all posts post new thread

How to load Rucking?

Ege

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi;

I want to make rucking a more regular endeavor to get benefit of Zone 2 training inspired from some threads in this forum. I am open to any suggestions in general.

My specific question is to learn the most used and practical way of loading rucking. This might sound like a silly question, but even with simplest things learning from experienced people saves a ton of time and money.

Should I just pick a KB and walk around the house and keep it simple, will this work or carrying a KB for 45 minutes eventually will shift my zone 2 focus to a grip endurance test and maybe even hurt me?

Should I invest in a basic weight vest? Can I just buy a few cheap wrist and ankle weights? Is this a good way to load rucking?

Or just go with a regular backpack and put kb in it? I think I read somewhere in the forum that higher the weight in the bag closer to your shoulders the better is it so?

Indeed any advice is more than wellcome.

Ps: SF thought be the beauty of following some pre-written programs instead of trying to craft my own as a beginner. I know for some a need to have a walking program is silly, but a written program puts me in check better than my own programs.
I found below document nice, either If you are interested.

Hi;

I want to make rucking a more regular endeavor to get benefit of Zone 2 training inspired from some threads in this forum. I am open to any suggestions in general.

My specific question is to learn the most used and practical way of loading rucking. This might sound like a silly question, but even with simplest things learning from experienced people saves a ton of time and money.

Should I just pick a KB and walk around the house and keep it simple, will this work or carrying a KB for 45 minutes eventually will shift my zone 2 focus to a grip endurance test and maybe even hurt me?

Should I invest in a basic weight vest? Can I just buy a few cheap wrist and ankle weights? Is this a good way to load rucking?

Or just go with a regular backpack and put kb in it? I think I read somewhere in the forum that higher the weight in the bag closer to your shoulders the better is it so?

Ps: SF thought be the beauty of following some pre-written programs instead of trying to craft my own as a beginner. I know for some a need to have a walking program is silly, but a written program puts me in check better than my own programs.

Rucking: What It Is and How to Do It​

By Al Ciampa
Rucking: What It Is and How to Do It | StrongFirst

A good place to start

Rucking: What It Is and How to Do It​

By Al Ciampa
Rucking: What It Is and How to Do It | StrongFirst

A good place to start
Vouw, very good article! Lot’s of great information. On top of everything, this on it is own being a “test” never occurred to me, which is a great idea.

And generally speaking, this might give an idea how to approach the “jolt” once in every two weeks or a month, recommendation from S&S. (Swings not advised before hitting Timeless simple)

View attachment 20386
This holds true for rucking for fitness as well as backpacking
I pack things at the bottom that I don't want to get out in the rain until my shelter is up, but it pretty much works out in accordance with the diagram.

For training loads, I like using heavy duty water bladders, especially if I am going to be "ambitious" on a trail. Easy to dump if you get in over your head or roll an ankle or something, and it's not unusual to meet people who need water.

I pack things at the bottom that I don't want to get out in the rain until my shelter is up, but it pretty much works out in accordance with the diagram.

For training loads, I like using heavy duty water bladders, especially if I am going to be "ambitious" on a trail. Easy to dump if you get in over your head or roll an ankle or something, and it's not unusual to meet people who need water.
Very practical information thanks!

The GoRuck community has pretty good info about rucking, consider checking as well the following link:

They provide some light, medium and heavy programs towards preparing users for their ruck marches.

Reactions: Ege
I’m not really a fan of the kettlebell mile in terms of LISS and rucking. You should be covering more than a mile rucking.

Al’s article is fantastic though.

I just use a hiking pack filled with gear, water, and if needed a kettlebell.
I set a goal HR range, started out with 30/min a couple times a week. One day a week go longer. Every week add 10 minutes for 8 weeks. As you progress and repeat the cycle add more time at the starting week. So second cycle would be 40-60minutes. Top range is 2 hours since it gets to be a bit much.
Once you have a handle on it, move down to just maintaining. I've found that 2 high intensity cardio sessions and 1 LISS session for about an hour a week works fine. So that would look like hill sprints 2x a week and one ruck a week.

Last edited:
The GoRuck community has pretty good info about rucking, consider checking as well the following link:

They provide some light, medium and heavy programs towards preparing users for their ruck marches.
I am very pleased that I have asked this very basic question to forum, including this answer all of them are great information.

I’m not really a fan of the kettlebell mile in terms of LISS and rucking. You should be covering more than a mile rucking.

I agree, I will use the very valuable information there, and I liked that 1 mile to be a “test” rather than being the workout it self.

Hi;

Doctrine is put the weight high and stable on your back. On the education side of rucking, Michael Easter is a fantastic person to follow, here's an article he wrote that answers a lot of questions A Deep Dive Into Rucking by Michael Easter - GORUCK Blog Archive -- and I'm sure you guys know StrongFirst has some killer articles about rucking in its blog, too. Ultimately, my go to 20 years after starting to ruck is that my daily training / carry weight is 45 pounds. If I want to add weight to the rucksack, I put that weight in the bottom -- sandbags or sand kettlebells are my go to, though any weight will do. I'm pro kettlebells in life, the only downside to cast iron kettlebells in the ruck is that they will go to the bottom of the ruck and if that's close to your back, it could be less comfortable and will shift around more than is desirable -- so ideally you would find a way to cinch them down or make them stable. As for the Kettlebell 1-Miler Challenge, I think that's a fantastic idea and will give it a go this weekend. We do a 100 LBS 1-Miler Challenge (wearing a rucksack) at GORUCK and people like that kind of fun. Much respect to you all, I've been an admirer of this community for a loooong time now. (Just registered after I heard rucking was becoming a more frequent thing here). I don't have anything to add on the kettlebell side (you all are the experts), but I have spent a little time under a ruck in my life and am happy to help people do it right. (I founded GORUCK in 2008 after some time in the Army).

Thanks for the response, I had a quick look and really liked what I see. I know the product brand but was not aware of the wealth of the wealth of information and the community!

Doctrine is put the weight high and stable on your back. On the education side of rucking, Michael Easter is a fantastic person to follow, here's an article he wrote that answers a lot of questions A Deep Dive Into Rucking by Michael Easter - GORUCK Blog Archive -- and I'm sure you guys know StrongFirst has some killer articles about rucking in its blog, too. Ultimately, my go to 20 years after starting to ruck is that my daily training / carry weight is 45 pounds. If I want to add weight to the rucksack, I put that weight in the bottom -- sandbags or sand kettlebells are my go to, though any weight will do. I'm pro kettlebells in life, the only downside to cast iron kettlebells in the ruck is that they will go to the bottom of the ruck and if that's close to your back, it could be less comfortable and will shift around more than is desirable -- so ideally you would find a way to cinch them down or make them stable. As for the Kettlebell 1-Miler Challenge, I think that's a fantastic idea and will give it a go this weekend. We do a 100 LBS 1-Miler Challenge (wearing a rucksack) at GORUCK and people like that kind of fun. Much respect to you all, I've been an admirer of this community for a loooong time now. (Just registered after I heard rucking was becoming a more frequent thing here). I don't have anything to add on the kettlebell side (you all are the experts), but I have spent a little time under a ruck in my life and am happy to help people do it right. (I founded GORUCK in 2008 after some time in the Army).
@Don Fairbanks recommended I read Michael Easter's book "The Comfort Crisis," where Michael discusses rucking with you in preparation for his incredible Arctic Hunt with Donnie Vincent. I finished it and immediately reread it. He so vividly described the pain of toting that caribou meat and cape!!

Nothing to add, but taking the opportunity to thank you for your contributions to strength and fitness. My loaded GORUCK stays in my VW Atlas, so that I can raise the tailgate, lean back and strap it on (the rucksack, that is)!!

There is a guy who has posted on this forum who has done research with the military on optimal weight ratio and ruck performance. He has written a couple of articles. There was good info and tips. In short, like KB swings, a third of bodyweight no more is optional if I remember correctly. More weight tips the scale to strength, less to endurance. I can't seem to find that info. Anyone know the name and link?

I set a goal HR range, started out with 30/min a couple times a week. One day a week go longer. Every week add 10 minutes for 8 weeks. As you progress and repeat the cycle add more time at the starting week. So second cycle would be 40-60minutes. Top range is 2 hours since it gets to be a bit much.
Once you have a handle on it, move down to just maintaining. I've found that 2 high intensity cardio sessions and 1 LISS session for about an hour a week works fine. So that would look like hill sprints 2x a week and one ruck a week.
Vouw, very good article! Lot’s of great information. On top of everything, this on it is own being a “test” never occurred to me, which is a great idea.

And generally speaking, this might give an idea how to approach the “jolt” once in every two weeks or a month, recommendation from S&S. (Swings not advised before hitting Timeless simple)

Yes, doing it 3/4 times a month as part of pleasurable outdoor activity is enough for a general health goal. Keep it supplemental to your regular training.

I recommend using sand or cement bags rather than iron in case you slip or fall or you have weight banging on your spine. The official goruck bags use weight plates but they are firmly and flatly packed in a pocket. I wouldn't just put a KB in the bag for example.

Reactions: Ege
Back
Top Bottom