess it depends where you already are. Indeed, if you are already fairly strong, and try to be even more stronger, this may not be the best strategy. You'll gain strength and some hypertrophy as well if you are relatively new to training, otherwise, it may "just" lean you out (which is not necessarily a bad thing if body composition through exercise is what you are after). Regarding the results I noticed, it maintained my strength (but I am of a strength endurance guy "by nature"): I was still able to to S&S for instance. It increased my press though, making the 24 more comfortable for instance.

As a drawback, this training volume was not time efficient. I'd favour a GTG approach with multiple moves, just to keep moving all day long. You may not necessarily need something super structured, but may just keep the moves varied to feel loose. I'd also focus on either strength or power: OAP, jumping squats, etc... The more you vary the ROM and moves, the more mobility you get / maintain. Focusing on strength moves, such as OAP instead of regular push ups will build strength while gaining or maintaining significant local muscular endurance (which is then a great by product). Working on power is also important because that's an ability we quickly use if we do not train it or as we age.

Kind regards,

Pet'

High rep lower tension makes me feel terrible, run down, swollen and stiff. Anyone have insight as to why this happens?
Are you equating volume in any way between high rep/low tension and low rep/high tension? Typically, the higher rep you go, the more recovery you might need. Think about the difference between bodybuilding (hitting one muscle group pretty hard once, maybe twice a week) and strength training (like SF style heavy/med/light over the course of the week) and even greasing the groove.

It’s also been shown that higher rep training tends to impact the nervous system more.

One is not “better” in any absolute sense. It depends on what you’d like to achieve and what training you like to do.

High rep lower tension makes me feel terrible, run down, swollen and stiff. Anyone have insight as to why this happens? I feel as if I should do work in both extremes but maybe I don't need to?

Sounds like you're getting a higher inflammatory response and more of a pump / swole.

And the "burn" metabolites may also be making you feel unpleasant.

Back
Top Bottom