all posts post new thread

Nutrition I need advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

maggied1815

First Post
hi. this is my first time ever doing something like this and i hope i’m doing it right. i am a 18 year old female and i weigh 90 pound and i’m 5 foot exactly. i’ve been trying to gain weight for almost two years this summer, it got really bad 2023 summer when i got down to 100 pounds and my weight suddenly decreased the most around august 2023 and i was 95 pounds and kept dropping. i haven’t gotten under 90 pounds but i keep going to doctor and getting blood work and so many other things done to figure out what’s wrong because my blood work comes back and everything is normal. i’m just mainly on here asking if anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to gain weight. also i have tried eating small snacks throughout the day but it doesn’t seem like it’s working because i’m not gaining weigh. i’m at the point when im willing to try anything at this point.

This is something for your doctor, or a nutritionist, or both, not an Internet forum, IMO. We cannot and do not give medical advice here.

-S-

hi. this is my first time ever doing something like this and i hope i’m doing it right. i am a 18 year old female and i weigh 90 pound and i’m 5 foot exactly. i’ve been trying to gain weight for almost two years this summer, it got really bad 2023 summer when i got down to 100 pounds and my weight suddenly decreased the most around august 2023 and i was 95 pounds and kept dropping. i haven’t gotten under 90 pounds but i keep going to doctor and getting blood work and so many other things done to figure out what’s wrong because my blood work comes back and everything is normal. i’m just mainly on here asking if anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to gain weight. also i have tried eating small snacks throughout the day but it doesn’t seem like it’s working because i’m not gaining weigh. i’m at the point when im willing to try anything at this point.
I would make sure the doc checks you to make sure you don’t have diabetes.

Otherwise I suggest keeping a food journal where you track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth for two weeks. This will show you what and how much you are actually eating, not what you think you’re eating.

Like Steve suggested, seeing a nutritionist or dietician may also be a good idea.

This is something for your doctor, or a nutritionist, or both, not an Internet forum, IMO. We cannot and do not give medical advice here.

-S-
I hope this person will make sure to get proper medical advice, of course, but we give advice all the time on the forum about how to gain and lose weight.

Assuming medical complications can be ruled out, I'd give you (the OP) the same advice I'd give to someone saying "I just CAN'T lose weight no matter how few calories I eat" - Keep A Log Of Every Single Thing That Goes In Your Mouth. And then you'll know how much (or how little) you're actually eating.

When teenagers ask me how to get bigger, my first response is always a question - "What do you eat for breakfast?". Almost inevitably the answer is, at best, "very little". Start w. a huge breakfast that has plenty of protein and fat. Lather up everything w. peanut butter. Have protein shakes between meals - milk, whey powder, creatine, orange metamucil, and a dash of maccha or instant coffee is what I like in mine. Drink whole milk instead of whatever you normally drink.

Big Ribeye steaks and ground beef with out draining the fat. Eat rice and drink a glass of whole milk with almost every meal. Eat a big peanut butter and Nutella sandwich before bed. Grab a handful of nuts or seeds to eat with your meal. Nature Valley granola bars with peanut butter packs a lot of calories too! That made me 225. You basically need proportions you wouldn’t even dream of right now. If my 160 pound self saw me eating at a buffet, I’d probably be disgusted. And while you try to eat more make sure to go to another doctor. I hope you don’t have a serious condition and that you feel well soon.

Last edited:
As others have said, we can’t give medical advice, but we can give some advice about how to approach your situation from a problem-solving perspective.

I will also suggest keeping a food log for a couple weeks. It can be tedious, but you also want to make sure you are accurately recording amounts. You don’t need to go get a food scale, but at least try to use a measuring cup for appropriate food items, and do an internet search on how to “eyeball” portion sizes. Stay consistent with your portion sizes. Then you at least might have an idea of how much to increase your intake after a couple weeks.

I’ll also second searching for a nutritionist, or a functional medicine practitioner, preferably one who has experience with many female clients.

Hope you find something that helps.

I agree with everyone suggesting a nutritionist or another doctor but assuming your only symptom not weighing as much as you want to (not weird digestive stuff, for instance) one trick that always worked for me was a PB&J on Dave's Killer Bread (or some other clean, high calorie, high protein bread).

Also strength/hypertrophy training.

I know it’s old fashioned but ‘gallon of milk a day’ (GOMAD), maybe even half a gallon for the OP, given her slightness, has never been known to fail when it comes to getting the scales moving upwards. Full fat, lactose free if intolerant, add some flavour if you wish. Milk seems to have the calories and nutritional profile appropriate for the task.

Well, I would try to find a doc (Naturopathic Physician, Functional Medicine, Integrative Physician) who will give you this test to see what's going on in your digestive system if its not simply a caloric problem: GI-MAP Microbial Assay Plus

Who Should Have the GI-MAP Comprehensive Stool Analysis Done?

Almost every patient can benefit from a GI-MAP gut health assessment. Some patients are looking to achieve optimal health, while other patients have been chronically ill and frustrated without a diagnosis for years.

Some conditions that warrant testing are:
  • Autoimmune diseases
  • IBS/IBD
  • Digestive complaints, diarrhea or constipation
  • Brain fog
  • Skin problems, like acne and psoriasis
  • Mood disorders, depression, and anxiety
  • Diabetes and weight loss issues

I know it’s old fashioned but ‘gallon of milk a day’ (GOMAD), maybe even half a gallon for the OP, given her slightness, has never been known to fail when it comes to getting the scales moving upwards. Full fat, lactose free if intolerant, add some flavour if you wish. Milk seems to have the calories and nutritional profile appropriate for the task.
I don’t know if it’s the German thing in my family tree or just eating like I mean it but I gain weight very easily. I just eat like I want to be bigger. Does the strong first website get hacked a lot of something? I used to eat cereal before before bed and eat bacon sandwiches with a lot of mayo. To me gaining weight is pretty easy. But some Oreos and drink a cup of milk and clearing half the package in one sitting…

I don’t know if it’s the German thing in my family tree or just eating like I mean it but I gain weight very easily. I just eat like I want to be bigger. Does the strong first website get hacked a lot of something? I used to eat cereal before before bed and eat bacon sandwiches with a lot of mayo. To me gaining weight is pretty easy. But some Oreos and drink a cup of milk and clearing half the package in one sitting…
I few Elvis sandwiches with a chocolate milk chaser on the regular should do it.

I don’t know if it’s the German thing in my family tree or just eating like I mean it but I gain weight very easily. I just eat like I want to be bigger.
I guess I always thought it was commonsense that the key to weight loss or gain is to eat like someone who weighs what you want to weigh. Want to be a 300lb strongman? Then you better be eating like one. Want to be a svelte climber? Better not be eating like the strongman.

I guess I always thought it was commonsense that the key to weight loss or gain is to eat like someone who weighs what you want to weigh. Want to be a 300lb strongman? Then you better be eating like one. Want to be a svelte climber? Better not be eating like the strongman.
I know someone who was overweight in their 20s. They ran that GI-MAP and found she wasn't digesting food and had some kind of weird parasite gumming everything up. Cleaned that up and 40 lbs disappeared.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom