all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How do I avoid non-functional hypertrophy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Avoid bodybuilding splits I guess.
ROP is a good start, has served me well, eventually I just ended up doing cleans A+A style and my press went up.
What is your goals?

Avoid bodybuilding splits I guess.
Bodybuilding is fine. Many bodybuilding temple for newbie/intermediate lifters have lots of common with powerlifting templete.
Greg Nuckols stated that an lazy way to create a plw schedule is choosing a good bb split and add heavy lift at begin.
Ben Pollack also write a lot about the important of bodybuilding and muscle balance for powerlifting.

I'm 205lbs at 5'6. I'm a long way from not being able to press.

Yeah, I'm going to call BS on this whole idea of being unable to press overhead having much at all to do with size and "too much hypertrophy".

Poor mobility and/or simple unfamiliarity with KBs when they were new seem more likely causes.

Lasha is 6'6", 400 lbs, and doesn't have any problem putting weights overhead.

640px-Weightlifting_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_%2B109_kg_%2810%29.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to call BS on this whole idea of being unable to press overhead having much at all to do with size and "too much hypertrophy".

Poor mobility and/or simple unfamiliarity with KBs when they were new seem more likely causes.

Lasha is 6'6", 400 lbs, and doesn't have any problem putting weights overhead.

640px-Weightlifting_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_%2B109_kg_%2810%29.jpg
He looks like buffed Karim Benzema

The reference to big guys not being able to press a heavy kettlebell was because they didn't train the overhead press, just the bench press.

Pavel asked one audience of lifters to raise their hand if they'd ever had shoulder issues, and of course quite a few hands went up. His response was, "And the rest of you just can't raise your arms over your head." I wonder if that's online somewhere ...

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom