all posts post new thread

Barbell How to Dominate the Force-Velocity Curve

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
This is a really good article by Charles Gould.

Dr Michael Zourdos

It support Dr Michael Zourdos' research that found that a Conjugate Training Program that contains: Hypertrophy, Power and Maximum Strength produced greater increases in 1 Repetition Max.

Dr Brad Shoenfeld

It identifies Dr Brad Schoenfeld's research that increasing muscle mass is optimized by developing: Mechanical Tension (Maximum Strength), Metabolic Stress (The Bodybuilding Pump/Burn) and Muscle Damage (stressing muscle via near failure or failure infrequently and full range movements (loaded stretching muscles), which is show to increase muscle mass.

Westside Powerlifting Training

It identifies the same training protocols employed by the Westside Powerlifting Training Program that is utilized: Maximum Strength, Dynamic Strength (Power) and Repetition Strength (Hypertrophy Training).

The Common Denominator

The above research and anecdotal data share the same common denominator with the article below, It is just stated a bit differently in some instances.

With that in mind, here is the Cliff Notes of...

How To Dominate The Force-Velocity Curve
Out-Lift the Big Guys, Out-Perform the Little Guys | T Nation

There are five zones that make up the force-velocity curve:
  1. Maximal Strength: 90-100% intensity
  2. Strength-Speed: 80-90% intensity
  3. Peak Power: 30-80% intensity
  4. Speed-Strength: 30-60% intensity
  5. Maximal Speed: 0-30% intensity
Figure 1

...any movement can be adjusted towards either side of the curve, which makes the curve more of a continuum than anything else.

Training up and down the curve is similar to the Westside conjugate approach: it trains each quality on the strength hierarchy – maximal strength, dynamic strength, and repetition strength – under the same umbrella.

Training up and down the curve spurs gains in strength, power, and muscle mass.

Last edited:
For a website I'm not a huge fan of, I definitely liked this article. Thanks for the post

True. However, I’d think combining Q + D with any of SF strength programs like PTTP or Naked Warrior would be stepping into these waters.
IMO, Q&D plus PTTP is still much simpler than what the article we’re discussing recommends.

-S-

@kennycro@@aol.com agreed. don't get me wrong I have multiple articles printed out from there. I just find the ratio of not useful:useful is high on the right side of the equation.

@Steve Freides I'm with you on the "non-minimalist" comment - honestly the thought of doing any of those sample outlines at that volume makes we want to sit on the couch and read a book instead - but I believe the principles are sound. Take away the accessory work, or cut the volume of accessory work and move it to a separate day and all of a sudden it's not looking too shabby at all

@wespom9, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is certainly much to commend about attempting a "complete" approach to training, but in my life at this moment in time, simplicity suits me better. As the French say, à chacun son goût, to each his own.

-S-

@wespom9, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is certainly much to commend about attempting a "complete" approach to training, but in my life at this moment in time, simplicity suits me better. As the French say, à chacun son goût, to each his own.

-S-
Reduce,reuse,recycle. --- Jack Reacher.

Minimalist training this is not.

-S-

Minimalist training this is not. However there is a case for maximised training and well.

I personally have made massive amounts of strength and size gains on westside style programming, even when working concurrently with other goals e.g. increasing my 1.5 miler.

I think it is very easy for me to sit here and say how great maximised programming is when i literally get paid to be fit. I realise that not everyone is in that position.

So what is more important that training program? Training philosophy I'd say. A training philosophy that matches your life style and personality better will shape the programs you will use.

The Soviet weight lifting system is anything but minimalist in nature. The sheer amount of variations and accessory lifts they utilised was very maximised. As well as undulating volume and intensities.
Interesting, you could say strongfirst simplified and distilled the best of both worlds for the average individual.

Interesting, you could say strongfirst simplified and distilled the best of both worlds for the average individual.

I think the strongfirst general approach is really milking that effective minimum dose. As well as programs that yield results for the busy man/woman too.

I have no doubt Pavel could program very good maximised programs for athletes. However he has creating a very good following using minimalism. Which is easier to sell when you are a proponent if it.

Another thing to bear in mind is if your an athlete who's sport is MMA for example, your maximised approach will be reserved for your MMA. Then it would be prudent that your strength and conditioning training be minimalist so as not to detract from your main focus.

If you are a powerlifter dedicated to being the best you can be then your strength program can be maximised and conditioning will be minimalist.

There is no one right answer. There is a lot of nuance, personal preference etc.

I think the strongfirst general approach is really milking that effective minimum dose. As well as programs that yield results for the busy man/woman too.

I have no doubt Pavel could program very good maximised programs for athletes. However he has creating a very good following using minimalism. Which is easier to sell when you are a proponent if it.

Another thing to bear in mind is if your an athlete who's sport is MMA for example, your maximised approach will be reserved for your MMA. Then it would be prudent that your strength and conditioning training be minimalist so as not to detract from your main focus.

If you are a powerlifter dedicated to being the best you can be then your strength program can be maximised and conditioning will be minimalist.

There is no one right answer. There is a lot of nuance, personal preference etc.
Interesting take, agreed completely, like dan john says performance standards dictate complexity in training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom