all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hyperextended elbows and overhead work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sammal

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all,

My girlfriend agreed to do some kettlebell training with me for the next two months. But I noticed that her elbows hyperextend when she locks out; is it a matter of concern when doing exercises like tgu or presses? Does she need to do something differently with these exercises or no need to pay attention to it?

Thanks for the help!

From a general standpoint have her:
1) Go slow in the movements looking for control.
2) Have her work on a straight elbow—which to her will feel "bent" and will require focus to maintain during the Get-up and to not go past in the MP.

Does she have any other areas of hyper mobility (knees, fingers, wrist etc...)?

@sammal, in addition to Brett’s excellent (always) advice, I will share a personal experience as someone whose elbows both hyperextend - Fabio’s “statue of liberty” tip helps me find a more stable overhead position. And at least one of my students who also hyperextends says the same thing. Perhaps worth a try.

-S-

From a general standpoint have her:
1) Go slow in the movements looking for control.
2) Have her work on a straight elbow—which to her will feel "bent" and will require focus to maintain during the Get-up and to not go past in the MP.

Does she have any other areas of hyper mobility (knees, fingers, wrist etc...)?

Thank you for the advice, will do that.

She does not have any other areas of hyper mobility. Only ankles are super flexible, as stated by a physiotherapist who recently tested her legs.

@sammal, in addition to Brett’s excellent (always) advice, I will share a personal experience as someone whose elbows both hyperextend - Fabio’s “statue of liberty” tip helps me find a more stable overhead position. And at least one of my students who also hyperextends says the same thing. Perhaps worth a try.

-S-

Thank you for the tip, will check it out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom