all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How to progress after timeless simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
I have achieved timeless simple with 32 kilo around four months ago.

Couple of days ago I started with four sets of 40 kilo swing and 6 sets for 32 kilo.
In GSQ I do one set of 40 kilo and two sets of 32 kilo.
In TGU I do two sets of 32 and three sets of 32.

I normally train two to three times a week. At least once a week I do 2h swing with the same weight and sets as I do 1 h swing.
At least once a week I do 1h swing with the current progression.
The third time I either skip if I am exceptionally tired. Or I do normal progression with 1 h swing, or I do easier 1h swing with 28.

Today I did timed simple with 28 kilo. Quite hard I would say.

Does this look OK ? Any changes you would do ?

Would be grateful for all input.

Anders

Are you skipping swings altogether on the third day or just skipping the progression on that day (keeping it 32kg only)?

Are you aiming to do timed sessions every week? With 3 sessions a week this is suboptimal in my view. 4 works perfect, you get two ‘proper’ 1h sessions, one deload 2h and one timed 1h.

From my experiences:
- don’t progress to 28kg timed sessions yet, it’s not the main goal (yet, until you peak),
- don’t progress the 2h to all 40kg, it’s not the main goal (and the tonnage adds up),
- keep the goal the goal, that is at least two progressive 32-40kg 1h sessions a week, the other two are to follow later with progressions

One more thought,

If you must stay on 3 sessions per week, I would do two normal 1hs and for the third rotate 2hs or timed 24kg every other week.

The progression in 2.0 of using set replacement is pretty good. I think modifying it a few ways would work. I think a few ways to use set replacement other than with a heavier bell would be:
  1. Replace sets from 2h to 1h
  2. Replace all 1h sets with an extra rep
  3. Both
    • Sets of 10 with 2h
    • Sets of 5 with 1h
    • After replacing all 2h sets of 10 with 1h sets of 5, start over with 2h sets of 10 and 1h sets of 6
I think options 1 would work best over a longer time horizon, replacing a set each month. Option 2 could probably replace a set every other week. Option 3 could probably be replaced each week.

I would practice a little more just so that the really crisp reps become more consistent throughout the other sets..

Introduce a heavier bell every 2-4 weeks depending on how you recover..

I would recommend reading s and s 2.0 there's a chapter explaining how to progress

Thanks for all the replies. What do you guys think about me starting to use Pavels program simple to Sinister as showen here. I would have used the 28 kilo:

Thanks for all the replies. What do you guys think about me starting to use Pavels program simple to Sinister as showen here. I would have used the 28 kilo:

Well it’s an interesting plan. Personally I would not try it before owning timed Simple, which, I assume, was the intent.

What do you guys think about me starting to use Pavel's program simple to Sinister as shown here.
I'm not quite sure if the month to month had an increase in weight or only if the test bell is achieved. If not, I think increasing the monthly volume from 2,000 reps to 2,200 the second month, and 2,400 the third month to have some form of progressive overload would be better than just waviness alone.

Are you skipping swings altogether on the third day or just skipping the progression on that day (keeping it 32kg only)?

Are you aiming to do timed sessions every week? With 3 sessions a week this is suboptimal in my view. 4 works perfect, you get two ‘proper’ 1h sessions, one deload 2h and one timed 1h.

From my experiences:
- don’t progress to 28kg timed sessions yet, it’s not the main goal (yet, until you peak),
- don’t progress the 2h to all 40kg, it’s not the main goal (and the tonnage adds up),
- keep the goal the goal, that is at least two progressive 32-40kg 1h sessions a week, the other two are to follow later with progressions

On day 3: no training or easier version, either 2 h or 24 kilo.

Timed sessions every third or fourth week. More often when I have energy. More seldom when I feel I have no energy.

I sleep badly most of the nights and feel tired and sleepy on most days (I am still able to work 100 percent, have friends etc etc), but do rarely feel I have a lot of surplus for training. I have therefore decided to try the wave program from Pavel although he meant it for people who have already achieved timed simple.

You can always just add a set of 40kg on days you feel extra strong..

Over time, it won't feel as demanding as it does initially

For the time being the 40 just takes everything out of me. It reminds me about the days when I did heavy deadlift (for me). The hours and days after the max attempt, it just felt like my whole battery was a lot smaller. This has made me somewhat reluctant to train.

With the 28 I feel there is more room for being tired and imperfect recovery.

Then I would do slow getups with the 32 specifically slowing the roll to elbow phase and elbow back to lying down phase.

For the swings add more power.

I reached timeless simple about the same time you did. Since then I have been very patient with incorporating a heavier bell. I did my first set of swings and get ups with a 36kg just few weeks after reaching timeless simple and it didnt feel that hard. However, I kept on using just the 32kg. Then a session here, session there I used 36kg for 2 sets until just two weeks ago I decided to start using 36kg every time for 2 sets. I want to keep myself fresh to play golf and do other things as well. My plan is to add 2 sets with 36kg every month or so from now on. So if everything goes to my plan, I will have replaced all sets with 36 like 7 months after reaching timeless simple. Using the same progression used to reach timeless simple, I would be already swinging 48kg for a few sets 7 months after reaching timeless simple. I know that wouldnt happen. I would kill myself trying to progress at the same rate. Thats why there is a backing off method presented in the new version of S&S and sounds like thats exactly what you need to do... ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom