all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How are you pacing your S&S

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you aim for 10x swing every 30s or 20x swing every minute?

Do you aim for 1x TGU every minute or 2x TGU every other minute?

Or do you front load more reps in your first sets and taper?
I do the next set when I feel like it. According to Pavel, there are benefits either way. I think it's a bit unsafe to do them too close together, so I'll err on the side of caution and let the times be longer rather than shorter. I do do 20 reps at once of swings when I can though.

"If" the MAF formula applies to you, your swing sets should not cause your heart to jump too much higher than your MAF. But IMO, VR supersedes HR for an S&S session. If you're new to KB ballistics, you should see your HR drop while VR stays the same.[/QUOTE]
If" the MAF formula applies to you, your swing sets should not cause your heart to jump too much higher than your MAF.
Thanks for the response. I am finding this discussion enlightening. Seeking clarification. When would the MAF formula not apply other than once in a while going glycolitic?

There was a discussion on the old forum that Pavel got involved in. The thread starter was under the impression (I was, too) that the goal was to get each session within the benchmarks of 5 minutes for the swings, 10 minutes for the get-ups. Turns out a number of us were wrong. Those were the standards for testing, not for daily practice.

Thanks @JamesO for confirming this! I suspected this last week after I was able to hit the 5 minute / 10 minute goal for the first time. Made so much more sense to me to train at a slower pace normally, focusing on form and resting between sets and then occasionally push it to test.

"If" the MAF formula applies to you, your swing sets should not cause your heart to jump too much higher than your MAF. But IMO, VR supersedes HR for an S&S session. If you're new to KB ballistics, you should see your HR drop while VR stays the same.

Thanks for the response. I am finding this discussion enlightening. Seeking clarification. When would the MAF formula not apply other than once in a while going glycolitic?

When you are an outlier on the bell curve, like any population formula.

When you are an outlier on the bell curve, like any population formula.
So according to the MAF formula (180-age) I should not exceed 130. If I do another set of swings (S&S) when my breathing is under control and I feel ready my heart will spike to 135-140, out of the MAF zone. So which one determines when I am ready to do another set - VR and feeling ready to go OR HR descending to a rate that will keep the spikes around 130.

If I were working with you privately I would ask/test:
-does MAF apply to you?
-what does the first set do to your HR?
-what does your HR drop to between sets?
-are you recovering between sessions?
-is your HR, or recovery time between sets dropping over time?

The shorter answer is: 135-140 is fine; use your VR.

If I were working with you privately I would ask/test:
-does MAF apply to you?
-what does the first set do to your HR?
-what does your HR drop to between sets?
-are you recovering between sessions?
-is your HR, or recovery time between sets dropping over time?

The shorter answer is: 135-140 is fine; use your VR.
Thanks Al for taking the time to respond. It is starting to make sense.

I do the next set when I feel like it. According to Pavel, there are benefits either way. I think it's a bit unsafe to do them too close together, so I'll err on the side of caution and let the times be longer rather than shorter. ...

Fully agree with you here, HR and breathing govern the rest periods to a certain extent, but "feeling ready" includes a component that is often overlooked, and that is power generation... if you don't feel like the next set will be as crisp as the first, or if you feel a drop of power then don't do the next set, regardless of breathing rhythm...
Remember the swings in S&S are first and foremost a power exercise, if your power is compromised then don't do the next set! It even says that in the book

same applies to the TGU, if you don't feel ready to execute a rep in strong and perfect form then don't do it until you are certain it will be good

someone somewhere said "make the last set your best for the day" in another context, but I feel it absolutely applies here!

I found it helpful to go back and reread the thread from August 31 entitled "A question on energy pathways".

Fully agree with you here, HR and breathing govern the rest periods to a certain extent, but "feeling ready" includes a component that is often overlooked, and that is power generation... if you don't feel like the next set will be as crisp as the first, or if you feel a drop of power then don't do the next set, regardless of breathing rhythm...
Remember the swings in S&S are first and foremost a power exercise, if your power is compromised then don't do the next set! It even says that in the book

same applies to the TGU, if you don't feel ready to execute a rep in strong and perfect form then don't do it until you are certain it will be good

someone somewhere said "make the last set your best for the day" in another context, but I feel it absolutely applies here!
I've been noticing my wait times between sets has been shrinking naturally. I hate looking at clocks and crap like that to pace myself. The exact "30 second" interval stuff is arbitrary anyhow. When I'm ready, I'll do the next set. It's been working fine for me.

I've been noticing my wait times between sets has been shrinking naturally. I hate looking at clocks and crap like that to pace myself. The exact "30 second" interval stuff is arbitrary anyhow. When I'm ready, I'll do the next set. It's been working fine for me.

I have to admit I have a recurring dream where I stay stuck where I am for the rest of my life. Not kidding.

as long as you're on the "correct" bell, what's the problem? No injuries, feeling good and recharged every day, making steady progress...nice dream!

I have to admit I have a recurring dream where I stay stuck where I am for the rest of my life. Not kidding.

I get where you are coming from as I'm someone who is progressing slowly through S+S but you just have to accept that you will have your own pace. Stick with it and you will move forwards. We all have different starting points and weaknesses that need sorting out.

I guess sometimes the forum can be a bit disconcerting if you compare your progress to others but there are so many beasts here (lads and lasses) that taking a lot longer than them to progress is not a bad thing.

I get where you are coming from as I'm someone who is progressing slowly through S+S but you just have to accept that you will have your own pace. Stick with it and you will move forwards. We all have different starting points and weaknesses that need sorting out.

I guess sometimes the forum can be a bit disconcerting if you compare your progress to others but there are so many beasts here (lads and lasses) that taking a lot longer than them to progress is not a bad thing.

It's all about training age. Where you are at should be dependant on how many years you've been training. I'm not sure if there is a good equation to benchmark from using age and years training that should tell you where you should be. Regardless, if you're actively training, you're right where you should be.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom