all posts post new thread

Old Forum i got a barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

william bad butt

Level 7 Valued Member
I've recently acquired an Olympic barbell, power rack and about 500 lbs worth of plates!! It has been about 1.5 years I last lifted. I have been following S and S since the book was released. I am addicted to this program (a few times i have even done it twice a day!). I have achieved the Simple goal and intend on continuing until I achieve Sinister goal. My only other training includes routine walking with a weight-vest and the frequental random sport with friends (bball, climbing., etc.). I want to use this new toy and incorporate a little barbell training. Any thoughts? I was thinking about incorporating once or twice a week barbell squats. A couple years ago I had success with Wendlers 5 3 1 and Pavels PTTP Professional "Ryabinnikov Plan". I may try these again and focus only on the squat ( with my daily S&S).

Without any real goals anything sounds great, and really it is. If you have a certain goal then elaborate.   But you could follow 5/3/1 2x week and do kb's easily.

5/3/1 is a good choice adaptable to most situations. Or perhaps two weeks of PTTP and two weeks of S&S?

Thanks Pavel and all. Eric, I'm glad you asked about goals because it makes me think about it. 1 stay healthy. 2 become Sinister and beyond. 3 improve hamstring flexibility. 4 confinue to be active playing intramural sports and activities. 4 well this goal i just came up with but how about improve my back squat. I feel the 3 powerlifts have tremendous benefit to building strength. I do prefer deadlifts to squats (and I am bettter at them too) but I am getting my hinge in with S&S swings. All the getups are kind of like a press (isometric). So if I add a barbell move the squat seems appropriate because I'm currently not doing a squat with intensity (goblet squats are light and really help with mobility).

Ok here is my squatting plan (in addition to daily S&S goblets squats). Please comment if there are obvious issues with this, I stink at programming. A couple years ago at a bodyweight of 240 I peaked squatting 405 for 2 reps on a good day. Not strong compared to professionals, but I remember being very proud adding another set of wheels. Today I'm a lean 190. I imagine I'll need to build up to this slowly. I am going to squat twice a week. On Saturdays follow the 25 week Ryabinnikov Plan using a conservative training Max of 270 to start. After 25 weeks, if I follow the plan to the letter, I will be squatting 350 for 2 reps. Does this seem to conservative or should I start with 315 instead of 270 as my initial training Max? On my second squat day, Tuesday's, I will use very low weight and more volume to practice the movement. Something like 50% of training Max for 10S of 5R, next week 9S of 6R, ..., eventually 5S of 10R,

I did something like this a few years ago and it worked, minus the volume day. If you think I'm setting myself up for failure please let me know. S&S Sinister is still my top priority, the squat is just for fun (cherry on top).

Took a day off from S&S today and did a few heavy low rep press/pullup ladders. Then i proceeded to conduct my 1st barbell squat workout in years. It was a little harder than i expected. I did deep high bar squats (barefoot) 10 sets of 5 reps with 135 lbs. My legs feel thoroughly worn. But I'm hoping all my daily goblet squats have conditioned my legs enough to prevent DOMS the next few days. Saturday I will attempt heavy low bar squats for much lower volume. My current definition of heavy is 190 lbs. Something tells me ill be avoiding stairs tomorrow!

I was sore most of the week, but that was to be expected. Today I did 5x5 low bar squats, wide stance, just below parralel squats with 190 lbs. It was pretty easy. Next week on Tuesday I'm doing high bar squats with 135 lbs 6reps x 9 sets. Next Saturday ill do low bar squats with 230 lbs 3 reps X 5 sets.

I think you should take the simplest road after a layoff. Don't oh to 5x5, start at 3x5. Take your 190 or a bit more a go 3x5 with the last set bring an amrap. the last set should put you around 12-15 ish. Add 5 lb each session 2x weekly until your at about 6-7 reps. Then 2.5 as ling as reps are staying at 6. This is it for now. This will bring you back and get you plenty of practice. Save more complicated programming for when it's needed, right now this simple linear progression will be solid. Ask questions If this doesn't make sense.

Eric thx for the post! I was going for simple, maybe I missed. What im doing: Starting with conservative weights, high volume and low intensity. Over time waving the volume down as I brought the intensity up. How much simpler can it get? I'm 1 week into a 5 week cycle. After I complete it I will re evaluate where I am and consider your advice. Your advice is really sound. I agree with you that a simple linear progression is best. Depending on my progress in 4 weeks I may seek your advice. From past experience I know I prefer waving large jumps in training loads vs incremental increases with small loads (like 5 lb increases). Whether it is real or imaginery, the former seems to tax my CNS less and I don't "train on the nerve".

After just 1 week of squat training ive learner a few things. In the past I did a squat. I didn't think about it much, a kind of hybrid Olympic/powerlifting squat ( probably more Olympic style). Now I am purposely doing a each style. One example of a learning is the stretch reflex I feel during a wide stance low bar squat, this is new to me. It makes me feel like I could handle impossible loads! I'm more used to the Olympic style where there isn't much muscle tension in the bottom position to help me out of the hole. Ill keep experimenting with this, at least for another month and see what comes of it.

Did 135 lb high bar Olympic squats on Tuesday, 9 sets of 6 reps. This was easy and intended to be q tonic day. I think next week ill back off on the volume some. Today I did low bar powerlifting squats with 230 lbs, 5 sets of 3 reps. The weight felt comfortable, even though I am trying out this new ultra wide stance. Next Saturday ill try 210 lbs 6r X 4s. Been doing S&S the other 5 days of the week. Definitely feel like I mastered the 32 kg. Next week I may sprinkle in some 36 kg reps.

Today I did 275 lbs barefoot squats for 2 reps x 4 sets. The weight is starting to feel a little bit heavy, but not to bad. Doing these barefoot makes them a lot more difficult for me. Next week ill attempt 290 lbs for 4 reps x 5 sets. Still sticking to S&S 5 days per week with 32 & 36 kg bell. Ive never felt so healthy.

Sounds like your doing well with your programming. Maybe you know more than you thought. I think there a bunch of ways for all this stuff to work and mist people have different likes/dislikes. I dislike an LP system because I have a baby and work night shift so as intensity rises it fails me because my life is nuts. I do great on volume work and 70-85% intensity work. I'll usually squat 4-5 sets of 3 across and stay at that weight until I can pause each rep for 3 seconds in the hole. After those sets I'm primed so I do 3x5-8 reps paused breathing squats taking 50lb off the bar.

Eric, for squats I like twice per week sessions. Any more than that and my legs feel very immobile. I once tried daily PTTP with squats and I hated it ( it worked with deadlifts for me though). 1 hard session and 1 easy session. The hard session I push myself with either intensity or volume or both (I like waves). The easy session I just practice. For example my easy session was yesterday, 135 lbs 5 reps x 9 sets (well under my 50% Max cability). I'm trying not to over think it, and just put up the weight.

Saturday I intended to do 290 lb barefoot squats. I was expecting it to be hard but it was not so I did 315 instead. It was a little heavy. I went real deep and slow to make it hard. Next week I'm going to back off and do reps with 200 lbs. This concludes the first 5 week wave of the Ryabinnikov Plan. I will probably let this post die, but i will continue with the program. Ive put on some muscle in the last 5 weeks and my legs are thicker, i feel very strong. In the last 5 weeks of squatting it is amazing how much food I put away. I probably eat as much as a family. There is no doubt ive gained a few lbs. I like being 190 lbs bodyweight. I may need to clean up my diet a little bit, long term this isn't desirable. Anyone claiming they cant put on bodyweight/muscle is not squatting!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom