all posts post new thread

Old Forum How to max out Pushups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ryanm

First Post
Hey, my name is Ryan and I'm going to be shipping off to basic training in 71 days. I have to complete 80 pushups, 85 situps, and a 13 min two-mile run. I can only scratch out about 50 pushups now and its not good enough. I found Pavel's book Power to the People and am reading through it now. But I was wondering, are there any methods I should employ to hit that goal faster?
Thanks!

Grease The Groove: Multiple  sets throughout the day. Use approximately 50% of your max. In your case sets of 20-30. You can find a lot more information about Greasing the Groove if you search through theses forums.

Ryan,

I believe it is in the Naked Warrior that Pavel discusses using grease the groove training for a push-up test, using the example of NASA pilots.  By doing regular sub-maximal sets to prevent fatigue throughout the day you will hit the goal.

Is that going to allow me to increase my max within the time frame? Also the way I found Power to the People was from this artcle: http://fitnessblackbook.com/strength-training/how-to-get-stronger-at-push-ups-and-pull-ups-using-a-soviet-special-forces-technique/

But I'm assuming I should be reading Naked Warrior instead?

The 'max out your pushups' articles are in Beyond Bodybuilding. Two versions, I think--'hit the deck' and the NASA plan.

Just going to add that the "Hit The Deck" programming is exactly what I'll be having my guys doing at the start of next week in preparation for the spring PFT.  At least, all of those who will listen to me.

Is there any way you could outline the hit the deck plan or direct me to where I might quickly find it?

It's really a form of GTG as explained above.  The whole progression would be a lot of typing.  It is spelled out on Page 280-something in Beyond Bodybuilding.  It just happens to be pretty cheap on Kindle right now.  Like $8 last time I checked.  Well worth it.

David-  Great tip!  Thanks.  Just bought the Kindle version for $8.49.  Have always wondered about that book but never bought it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom