all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance How often should I train endurance?

Weight

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm planning on putting endurance work in- the types Pavel discussed with Joe Rogan:
. Steady state- cardio
. Right below anaerobic threshold- develops mitochondria in slow twitch fibres
. Just before acidosis and then backing off - develops mitochondria in fast twitch fibres

How often should I train each and for how long should each session of steady state and mitochondria in slow twitch fibres be?

I'm planning on putting endurance work in- the types Pavel discussed with Joe Rogan:
. Steady state- cardio
. Right below anaerobic threshold- develops mitochondria in slow twitch fibres
. Just before acidosis and then backing off - develops mitochondria in fast twitch fibres

How often should I train each and for how long should each session of steady state and mitochondria in slow twitch fibres be?
What is you priority? What can you recover from?

Last year I added easy jogging and cycling to my training. I aimed at 3 sessions per week, but sometimes I only got 1, which is fine too. My priority was KB work and when life insisted I skipped the aerobic work. (However, I bike everywhere during the day, so that provides some base endurance as well.)

For fast twitch mitochondria I used to use KB Swings. Now I do LCCJ.

Try to get 20-60 minutes of work for aerobic sessions. Fast twitch work can be done in as little as 8-30 minutes (see Q&D).

Agree with the above. Also, you have to work up to volume in LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio, just like anything else. A good rule of thumb is to add 10% volume per week. Endurance requires adaptations, too.

Assuming we're working within the paradigm of strong endurance programming

Lower intensity

2-5x per week

I suppose it's probably still true that 2 times a week is probably a minimum effective dose. And 4 times a week might be a point of diminishing returns. You still get more but the payoff isn't quite as high.

Also in the paradigm of AGT / strong endurance - whatever's sustainable for 60 minutes or more is pretty much a definitional property of anti glycolytic training. So whatever pace you can keep up for an hour is probably a good place to start intensity wise. Starting with whatever time periods you can get in. 15-30 minutes on the low end. 40-60 minutes on the high end.

Example: kettlebell mile

Higher intensity
As far as frequency of training , there's a question of how much you're digging into glycolysis.

3x - 5x per week
If you're scraping the surface in repeat training with relatively complete recovery you can probably get away with almost daily training as long as the volume numbers aren't too high.

Example: 015

off the top of my head alternating alactic and aerobic training every other day is a fine place to start.

Month 1:
A: 015
B: kettlebell mile
R: rest

SMTWTFS
RARBRAR
RBRARBR

Month 2

SMTWTFS
RABRABR

Month 3

SMTWTFS
RABABAB

Last edited:
whatever's sustainable for 60 minutes or more is pretty much a definitional property of anti glycolytic training. So whatever pace you can keep up for an hour is probably a good place to start intensity wise.

How do you know your 60 minute pace until you can actually do 60 minutes?

I've had multiple times when I *thought* I knew what my 60 minute pace was based on what I had done at 30-45 minutes and found out I was wrong.

How do you know your 60 minute pace until you can actually do 60 minutes?

I've had multiple times when I *thought* I knew what my 60 minute pace was based on what I had done at 30-45 minutes and found out I was wrong.
That's a great question; especially as I remember about really getting started with weight training that I knew nothing about.

I heard so much about %1RM when I was first asking questions before I was able to latch on to S&S. And not too long ago, I heard a prescription that resembled the arbitrary starting point of 16kg bell to start S&S , for an average strength gentleman. For the deadlift it was just start with 135 and go from there.

Spitballing here...

Kettlebell
Start practicing S&S with a 16kg bell and add from there. Reset to a new bell. Graduating to the 24kg bell.​
Barbell
Start learning the dead lift with 135 lbs and just add 5 lbs per session. Reset to a new beginning weight like 140lbs or 145lbs after 6 weeks.​
Cardio
Maybe for cardio we just say start with 10 minutes a day and add 5 minutes per week. Reset to carrying a light weight after 30 days. Like a carrying a 5lbs plate. Or a lightly loaded ruck.​

I'm actually a fan of some kind of arbitrary guidelines. Maybe something like this isn't completely unusable.

Last edited:
Hello,

There is no magic number of sessions, unfortunately.

However, there are still some principles, depending on the goal:
For just "health" (no performance goal)
- Walk 7 days a week (the famous '10k steps a day can be an idea, or just get moving on a daily basis)
- LISS 2-3 days a week (Z2 training)
- Sprint 1 day a week

For more 'health and performance' goal, there are several ways to view it:
View 1:
One long run (Z2), one tempo run (8 x 200m, 4 x 400, etc...), one sprint session. Possibly another moderately long (same intensity than the long run, but only 30 - 40 minutes)
View 2:
MAF style (4-5 days a week, Z2 training).

All the above is based on running, but it can be performed to some extent, with other tools (kb, barbells, rower, rope skipping...). Running requires only to be good at running in terms of technique. Performing it with other tools may require to be proficient on other moves (snatches, swings...). That's a matter of what your goal is, keeping in mind that heart and lungs do not do the difference between snatches and sprints for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

There is no magic number of sessions, unfortunately.

However, there are still some principles, depending on the goal:
For just "health" (no performance goal)
- Walk 7 days a week (the famous '10k steps a day can be an idea, or just get moving on a daily basis)
- LISS 2-3 days a week (Z2 training)
- Sprint 1 day a week

This is what I do when I'm not in rowing season, with the sprint being rowing sprints.

It's very sustainable. And it's enough work that when I make a pivot to performance cardio goals in the summer, I'm not dying.

What is you priority? What can you recover from?

Last year I added easy jogging and cycling to my training. I aimed at 3 sessions per week, but sometimes I only got 1, which is fine too. My priority was KB work and when life insisted I skipped the aerobic work. (However, I bike everywhere during the day, so that provides some base endurance as well.)

For fast twitch mitochondria I used to use KB Swings. Now I do LCCJ.

Try to get 20-60 minutes of work for aerobic sessions. Fast twitch work can be done in as little as 8-30 minutes (see Q&D).

Thanks for posting this. I'm bookmarking this bit of advice.

In my own case during this Army Reserve mobilization I'm doing a 2x/week barbell work, and either 1 A&A session and two endurance sessions or 2 endurance and 1 A&A session per week (I rotate the emphasis).

Back
Top Bottom