all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Homeostasis - breaking it

Nightfly

Level 5 Valued Member
M 58, 6 3, 235lb. Seems my body does not want to change.

Kettlebells and bodyweight since January consistently.

For lent I have given up sweets/chocolate/ sugar. For the last 4 weeks, been having liquids only for 20 hours, then feeding window as normal 4h hours for dinner.

Scale movement since January -0- 2lb. Depending on day.

Measurements - exactly the same, everywhere.

I do lift a bit heavier, but obviously fooling myself overall about what can be achieved. My measurements are fairly stable for 10 years now. I'm not in bad shape for my life but don't compare to the sfg crowd at a cert.

Sheesh, what does it take to force change. Advice welcome.

For lent I have given up sweets/chocolate/ sugar. For the last 4 weeks, been having liquids only for 20 hours, then feeding window as normal 4h hours for dinner.

I do lift a bit heavier, but obviously fooling myself overall about what can be achieved. My measurements are fairly stable for 10 years now. I'm not in bad shape for my life but don't compare to the sfg crowd at a cert.

I would suggest tracking everything that goes into your mouth for 1-2 weeks to see how much you are consuming.

Then perhaps sharing your training program for the last three months.

Then perhaps we can start giving useful advice.

I too have a very sticky waistline and scale weight. my body likes adding mass. it doesn't seem to like taking it away. I have had luck with adding muscle, on purpose; adding fat by accident. and, losing either seems difficult at this point.

I have a lot of experience that comports with what some people call, "SetPoint Theory". which is to say, I think there's some credibility to the idea that there are certain configurations of fat mass, muscle mass, and other conditions in the body, that has an effect on hunger and intake which effects mass accumulation. there are underlying reasons (mechanisms of control) why we are the way we are.

in my experience, there is something like an 80/20 or 90/10 split of diet/exercise effects.
exercise effects in general have never been zero for me. but they've never been dominant, or close to dominant.

I've just finished reading Easy Strength for Fat Loss, so ... I'll say that it's of interest that there may be more specific interactions between Exercise and diet that may be of interest, but I digress.

I have struggled with my waistline and the most effective tool I've had is fasts beyond 24 hours.

My most aggressive, most specific fast:
the deepest fast I ever took was about 4 weeks of eating 1 meal of 2lbs of ground beef with some cheese and hot sauce on top, every third day. in the interim, I used carbonated water to drink to preserve my stomach size so I could eat these meals. so. on a 72-hour cycle, I ate a single meal. this was to meet the body fat % for my last contract signing with the army. in 4 weeks I went from 225 to 205, and a waistline of about 40 inches to 36 inches. I was just over 200 lbs. at the weigh-in. and I remember being a little unhappy I didn't get into the 100s, but c'est la vie.​

I say all that to say this.

it would seem to me, that there seems to be a step or a cliff, or a margin, whatever we want to call it, where the body will be able to cope with some adjustments to maintain a given set point. and sometimes we need to take a certain metric beyond some threshold amount of change, to get some results going.

relative to your post, I would suggest considering spreading your fasting windows a bit. maybe eat twice one day and fast for the whole day the next on occasion, or more regularly, instead of once daily. maybe consider alternating meal sizes more drastically.

also, I would humbly suggest Dr. Ted Naiman's P:E Diet book. (that's Protein:Energy ratio). I have found it to be of use.
LINK: The P:E Diet

Experimentation(Anecdote):
Furthermore, I would suggest that, as you experiment, do use a log to look back at your experience so that you can evaluate your results more precisely.​
One thing I've found to be a surprise is looking more carefully at my logged info, I may have had a more positive weight loss response when I have a more classical ketogenic diet, than the modern higher protein ratios I use. I believe this has to do with certain specific conditions I suffer from, but a higher fat-to-protein ratio has yielded me substantial weight loss during a previous cut. it could be the case that I'm more amenable to the classical ketogenic formulations for purposes of mobilizing fats. The reason I say that is while I used heavy cream drinks to supplicate my calories during a cut, my waist descended to 35 inches, while my weight was circa 215 lbs. This was around the time they instituted a new rule allowing for weigh-in 30 days after Physical Fitness tests; and I was drinking buttered coffee in the morning, anyway, and ... I was trying out what they call fat fasts. but, as my wife complained. "cream is expensive, Why the hell are you drinking all this cream!?"​
anyways. I'll never forget going in to drill with my unit, at the time, I took off my top since we were going to be moving boxes around in supply, and I was receiving unsolicited comments from my peers about how much better I was looking(I remember looking down and noticing that I was a bit more svelt than other times). it was an unusual experience. I was using a "Fat Fast" but, I didn't really know what I was doing, and things changed and I haven't really gotten back to trying that one again; although I'd kind of like to, now. Again, I digress. if you can, Write things down as you go along, and it will help a lot with learning from an experience. I have the benefit of some of my records from PT tests and Weigh-ins with the army. knowledge is power, and memory fails. write it down.​
To tie it back: I provide the above anecdote about drinking cream, because this is something I saw when I was perusing my notes I found in a small green booklet in a backpack I stashed in my closet(notes about drinking buttered coffee in the morning and a glass of cream, and remembering about my weigh in, from years ago), and I was cleaning out the backpack, after getting home from getting out processed from the army for retirement (just about a week ago, actually). written notes present a very high-value proposition; even years later. whatever you're doing, if you want to learn from it, write it down.​

Do feel free to try something one or two steps away from your current situation, rather than tweaking something in small ranges. maybe in short time windows (maybe a couple of weeks max) to see how a more acute adjustment affects your situation.

And, with all that said about eating, I've been having some positive experiences with small doses of HIIT, as they call it, which, I'm having an easier time dissociating from a puke circuit since reading Dr. Gibala's book One Minute Workout. Its effects on my composition are Non-Zero, but the observations at this point are ongoing, and I'm still waiting to get a clearer picture of the net effects I'm seeing. At the very least, for my small time commitment availability, it's been useful to entertain shorter, more intense workloads, in general.
Link: One Minute Workout (Amazon) if you're interested.

just doing my best to speak as well as I can from my own experiences.
YMMV
Best wishes in pursuing your goals.

I too have a very sticky waistline and scale weight. my body likes adding mass. it doesn't seem to like taking it away. I have had luck with adding muscle, on purpose; adding fat by accident. and, losing either seems difficult at this point.

I have a lot of experience that comports with what some people call, "SetPoint Theory". which is to say, I think there's some credibility to the idea that there are certain configurations of fat mass, muscle mass, and other conditions in the body, that has an effect on hunger and intake which effects mass accumulation. there are underlying reasons (mechanisms of control) why we are the way we are.

in my experience, there is something like an 80/20 or 90/10 split of diet/exercise effects.
exercise effects in general have never been zero for me. but they've never been dominant, or close to dominant.

I've just finished reading Easy Strength for Fat Loss, so ... I'll say that it's of interest that there may be more specific interactions between Exercise and diet that may be of interest, but I digress.

I have struggled with my waistline and the most effective tool I've had is fasts beyond 24 hours.

My most aggressive, most specific fast:
the deepest fast I ever took was about 4 weeks of eating 1 meal of 2lbs of ground beef with some cheese and hot sauce on top, every third day. in the interim, I used carbonated water to drink to preserve my stomach size so I could eat these meals. so. on a 72-hour cycle, I ate a single meal. this was to meet the body fat % for my last contract signing with the army. in 4 weeks I went from 225 to 205, and a waistline of about 40 inches to 36 inches. I was just over 200 lbs. at the weigh-in. and I remember being a little unhappy I didn't get into the 100s, but c'est la vie.​

I say all that to say this.

it would seem to me, that there seems to be a step or a cliff, or a margin, whatever we want to call it, where the body will be able to cope with some adjustments to maintain a given set point. and sometimes we need to take a certain metric beyond some threshold amount of change, to get some results going.

relative to your post, I would suggest considering spreading your fasting windows a bit. maybe eat twice one day and fast for the whole day the next on occasion, or more regularly, instead of once daily. maybe consider alternating meal sizes more drastically.

also, I would humbly suggest Dr. Ted Naiman's P:E Diet book. (that's Protein:Energy ratio). I have found it to be of use.
LINK: The P:E Diet

Experimentation(Anecdote):
Furthermore, I would suggest that, as you experiment, do use a log to look back at your experience so that you can evaluate your results more precisely.​
One thing I've found to be a surprise is looking more carefully at my logged info, I may have had a more positive weight loss response when I have a more classical ketogenic diet, than the modern higher protein ratios I use. I believe this has to do with certain specific conditions I suffer from, but a higher fat-to-protein ratio has yielded me substantial weight loss during a previous cut. it could be the case that I'm more amenable to the classical ketogenic formulations for purposes of mobilizing fats. The reason I say that is while I used heavy cream drinks to supplicate my calories during a cut, my waist descended to 35 inches, while my weight was circa 215 lbs. This was around the time they instituted a new rule allowing for weigh-in 30 days after Physical Fitness tests; and I was drinking buttered coffee in the morning, anyway, and ... I was trying out what they call fat fasts. but, as my wife complained. "cream is expensive, Why the hell are you drinking all this cream!?"​
anyways. I'll never forget going in to drill with my unit, at the time, I took off my top since we were going to be moving boxes around in supply, and I was receiving unsolicited comments from my peers about how much better I was looking(I remember looking down and noticing that I was a bit more svelt than other times). it was an unusual experience. I was using a "Fat Fast" but, I didn't really know what I was doing, and things changed and I haven't really gotten back to trying that one again; although I'd kind of like to, now. Again, I digress. if you can, Write things down as you go along, and it will help a lot with learning from an experience. I have the benefit of some of my records from PT tests and Weigh-ins with the army. knowledge is power, and memory fails. write it down.​
To tie it back: I provide the above anecdote about drinking cream, because this is something I saw when I was perusing my notes I found in a small green booklet in a backpack I stashed in my closet(notes about drinking buttered coffee in the morning and a glass of cream, and remembering about my weigh in, from years ago), and I was cleaning out the backpack, after getting home from getting out processed from the army for retirement (just about a week ago, actually). written notes present a very high-value proposition; even years later. whatever you're doing, if you want to learn from it, write it down.​

Do feel free to try something one or two steps away from your current situation, rather than tweaking something in small ranges. maybe in short time windows (maybe a couple of weeks max) to see how a more acute adjustment affects your situation.

And, with all that said about eating, I've been having some positive experiences with small doses of HIIT, as they call it, which, I'm having an easier time dissociating from a puke circuit since reading Dr. Gibala's book One Minute Workout. Its effects on my composition are Non-Zero, but the observations at this point are ongoing, and I'm still waiting to get a clearer picture of the net effects I'm seeing. At the very least, for my small time commitment availability, it's been useful to entertain shorter, more intense workloads, in general.
Link: One Minute Workout (Amazon) if you're interested.

just doing my best to speak as well as I can from my own experiences.
YMMV
Best wishes in pursuing your goals.
Great reply thank you, good to hear your experiences. It will take some time to digest all that

If you don’t have a training log, I would start one. Check out others training log and see what others are doing. It will help to get some motivation. Put some goals down and stick to it.
I do have a log going back a fair while. I read you guys here and get regular emails from Geoff etc, it is all v inspiring (though not good for messarounditis)
I guess I'm disappointed that's all. Maybe the minimal training I've become addicted to, that fits my lifestyle, can only go so far.

I would suggest tracking everything that goes into your mouth for 1-2 weeks to see how much you are consuming.

Then perhaps sharing your training program for the last three months.

Then perhaps we can start giving useful advice.
Appreciate your input!
Have not been food logging, but the lent period has been pretty disciplined (for me).

Training is 20/50 type density workout 2x per week.
1 day of snatches so up to 100/session (50/arm)
1 day double clean and jerk (up to 50/ session).
There was some progression here, from 20kg bells now starting on 28's, thoughits heavy.

2x weekly callisthenics push pull squat for 3-6 sets each, ended somewhere near failure. Not been pushing this so "however it feels" till I stop.

Otherwise I'm fairly active with the kids scooting, walking, working on the allotment, odd games in the park.

I admit it's not an approved regime but it fitted my winter lifestyle with the equipment I have and the cold/rain. I could now change in spring.

The leanest I have been in recent years was playing touch rugby 3x week but that's 15 years ago. No way could I play nowadays, too hard on the knees.

Thanks for any advice -reality check needed.

At 6’3” and 235lbs you probably carry it fairly well but being 53 yes you would feel and look better if you lost 20-25lbs. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Are you stressed all the time? For me walking 5-6 miles a day pretty much allows me to eat what I want but believe me I know what it feels like being tired from work so I understand if you don’t have the energy or time. I’m a nobody on the internet but your situation may no be workout related. More is not always better. Well these a my thoughts, just trying to help.

Much success,

Appreciate your input!
Have not been food logging, but the lent period has been pretty disciplined (for me).

Training is 20/50 type density workout 2x per week.
1 day of snatches so up to 100/session (50/arm)
1 day double clean and jerk (up to 50/ session).
There was some progression here, from 20kg bells now starting on 28's, thoughits heavy.

2x weekly callisthenics push pull squat for 3-6 sets each, ended somewhere near failure. Not been pushing this so "however it feels" till I stop.

Otherwise I'm fairly active with the kids scooting, walking, working on the allotment, odd games in the park.

I admit it's not an approved regime but it fitted my winter lifestyle with the equipment I have and the cold/rain. I could now change in spring.

The leanest I have been in recent years was playing touch rugby 3x week but that's 15 years ago. No way could I play nowadays, too hard on the knees.

Thanks for any advice -reality check needed.
Maybe the minimal training I've become addicted to, that fits my lifestyle, can only go so far.
I can share my experience working with clients and myself. I have never been a "naturally lean" person, put weight on quickly and take it off slowly, and going into my SFG1 weekend I was dieting pretty hard to try and get in under the 220lb limit for testing with 24kg.

For fasting, even when being very strict, I found it hard to keep my calories low enough to lose weight. I know some people rave about fasting's almost magical ability to strip off body fat "effortlessly," but I found I could put away so much food in my "window" as to merely maintain weight. Eating less - whether through fasting or calorie control or whatnot - is essential. And for people that say "I'm already barely eating anything!" then I recommend tracking EVERYTHING that goes in their mouth for a week as well as weighing themselves daily (first thing upon waking after peeing). Two weeks is better. This is simply to establish a baseline... and often make us aware of "extras" that are getting in here and there that are contributing to our daily caloric load. The two weeks - it is often "easy" to eat a certain way for a day, or two, or three ... but not for 14! This gives us a more realistic baseline than if we simply looked at a 2-3 day period, and includes weekends where people can go "off the rails." I want to be clear - I am NOT accusing you of breaking your religious fast.

As for training, I think you already hit it on the head. Minimal training gets good results, but if it is not getting you the results you need you may need to change what you are doing. I am not concerned about an "unapproved" training regimen, but it sounds like doing more will be good. This could be a couple easy runs a week, or increasing the effort in those 20 minutes, or making your sessions longer/more frequent than 2x 20 minutes a week. For instance, instead of 2x20 minutes, you could do 4 x 15 minutes, or make your 2 sessions from 1 20 minute block to 2 15 minute blocks. One idea would be to add 15 minutes of front/goblet squats and 15 minutes of clean and presses. Another idea is to make your calisthenics more difficult by adding a weight vest - for instance, add 20lbs weight vest and work on accumulating 150 squats, 100 pushups, and 50 pull-ups in 10 rounds (15 squats... 10 pushups... 5 pullups... x 10). If that sounds "extreme" for a single session - build up to it. (By the way ... that is a really fun but absolutely brutal session. I try to do it in 30 minutes, which means a set on the minute.)

Hopefully something there helps. Feel free to message me if you want more specific help and we can hash out a program that works for you.

Counting Calories

As per...
tracking everything that goes into your mouth...Eating less - whether through fasting or calorie control or whatnot - is essential.
You need to track your daily intake of calories for both gaining and losing weight.

Three Day Recall

This is an effective method of determine your Daily Average Calorie Intake.

1) Count you calorie for three days.

2) One day need to be a weekend day where your diet often changes.

3) Add you three day total up. Then divide by three foe you Daily Aveage

Gaining or Losing Weight

The same principle applies to both.

The 20% Rule

Drs. John Ivy and Layne Norton, independent of each other, determined...

1) Decreasing your calorie intake approximately 20% from your Daily Average is the most effective at maximizing fat loss and maintaining muscle mass.

2) Increasing your calories intake approximately 20% from your Daily Average is the most effective at maximizing an increase in muscle mass and minimizing fat gain.

The MATADOR Diet

Weight Loss

This research determined that alternating a lower calorie intake below maintenance for approximately two week followed by an increase in calorie intake for approximately two weeks was effective. This alternating of the diet every two weeks in this manner was followed until the goal weight was achieved.

This approach was shown effective for decreasing body while and preserving muscle mass.

Gain Weight

The MATADOR Diet is also effective for individual in gaining weight.

However, in this case, increasing calorie above maintenance for approximately two week followed by calorie intake back down for approximately two weeks is effective. This alternating of the diet every two weeks in the manner was followed until the goal weight was achieved.

The foundation of this method is...

The General Adaptation Syndrome

This means the body learn and adapts to new conditions, as means of surviving.

Research shows that in a Weight Loss or Weight Gain Diet, it take approximately 2 week for the body to adapt to the new lower or higher calorie intake.

What occurs is the body will decrease your Metabolic Rate when on a weight loss diet. It adapts. When adaptation occurs, progress stops.

That applies to gaining weight, as well. The body will revise your Metabolic Rate. This means, your new higher calorie intake now becomes your maintenance level. Which means you are no longer gaining weight.

Exercise For Weight Loss

Exercise is minimally effective for weight loss.

The benefit of Exercise is that it preserves muscle mass.

With that in said, High Intensity Interval Training and/or High Intensity Interval Resistance Training are one of the most effective methods.

FORGET THE FAT-BURN ZONE
High Intensity Aerobics Amazingly Effective
https://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

...The total energy cost of the Endurance Training program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skinfold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. "Moreover," reported the researchers, "when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program." In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising.

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC

The reason as to why HIIT and HIIRT are so effective has to with EPOC.

EPOC amounts to OverCharging your Credit Card. You are allowed to pay it off but it cost more because interest is added on.

EPOC does essentially the same thing. In this case, you metabolism is charged more than it can immediately pay back.

Your "Metabolic Credit Card" allows you to pay it back over time with interest that is take out of your "Fat Bank Saving Account".

With that said, let look and example of your...

"Fat Bank Saving Account"

Let's say your at 235 lbs, your 15% Body Fat; which is normal for health men.

15% X 235 = 35.25 lb of Body Fat.

Calories In A Pound of Fat

There is 3,500 calories in a pound of fat.

The Calorie In Your "Fat Bank Saving Account"

3,500 calories in a pound of fat X 35.25 pound of Body Fat equals...

123,375 Calories in your "Fat Bank Saving Account"

Last edited:
THIS x 1000.

EVERYTHING. EVERY. THING.
Ok. Has it worked for you? How long did you have to maintain it before it became "natural".

As an aside, I was talking to a nutritionist in the pub ( of course) and she believes gut health/ unprocessed natural food sources is far more important than cico, even suggesting cico doesn't work on all her clients (private practise).
But I'll get back on myfitnesspal.

Ok. Has it worked for you? How long did you have to maintain it before it became "natural".

As an aside, I was talking to a nutritionist in the pub ( of course) and she believes gut health/ unprocessed natural food sources is far more important than cico, even suggesting cico doesn't work on all her clients (private practise).
But I'll get back on myfitnesspal.
Nobody around here is going to go against consuming so called unprocessed natural food sources. (Bear in mind even a bottle of drinking water has been processed)

But as far as calories go… you just can’t cheat physics…

Nobody around here is going to go against consuming so called unprocessed natural food sources. (Bear in mind even a bottle of drinking water has been processed)

But as far as calories go… you just can’t cheat physics…
Thank you.

And to answer you, Nightfly - yes, when I was actively trying to manipulate my weight it worked to gain and lose weight. (IMHO) How long until it becomes second nature will depend on what you are trying to do - if it's misery, then maybe it will never become second nature. If it's just to maintain, then it might not take long.

Calories in/out can’t be beat, but it isn’t necessarily “complete” - food is more than just calories. It provides more or less fullness for more or less longer, and it fits in a social environment too. 100 calories of carbs can look like a small slice of bread or a giant bowl of broccoli, or a medium plateful of roasted broccoli.

Tracking your calories gives you a baseline, based on how you eat and measure and what your body does to start. If you aren’t losing weight - you need to find the “leak.” If you can’t “stick” to your diet you need to understand why - are you emotionally eating? Or you not accounting for oils and sauces? Are you too hungry? How can you eat more so you are more full while still eating “enough” to lose weight?

In the end, if you eat too many calories you will gain weight and if you eat little enough you’ll lose weight - but that’s the “summary.”

Not to muddy the waters here.

But I’m not a fan of calorie counting as a starting spot. First it is important to tackle the easy stuff.

Do you snack? Stop. If you are hungry between meals eat more protein veggies and fruits.

Do you finish meals in less than 20 minutes? Slow down. Put the fork down every bite. Chew your food a bit more.

Do you drink booze regularly? Cut down on that. Maybe start with only drinking once a month. Work up to a couple times a year.

Do you eat mostly plants in their unprocessed form? If not try to make your plate at every meal mostly plants.

Do you eat 1-2 palm sized portions of lean protein every meal? If not start.

Start by picking one or two of the above practices and keep a tally every time you do it. The goal is to build some good habits without having to deal with a pass fail mentality that is pretty detrimental to your food relationship.

Josh Hillis has a fantastic book about this habit based approach called “lean and strong” you can borrow a free copy over at OTPbooks.com. I’d recommend buying a copy if you like it.

Once you have built up the basic food skills then move on to more direct approaches like macro and calorie counting.

As far as things like fasting go, if you try it and it works, great. But if you try it and gain all your weight back, skip. There isn’t really anything special about fasting. You aren’t going to get special autophagy or anything like that from it. It all works via caloric restriction. It does have a potential to create a binging habit though.

I should mention that I learned this through a bunch of research and personal experience. I did the statistically improbable and lost 30-40 lbs (I don’t know my top weight because I stopped getting on the scale at around 260) and actually kept it off for years. It worked great for me and I’d guess it would work great for others.

M 58, 6 3, 235lb. Seems my body does not want to change. ... My measurements are fairly stable for 10 years now.

If you're not gaining 1-2 pounds of fat per year, and you're retaining your muscle, you are doing _way_ better than most people your age. You are winning. OK, not winning as much as you'd like, but you're still winning. If you don't believe me, Google, "how much weight does the average American male in his 50's gain every year?"

Guaranteed results will come from: eat less, eat better, move more in Zone 2 and below cardio - and keep strength training. Specifics:

If you don't walk, start. Build up to 40-60 minutes of walking, which would be around 3 miles, on average. Take some days off, but have some days in which you walk 5 or 6 miles, too.

Do Kettlebell AXE or some other Strong Endurance protocol if you aren't already. I love AXE because it's about 30 minutes, twice a week, which I can fit into my schedule in a way that S&S every day just didn't fit.

Cycle your lifting. Spend the $ and get a custom PlanStrong plan, or read up on the principles and write your own, or try any of Fabio's BuilsStrong programs or Reload, or try any of the many other solid approaches to strength training that get discussed regularly on this forum.

Keep the goal, the goal (credit to @Dan John). If you want to change your body composition, measure your results and adjust your programming of food and exercise until the results are what you want. Dropping bodyweight is a matter of eating less, which some people find uncomfortable but since a lot of the world goes to bed hungry every night, I do my best not to whine about it when I'm going to bed hungry because I need to lose weight. I weight myself every morning, and for several weeks before a competition with a Friday morning weigh-in, I practice being at my lightest on Friday mornings.

Paying attention to your body composition and your health is the ultimate gift - you're giving yourself permission to be self-indulgent by focusing on something that physically benefits you and not another human being, but at the same time you're giving a gift to those you love, people who want you to be around for a long time and be healthy for as long as you're here because they selfishly want to enjoy your company for as long as they can. And last but not least, you're being a good example to everyone in your world.

-S-

Track macro and micronutrients as well as calories (as other have suggested) but, you alo need to look more broadly at things. Homeostasis is relevant in that human adapt to all the net summation of all positive and negative stimuli that are present 24 hours a day. This means considering sleep, de-stress (from both physical and mental sources) and all the other factors as they all contribute to the final net outcome. Another possibility is gaining some lean muscle whilst losing some fat which can create the impression of a stall when this is not the case. All food for thought (rather than the waistline).

I can share my experience working with clients and myself. I have never been a "naturally lean" person, put weight on quickly and take it off slowly, and going into my SFG1 weekend I was dieting pretty hard to try and get in under the 220lb limit for testing with 24kg.

For fasting, even when being very strict, I found it hard to keep my calories low enough to lose weight. I know some people rave about fasting's almost magical ability to strip off body fat "effortlessly," but I found I could put away so much food in my "window" as to merely maintain weight. Eating less - whether through fasting or calorie control or whatnot - is essential. And for people that say "I'm already barely eating anything!" then I recommend tracking EVERYTHING that goes in their mouth for a week as well as weighing themselves daily (first thing upon waking after peeing). Two weeks is better. This is simply to establish a baseline... and often make us aware of "extras" that are getting in here and there that are contributing to our daily caloric load. The two weeks - it is often "easy" to eat a certain way for a day, or two, or three ... but not for 14! This gives us a more realistic baseline than if we simply looked at a 2-3 day period, and includes weekends where people can go "off the rails." I want to be clear - I am NOT accusing you of breaking your religious fast.

As for training, I think you already hit it on the head. Minimal training gets good results, but if it is not getting you the results you need you may need to change what you are doing. I am not concerned about an "unapproved" training regimen, but it sounds like doing more will be good. This could be a couple easy runs a week, or increasing the effort in those 20 minutes, or making your sessions longer/more frequent than 2x 20 minutes a week. For instance, instead of 2x20 minutes, you could do 4 x 15 minutes, or make your 2 sessions from 1 20 minute block to 2 15 minute blocks. One idea would be to add 15 minutes of front/goblet squats and 15 minutes of clean and presses. Another idea is to make your calisthenics more difficult by adding a weight vest - for instance, add 20lbs weight vest and work on accumulating 150 squats, 100 pushups, and 50 pull-ups in 10 rounds (15 squats... 10 pushups... 5 pullups... x 10). If that sounds "extreme" for a single session - build up to it. (By the way ... that is a really fun but absolutely brutal session. I try to do it in 30 minutes, which means a set on the minute.)

Hopefully something there helps. Feel free to message me if you want more specific help and we can hash out a program that works for you.
When I first logged how much I was eating during a given day, I was seriously surprised. Looking in to my first logs, I said there is no way that I am eating this much.

When I first logged how much I was eating during a given day, I was seriously surprised. Looking in to my first logs, I said there is no way that I am eating this much.
It can be quite surprising how much I can consume if I’m not paying attention… 4000 calories is not a hard number to hit for me.

Back
Top Bottom