all posts post new thread

Old Forum I hop to the left.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
I have never done swings in front of a mirror until recently.  I noticed that after doing ten or more swings that I have moved slightly to the left.  I suppose that means that I favor one side, an asymmetry.  To watch myself, it looks and feels like I am swinging straight down the middle, but sure enough, my feet are moving sideways.  When I begin a set, I can see both feet in the mirror, but after a set my left foot is outside the view of the mirror.  Has anyone else ever noticed themselves doing this? Does it hurt anything, or is it indicative of a problem I need to correct?

Jeffrey, if I'm reading this correctly, your entire body is moving meaning your feet are unweighted enough for them to travel. Purely from a physics perspective, this is because you're generating momentum with the bell towards the left (likely pushing more with the right leg or rotating towards the left with your trunk or both) but you are also probably transmitting too much force vertically with the bell. You are likely "jumping" while swinging. If you think about a swing being more forward projection of the bell versus swinging it up to a certain height, you may correct your wandering. I'm assuming that this is during 2 hand swings? What are things like during one handed swings?

hi Jeffrey, I have not noticed this in myself, but a good fix would be to stand along side a wall in your workout area with the outside of your left foot pressed against the wall.  work on your swings that way for a while to center yourself.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom