all posts post new thread

Hypertrophy Hypertrophy w/puddleduck

Strength vs Hypertrophy

They essentially are polar opposites.

Information on this has been posted.

Let's go over that information once more.

Hypertrophy Training

This Training Protocol works for increasing muscle mass.

Hypertrophy Training falls more into the category of Endurance Training.

If an individual only performs Hypertrophy Training, nothing else, it comes at the expense of a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

As someone once said, "Bodybuilder look like Tarzan and train like Jane".

By the same token, if Maximum Strength Training is only employed, it comes at the expense a decrease in Hypertrophy and Endurance.

However, Hypertrophy Training can enhance Maximum Strength and Maximum Strength can contribute to Hypertrophy in a well written/executed program.

Completely Different Training

They are trained differently

Maximum Strength raining

1) Low Reps of 1-5 Per Set

2) Load of 85% of 1 Repetition Max

3) Long Rest Period between Sets of 3 Minutes; Pavel has stated that even longer Rest Periods of 15 Minutes may required between Heavy Set.

Hypertrophy Training

1) Moderate to High Repetition of 8 - 20 or more Per Set

2) Load of 60-80% of 1 Repetition Max

3) Short Rest Period between Sets of 60 Seconds.

Short Rest Periods ensure "The Pump" is maintained; which elicits a downstream anabolic effect.

Volume Training

Some individual respond well when the Volume is increased...

Low Volume/High Intensity

I respond better to Low Volume/High Intensity Training.

The Same Response

Like you, when I've increased Volume, I have gone backwards.

Overly Ambitious

To often individual are Overly Ambitions believing "More is better".

As you essentially stated, more is often detrimental.

It leads to OverTraining.

Chris Thibaudeau

Thibaudeau provide a interesting information on training based on your Neuro Type.

Below is the Cliff Note Breakdown...

The Synergist Effect of Training Various Strength

This was just covered in a previous post.

Research as well as anecdotal data have demonstrated the implementation of Different Type Of Strength into a program elicits a greater Training Response.

Block Training as well as Conjugate Training are two proven method that work.

I think that is pretty spot on. Over time, most people should probably be hitting a range of intensities, sets, and reps.
I do this also, but getting to deep into the higher reps and increased sets has to be limited for me. I like working up to a heavy single or 3 and then back the weights down for 2-3x3-6 for the majority of my work. I was dropping back down to around the 70% range for higher rep sets for a good bit but it just wasn’t doing the job.

I have been hammering my Titan seated row for 3x3-6 reps for the a good while now. I start at a weight that I can get 3x3 and work it up adding a rep when it’s there until I get 3x6. It’s put some mass on my upper back, which is my main focus right now but my strength increases with dealing with my big 310lbs sandbag has blown my mind.

It's not complicated and I'm surprised there's even an argument on here. I suspect we're arguing on a misunderstanding. Strength and hypertrophy exist on a continuum. This is where the notion of polar opposite comes from. At one end of the continuum you can build strength without appreciable hypertrophy and at the other end you can build hypertrophy without appreciable strength. If your goal is strength but not hypertrophy you will go about your workout in a certain way (e.g. PTTP). And if your goal is hypertrophy but not strength you will choose a different way (e.g. GVT). And if your goal is strength AND hypertrophy you will choose a different way again (e.g. StrongLifts). That is hardly controversial.
It’s not so much an argument as a discussion but I do think the details matter…. The high volume low rest to hypertrophy approach you mention is a really inefficient way to achieve hypertrophy. Of course many ways will yield some hypertrophic response, just as you might arrive at your destination by leaving your house and walking round and round until you find it, but other ways are better. Many of the mechanisms we believed drove hypertrophy are looking less and less valid and there are emerging models that look increasingly strong. So it’s still worthy of discussion

Shorter rests will reduce motor unit recruitment in subsequent sets and so make them less effective for hypertrophy. The higher reps will generate greater CI related fatigue which will increase recovery requirement and/or reduce effectiveness of subsequent workouts

Last edited:
Strength vs Hypertrophy

They essentially are polar opposites.

Information on this has been posted.

Let's go over that information once more.

Hypertrophy Training

This Training Protocol works for increasing muscle mass.

Hypertrophy Training falls more into the category of Endurance Training.

If an individual only performs Hypertrophy Training, nothing else, it comes at the expense of a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

As someone once said, "Bodybuilder look like Tarzan and train like Jane".

By the same token, if Maximum Strength Training is only employed, it comes at the expense a decrease in Hypertrophy and Endurance.

However, Hypertrophy Training can enhance Maximum Strength and Maximum Strength can contribute to Hypertrophy in a well written/executed program.

Completely Different Training

They are trained differently

Maximum Strength raining

1) Low Reps of 1-5 Per Set

2) Load of 85% of 1 Repetition Max

3) Long Rest Period between Sets of 3 Minutes; Pavel has stated that even longer Rest Periods of 15 Minutes may required between Heavy Set.

Hypertrophy Training

1) Moderate to High Repetition of 8 - 20 or more Per Set

2) Load of 60-80% of 1 Repetition Max

3) Short Rest Period between Sets of 60 Seconds.

Short Rest Periods ensure "The Pump" is maintained; which elicits a downstream anabolic effect.

Volume Training

Some individual respond well when the Volume is increased...

Low Volume/High Intensity

I respond better to Low Volume/High Intensity Training.

The Same Response

Like you, when I've increased Volume, I have gone backwards.

Overly Ambitious

To often individual are Overly Ambitions believing "More is better".

As you essentially stated, more is often detrimental.

It leads to OverTraining.

Chris Thibaudeau

Thibaudeau provide a interesting information on training based on your Neuro Type.

Below is the Cliff Note Breakdown...

The Synergist Effect of Training Various Strength

This was just covered in a previous post.

Research as well as anecdotal data have demonstrated the implementation of Different Type Of Strength into a program elicits a greater Training Response.

Block Training as well as Conjugate Training are two proven method that work.
really disagree with the listed hypertrophy prescription. Higher reps and shorter rest certainly isn’t the only way and i believe is a less effective way to approach this.

There’s nuance to this, but again for most people at most times I would say 5-8 reps is the magic, 2-3 mins rest between sets, erring on the longer side for more fatigue inducing movements.

The difference - I would posit - is that training for strength is usually movement based primarily (ie you are training to get a bigger bench or similar) and training for hypertrophy is based around muscle. So you would pick whatever movements you find effective to work a particular muscle. You still want to be seeing progressive overload as an indicator it’s working, which means you’re getting stronger in that movement.

The other difference would be the avoidance of lifts under say the 4 rep range in most hypertrophy programs, with 5-8 prob being ideal most of the time

Long Interset Rest Periods

I read Schoenfeld's research on this when it came out.

It will increase Muscle Mass to a degree. However, not to the same extent of...

"The Pump"

Post 23 goes into this.

The downside of Short Hypertrophy Rest Period less Strength is gain comparative to the Long Interset Rest Periods.

Higher reps and shorter rest certainly isn’t the only way and i believe is a less effective way to approach this.
The Training Objective

Short Rest Periods produce an increase in Lactate.

Lactate elicits a downstre anabolic effect (Dr. Jeremy Loenneke)

Dr. Jonathan Oliver stated the same in his National Strength and Conditioning presentation at Texas A&M a few year back; Oliver presentation is still available on youtube.

With Long Rest Periods Lactate dissipates. Thus, while is effect at Increasing Muscle Mass, it not as effective.

training for strength is usually movement based primarily (ie you are training to get a bigger bench or similar)
Training For Strength

Training for Strength is usually for a particular movement. However, it can be use to increase Strength in any movement; providing the right protocol is performed.

With that said, if an individual want to improve a particular lift, optimally that lift should be trained for Technique rather than being performed as a movement to increase Strength.

Increasing Strength is developed with Exercises that have the same Strength Curve and Movement Pattern.

The issue with utilizing a lift as mean of increasing Strength works to a degree. However, as Muscle Fatigue sets in Technique is altered for the worst.

training for hypertrophy is based around muscle.
Yes
You still want to be seeing progressive overload as an indicator it’s working, which means you’re getting stronger in that movement.
Progressive OverLoad

This is fundament for Hypertrophy and Maximum Strength Training.

While Progressive Hypertrophy OverLoading increase Strength, it not to the same extent that the Maximum Strength Training Protocol does.

Synergistic Effect

To reiterate, one Strength enhance the other.

Thus, finding a way to incorporate them into a Training Program elicits a greater effect.

...5-8 reps is the magic, 2-3 mins rest between sets, erring on the longer side for more fatigue inducing movements...

...The other difference would be the avoidance of lifts under say the 4 rep range in most hypertrophy programs, with 5-8 prob being ideal most of the time

Personally, when it comes to hypertrophy the rest periods should be cued to "feel". If you feel ready to go, there is probably no point in waiting longer. Also probably no point in deliberately chopping them. I tend to go by breathing recovery plus a little extra. Since this is tied to CO2 levels in the blood, is a good indicator you are superficially recovered. This is the prime means of removing H+ ions from buffering lactate. It doesn't reduce lactate, it just means systemic pH is stable enough your breathing doesn't need to be increased any more.

When I use certain strategies like drop sets or rest/pause to extend the set, I can feel how this extends rest period by how much longer it takes for breathing to stabilize. This obviously doesn't imply total recovery, just a good impromptu metric.

When training Cluster Sets for hypertrophy, was able to use sets as low as a single rep of a 2 repmax load but with a 20-30 second rest, for as many as 5 or 6 repeats. This is very reminiscent of Mentzer myo-reps, worked well for strength and hypertrophy. I wouldn't recommend it out of the gate for most folks, but it worked.

All good. FWIW, I don't feel there is a universal truth "best" way to approach this. Am not comfortable asserting anything of the sort. Its amazing that there is still so much about this we don't have a solid handle on.

The Training Objective

Short Rest Periods produce an increase in Lactate.

Lactate elicits a downstre anabolic effect (Dr. Jeremy Loenneke)

Dr. Jonathan Oliver stated the same in his National Strength and Conditioning presentation at Texas A&M a few year back; Oliver presentation is still available on youtube.

With Long Rest Periods Lactate dissipates. Thus, while is effect at Increasing Muscle Mass, it not as effective.

Training For Strength

Training for Strength is usually for a particular movement. However, it can be use to increase Strength in any movement; providing the right protocol is performed.

With that said, if an individual want to improve a particular lift, optimally that lift should be trained for Technique rather than being performed as a movement to increase Strength.

Increasing Strength is developed with Exercises that have the same Strength Curve and Movement Pattern.

The issue with utilizing a lift as mean of increasing Strength works to a degree. However, as Muscle Fatigue sets in Technique is altered for the worst.

Yes

Progressive OverLoad

This is fundament for Hypertrophy and Maximum Strength Training.

While Progressive Hypertrophy OverLoading increase Strength, it not to the same extent that the Maximum Strength Training Protocol does.

Synergistic Effect

To reiterate, one Strength enhance the other.

Thus, finding a way to incorporate them into a Training Program elicits a greater effect.
I’ll take a look to make sure I’m not wrong, but I believe the lactate theory looked good on mice studies, but later in vivo human studies demonstrated no increase in protein synthesis…

An accurate/balanced pic is probably to say the jury is still out but if I get time today I’ll link to some articles. Think they might be paywalled but I’ll check

The pump

The suggestion I’ve read is that the pump is more pronounced in fast twitch fibers, so people with a greater proportion of these experience a greater pump. But that doesn’t mean chasing a the pump leads to greater hypertrophy, as the methods to achieve this typically involve greater fatigue, reduced motor recruitment etc

I'd find it more convincing if they'd caused some muscle damage per the rodent studies. Also if they'd run the experiment over a time period opposed to a single bout. Lac levels in the muscle weren't much different between groups, nor was intramuscular pH. If it was a threshold effect instead of linear magnitude, this experiment wouldn't reveal it.

Would be very informative if they could work-equate two groups with/without lac elevation above baseline. This is where I come back to isometrics and its relative lack of hypertrophy compared to work equated isotonics. Isometrics has higher % recruitment, for longer absolute TUT (by a huge margin) at lower metabolic cost, it should be the king of hypertrophy if tension is the only factor.

The evidence for lac, generally includes a cascade of knock-on effects up to and including gene expression. Again, I don't claim one way or the other but I do plan my training around certain presumptions. The evidence for this/that/the other is all over the map.

Last edited:
I think I wrote about these topics with the joints some time ago. Because for me the question of weight and how it affects them remains open. But let's compare two types of training, but not at equalized volume. Usually someone who trains for strength trains with less volume. Let's give an example of the usual training of two different men. One with a 3x5 or 5x2 protocol. If your max is 100 kg, 3x5x85 is 1275 kg. total volume, 5x2x92 is 920 kg. total volume. The other man, if he trains more in bodybuilding style at 70% of the max, will do, say, 3x12x70, which is 2,520 kg. total volume. And from here it can be said that at first glance you trained with a lighter weight, but you were much more time under tension, you did a much larger total volume and the friction in the joints was 36 times /3x12/ compared to 15 or 10 times. Naturally, some people will express the opinion that the pressure on the joints /3x5 with 85%/ was more severe, but in the specific case, if you decided to do 3 sets on the corresponding exercise, I'm not sure if 3x5x85% is worse than 3x12x70%.
What do you think about the particular example.

I'm inclined to agree.

When we look at the typical overuse injuries from work or such, I'd say it's typically always the reps or time, not the load.

When it comes to acute injuries, the gym is a very safe space among the sports.

When training Cluster Sets for hypertrophy, was able to use sets as low as a single rep of a 2 repmax load but with a 20-30 second rest, for as many as 5 or 6 repeats. This is very reminiscent of Mentzer myo-reps, worked well for strength and hypertrophy.
Heavy Cluster Set Training

This is usually referred to for Maximum Strength Training as "Rest-Pause Training" (Myo-Reps)

As noted, once failure occurs in a Set, Rest and then perform additional Repetitions.

With Low Repetition Training this appears to be more effective for Maximum Strength Training than Hypertrophy.

Performing it with a Higher Repetition is more effective for Hypertrophy.

Ironically, that is what many lifter unknowing do with Higher Repetition Sets.

In performing a Bench Press for 10 Repetitions, let's say they struggle with the 7th Rep. The lifter will often "Pause and Rest" before attempting the 8th, 9th and 10th Rep to complete the Set of 10.

Cluster Sets For Power

This method is used with the following...

Olympic Lifts

Cluster Set Training is utilized by many Olympic Lifter; Resting Between Repetition in a Set.

Low Repetition Cluster Sets. Dr. Greg Haff determined that Rest Periods of 45 Seconds between Cluster Reps allowed approximately80% of ATP Muscle Restoration.

The Westside Powerlifting Method

The Westside Powerlifting Protocol for "Speed Training" (a misnomer, it is Power Training) is Cluster Set Training. Load of 48-62% of 1 Repetitions Max are used.

Box Squat Reps are 2 Per Cluster. A 60 Second Rest Period is taken, then another 2 Repetition are performed.

Kettlebell Cluster Set Swings

Kettlebell Cluster Set Swing are usually performed EMOM, Every Minute On The Minute.

For Power Load of One-Third body Weight an Higher Performed for Low Repetition are used to increase Power.

The Downside of Hypertrophy Training Alone

The Standard Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy Protocol is the most effective at increasing Muscle Mass.

The downside is it increase Muscle Mass at the expense of a decrease in Maximum Strength and Power, it trained alone.

Cluster Set Hypertrophy Training

Dr. Jonathan Oliver's research determined this method promotes Hypertrophy while maintaining and/or Increasing Strength and Power.

Light to Moderate Load performed with Small Cluster of Repetitions, less than 5 Reps.

Each Repetition need to be Explosive; which innervating and developing the Large Type II Fibers.

Shorter Rest Periods of around 15 Seconds were employed for Hypertrophy.

Longer Rest Periods of approximately 45 Second were determine to optimize Power Development.

Oliver Training Objective

Oliver's research objective on this was to find a method for In Season Athletes in Strength, Power, Speed Sports to be able to maintain them while Increasing Muscle Mass.

Speed and Power Training Training Percentages

First, let's define the Training Percentage that develop them.

1) Speed Training

10-40%, with around 30% the sweet spot of 1 Repetition Max in Traditional Exercise such as Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, ect.

2) Power Training

48-62% of 1 Repetition Max with Traditional Exercises such as Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, etc.

The Training Percentage for Olympic Movement is 70-80% of 1 Repetition Max.

The Issue With Many Lifters

Many lifter focus too much on using Heavier Loads. They believe "Heavier is better"; which it isn't.

The key to increasing Speed and Power is perform the movement with Explosive Force; move the Load quickly. Doing so, elicits and develop "Super" Fast IIb/x Muscle Fibers; which does not occur with Heavy Loads.

"Lifting Heavy Weights Makes You Slow"

This is validity to this.

If Heavy Training is solely performed, there is a conversion of the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Fiber to the slower "Strength" Fast Type IIa Fiber.

The Exception To The Rule

Initially, Novice Lifter will increase Speed and Power on a Maximum Strength Training Program.

However, once that adaptation occurs, continuing to train Maximum Strength will lead to a decrease in Speed and Power.

Take Home Message

"Rest-Pause" Heavy Training and Cluster Set Speed and Power Training are effective.

Each requires a Specific Training Percentage be employed.

The Rest Periods between Cluster Repetitions also need to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom