all posts post new thread

Barbell How about this?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shon

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm wondering, If one does not have access to either dumbells or kettlebells, or it's because can't afford to buy, what do you guys think of training with xertubes, the heavy resistance ones? Is it necessary? will I be able to train it like how someone else trains with weights? If so, what's the kind of training I should do?

Yes, it is possible to build great strength with strand pulling. I have not done it personally (as I only recently received a strand), but it was very popular among old time strongmen (Danks, Inch, Sandow, Vanderzande, just to name a few)

Chest Expander Archives - www.oldtimestrongman.com

Fabled Cables cable set for fitness, travel - IronMind-www.ironmind-store.com are what I own. I'm pretty happy with them.

The Hook | Strand Pulling | Chest Expander The hook is also quite good and popular

you will notice that these are both short expanders. this is preferable for strength activities, you do not want a long expander

John Brookfield's book

Alfred Dank's old time strong man books about chest expanders

hope these resources help you out

Hello,

@shon
What is your goal ?

Rubber bands of different thickness may also be interesting (light, possibly high resistance, no space, cheap).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think rubber bands and tubes are fine training tools due to the fact they are cheap and portable and you can customize their resistance easily. I even train hinge movements (deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts, good mornings,...) with heavy resistance bands. I like also military and see saw presses with bands.
Having said that, I think they are better for upper body and less user friendly -but doable- for squats. I remember a time on vacation when I went running in a park with a backpack on where I had a heavy band. I stopped to do push ups, pull ups -there were bars - and pistols and cossack squats, which I suppersetted with heavy band deadlifts. I felt bands somewhat impractical for squats in that circumstance, but your mileage may vary.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom