all posts post new thread

Old Forum Hypertrophy for over 50?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve A

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello All, have been lifting for a long time and have maintained decent strength (SQ > 2x BW for reps, BP = 1.5 BW, DL > 2.5 BW for reps) for a very long time. But I've never done a real hypertrophy routine and am motivated to try one now.

I'm attracted to the Pins to Pillars, Modified DeLorme, 10 x 5 types of approaches. But before I start something like that, thought it prudent to ask if there are any suggested modifications for the over 50 lifter (and admittedly probably not willing to do force feeding multiple times a day lifter)? Reps, sets, frequency, anything? Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve

That didn't come out quite right and I can't figure out the edit function. I've never tried a volume routine before.

You got a decent strength basis so you should be ok. Go easy and see how you feel.  If the extra volume and shorter rest periods cause problems back off.

The Bear routine from Power to the People. But using Deadlift and Bench could be a good option Also.

The most recent article on T-Nation of Dan John's:  http://www.t-nation.com/training/9-tips-for-dedicated-lifters

From the article:
"Here's what you need to know..."
•  The only real secret to adding muscle to your whole body is this: do high rep squats.

try (2-3-5) ladders with an 8 rep max and add some weight every rung. That should give you a nice blend of strength and size.

Steve, just pick a program and try it.  My observation (I'm several months shy of 60) is that my recovery isn't what it used to be.  E.g., on a recent trip through a program, I did OK until the final week or two, at which point I added several extra rest days, and I skipped the final workout entirely.  The program was meet preparation/peaking and it worked very well for me as I did it.

If your schedule allows it, you might try what I did - using a weekly template, instead of starting on Monday, I start Thursday or Friday of the week before, which allows me to insert those extra rest days as I need them.  Or just stretch it out on the other side.  Since I was working backwards from a fixed date for a competition, I chose to start a few days earlier.

-S-

I'm 52 and with age I, like Steve, have realized that a workout schedule that worked years ago now needs more rest time included.

I've recently had some success with Geoff Neupert's KB Strong program, his whole approach of quite brief but intense workouts fits me very well.

Steve, just ease in more gradually than a young guy would.  E.g., in the Pins plan do have the volume the first time through.

Steve, just to add, my father did a total of 462 deadlift reps (that includes all  warm-ups of 50% 1RM and heavier) in the six preparatory period before his last DL meet (77 on average per week) where he pulled a PR.  He is 77 years old and takes no hormones.

Pavel, I did your DL cycle, which was also a decent amount, 51 deadlifts per week.  I didn't feel the volume was a problem and I probably could have done a bit more - although I confess 77 per week on average sounds like a lot to me. :)

-S-

Pavel:

Thanks, just the kind of info I was hoping to get. That bit about your father gives insight. And what should be obvious to me but seemingly never is, is that it is OK to scale back significantly up front, rather than test the limits and work my way down.

Steve

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom