all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How do you know if you can use heavier kb ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey guys,

It seems to be a silly question...
The heaviest kb i have is a pair of 20 and i can use one single 24 from a friend. I could double press the 20s about 14 times few weeks ago.
I was wondering if i could press / push press / jerk maybe a pair of 28. But i don't have any to know if i am strong enough.

Is there any kind of rule like: "if you can press this weight X times then you could press X+4kg ..." ?

I'm not sure i want to get a kb of every weight available on the planet and especially a pair of each ! So i was thinking maybe getting a pair of 28 and stop buying ! I would have 16, 20 and 28. But am affraid the 28kg may be too heavy... don't know !

How do you know ?
Hi @Max_fr,

I agree with the folks here who are saying that jumping from the 20kg to the 28kg is a big jump. Echoing @Don Fairbanks that a 24kg or a pair of 24kgs will be more versatile for you.

With regards to the military press, this video shows you some drills you can practice to increase your pressing strength if you're working with a heavier bell that you cannot press yet. i.e. Heavy cleans and rack holds, and heavy negatives. It also includes a drill you can practice with a lighter bell, your 5-8RM bell: paused and partial presses.

Hope that helps! Keep up the strong practice! :)

this video shows you some drills you can practice to increase your pressing strength if you're working with a heavier bell that you cannot press yet. i.e. Heavy cleans and rack holds, and heavy negatives. It also includes a drill you can practice with a lighter bell, your 5-8RM bell: paused and partial presses.

3 excellent press drills! Thanks @Catherine Buck Le

Hi @Max_fr,

I agree with the folks here who are saying that jumping from the 20kg to the 28kg is a big jump. Echoing @Don Fairbanks that a 24kg or a pair of 24kgs will be more versatile for you.

With regards to the military press, this video shows you some drills you can practice to increase your pressing strength if you're working with a heavier bell that you cannot press yet. i.e. Heavy cleans and rack holds, and heavy negatives. It also includes a drill you can practice with a lighter bell, your 5-8RM bell: paused and partial presses.

Super good .

Hi @Max_fr,

great drills !! thanks for sharing !!

Didn't expect to see so many people involved to my first silly question !
Thank you guys, your comments are very interesting and i write 'em down on my notebook : )

Hi @Max_fr,

Thank you Catherine, i'll try these drills and see what happens (y)

Thanks Catherine, Yes Please, lets have an upsidedown press video ..... I have enjoyed your videos on Youtube.
@BillSteamshovel (and everyone else on this thread) — I'm so glad the military press tips / drills video is helpful! Thank you so much

Yes, I do have a bottoms-up press tutorial! Here it is:

Bottoms-Up Kettlebell Press: How to Do It! Plus 4 Variations You Need to Train

It's part two of a three-part series on bottoms-up kettlebell work. Start with part one which walks you through the bottoms-up clean and all the reasons why bottoms-up work is a game-changer for your training.

How to Do the Bottoms-Up Kettlebell Clean (and WHY)

@Max_fr — Bottoms-up pressing is a great way increase your pressing strength! It has a lot of hidden benefits, like finding your ideal pressing groove, maximizing irradiation, necessitating a slow and steady pace, and more.

Enjoy!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom