all posts post new thread

How to dose glycolytic training for the tactical athlete?

TheBorg

Level 4 Valued Member
So I am starting on the AXE book and am loving it. In fact, work dependent, it has intrigued me so much I'd like to hit the upcoming Charlotte Strong Endurance event this year. Anyway, my question is on how to program glycolytic training for a tactical athlete? I am assuming that some dose of this type of training is necessary, since these conditions are often encountered on actual "game day." That being said, it seems to be the position of Strong First that unlike othering programing methodologies (looking at you Crossfit) HIT as the main training methodology is to be avoided. So with that being said, where do things like the secret service snatch test, constant effort KB swings, max pace runs in body armor, obstacle courses for time, minimal rest heavy bag resets or long rounds of sparring and grappling come in? How should stuff like this be programmed into the training cycle? Also, let's assume that our trainee is a tactical athlete of some kind (not a marathon runner, not a thrower, power lifter, etc.) and is already in adequate condition to be doing that job, not a guy trying to get off the couch and into action. Also, lets assume this guy needs to be ready for game day at any given time, as opposed to a guy who is training for some highly specific event like a certain unit's selection process, combat diver school, a tactical type competition, or whatever.

So I am starting on the AXE book and am loving it. In fact, work dependent, it has intrigued me so much I'd like to hit the upcoming Charlotte Strong Endurance event this year. Anyway, my question is on how to program glycolytic training for a tactical athlete? I am assuming that some dose of this type of training is necessary, since these conditions are often encountered on actual "game day." That being said, it seems to be the position of Strong First that unlike othering programing methodologies (looking at you Crossfit) HIT as the main training methodology is to be avoided. So with that being said, where do things like the secret service snatch test, constant effort KB swings, max pace runs in body armor, obstacle courses for time, minimal rest heavy bag resets or long rounds of sparring and grappling come in? How should stuff like this be programmed into the training cycle? Also, let's assume that our trainee is a tactical athlete of some kind (not a marathon runner, not a thrower, power lifter, etc.) and is already in adequate condition to be doing that job, not a guy trying to get off the couch and into action. Also, lets assume this guy needs to be ready for game day at any given time, as opposed to a guy who is training for some highly specific event like a certain unit's selection process, combat diver school, a tactical type competition, or whatever.
Basically to be ready any day anytime, train near daily and train with minimal to no warm up. Your body will get used to it. I’ve virtually trained for more than five years without ever “warming” up. As far as glycolitic training, there seems to be a misconception about it in the realm of strong first. Because in every program that pavel has put out, there has been “test” days. Whether it’s doing unbroken long cycle clean and jerk, dropping weight going all out and dropping weight again and going all out, or doing 100 swings or snatches in five minutes or seeing how far you can get in 10 minutes with snatches or going to compete in something, it’s all been recommended. Axe has its own double expresso with the exception for people who are wrestlers or have a job that is particularly glycolitic. I think the recommendation in Axe is to train for at least 90 days to build stable mitochondria then do the glycolitic stuff every 2 weeks or monthly.

Luis: That's true, S&S and AXE both recommend a glycolytic effort once per 2-weeks once you reach a certain level. That being said, my question was more about what you might call a meso-cycle. Should guys cycle in and out of training where you do a lot of highly glycolytic stuff, especially if the things you are training for tends to smoke you, like climbing cliffs, buildings, or ships, or doing sprints in body armor? Or is once every two weeks a good consistent dose across the board?

Luis: That's true, S&S and AXE both recommend a glycolytic effort once per 2-weeks once you reach a certain level. That being said, my question was more about what you might call a meso-cycle. Should guys cycle in and out of training where you do a lot of highly glycolytic stuff, especially if the things you are training for tends to smoke you, like climbing cliffs, buildings, or ships, or doing sprints in body armor? Or is once every two weeks a good consistent dose across the board?

I've read a few times that once every 1-2 weeks is fine until you actually need to be ready for a performance / competition, at which point you can focus on glycolytic work for 1-2 weeks before the event.

Something that I do, and have done, once or twice a week for years is to have a very short glycolytic session. Right now, I'm doing time sessions with the snatch or clean and press and have done A&A/AXE for years. Once or twice a week I will throw in sprint work with the C2, Ski Erg or assault bike, or two back-to-back Tabata sessions with a five-minute break between each. I might do air squats for a session, rest five minutes, and then do something like horizontal TRX Rows for a session. I'm not doing a 25-minute Cross Fit Chipper as that work really blow out my recovery.

Hello,

@TheBorg
These article would be what addresses the best the demands of a tactical athlete (the latter being more "traditional"):

Kind regards,

Pet'

I might go against the grain. But glycolytic training is not that big of a deal if you get used to it. And it also depends on what you want to achieve.

• If you want to increase your VO2max (more than the basic newby gains), glycolytic training is inevitable. But it is not glycolysis that you are after but the training of your heart. The current science points towards something like the Norwegian protocol: Effects of different protocols of high intensity interval training for VO2max improvements in adults: A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials - PubMed
  • You need to train your mind to function well in a state of high fatigue if that is something that you need. So, being in a high-lactate, high-fatigued state is just a tool to train your psyche. Learning benefits from frequency and volume.
  • A big portion of the fatigue stems from the traumatic effect of the training mode. If you train in a low excentric way (sled pushing, throwing, stair jumps (walk down)), low volume of the lower back and grip (sled push > KB swings) you greatly increase training tolerance.
  • I, personally, like daily moderate glycolytic mini-sessions because of the beneficial effect of lactate on other tissues (e.g. lactate shuttle -> Rhonda Patrick) and the brain.
If the trainee needs to be ready anytime, I'd opt for an assault bike and find a protocol suited for the individual style.

• I, personally, have an exceptionally strong nervous system (I can train multiple times per day with maximum intensity), while have just moderate tolerance for volume (Bodybuilding-style training kills me quickly) and low muscular endurance in the lower body (I feel the burn in my quads very soon when I use squats in my endurance circuits). So, a full body type of workout, little excentric load, low to moderate volume, high intensity and high frequency it would be for me.
  • My best friend has a normal neuronal fatigue resistance, high tolerance for volume and a pretty good muscular endurance overall. His Training would look very different, depending on his schedule.

I’ve found once a week glycolytic sessions are sufficient to maintain, twice weekly better to develop.

Hello,

@TheBorg
These article would be what addresses the best the demands of a tactical athlete (the latter being more "traditional"):

Kind regards,

Pet'
I’ve been doing Novocaine or as close as I can to it for a couple years. I’m happy with how it has helped me. My downfall is not doing enough cardio for it. I’m going to check out the other article you posted also.

Back
Top Bottom