all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Hypertrophy in Plan Strong 50

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MaxF

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm not understanding Plan Strong 50. For the intents of what I am asking, relate all Plan Strong 50 references from a hypertrophy prioritization standpoint.

Is the competition period of Plan Strong 50 considered competitive peaking, strengthening the muscle gained during the prep period, some further hypertrophy, or a non-optimal peak meant to find new maxes for calculations?

Would a plan that rotates hypertrophy with strength building effectively (and simply) be organized as:
PS 50 prep month(s) > PS 50 comp month > transition week(s) > PS 70 prep month(s) > PS 70 comp month > transition week(s) > repeat....?

Would you also maintain a minimum rest time of 2 mins as stated in the manual? In more mainstream hypertrophy plans, 2 mins would be considered a lifetime. If so, I image the volume itself will still bring a sufficient stimulus.

Some of this might seem basic, but I don't consider myself well versed in hypertrophy focused plans.

Would a plan that rotates hypertrophy with strength building effectively (and simply) be organized as:
PS 50 prep month(s) > PS 50 comp month > transition week(s) > PS 70 prep month(s) > PS 70 comp month > transition week(s) > repeat....?

Would you also maintain a minimum rest time of 2 mins as stated in the manual? In more mainstream hypertrophy plans, 2 mins would be considered a lifetime. If so, I image the volume itself will still bring a sufficient stimulus.

Some of this might seem basic, but I don't consider myself well versed in hypertrophy focused plans.

I would see no issues with rotating between PS50 and PS70. I would even be tempted to try PS50 for Prep and then use PS70 for comp.

As far as rest period is concerned, try 2 min for PS50, maybe 3-5 min for PS70. If 2 minutes feels too long, try fast and loose until the lifter is ready for the next set.

I don't see shortening rest periods as necessary for hypertrophy at all. I stick with 2-3 minutes regardless and focus on manipulating intensity and volume. It can work, its just not the way I like to train.

I don't think PlanStrong programs are suited to tinkering with the rest periods beyond the stated guidelines. Although it might seem a bit obvious to say so, longer rests might mean the weights seems too light, and shorter rests will run the risk of the load being too heavy.

Having said that, I did a PlanStrong cycle and took longer rests - not what you're asking about, I realize, but hopefully it makes the point - and the weights seemed too light to me. If I was intending to play with the rest periods, I might consider carefully changing the ARI/HARI and trying to match that with your choice of rest period.

JMO.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom