all posts post new thread

Old Forum I need some advice on CNS Testing please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hank Hansen

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

I´d like to have your advice on designing a program that is based on choosing weights/sets/frequency etc. based on testing grip strength with a dynamometer.
Goal: Become as strong a possible in a set of 5 of the follwing lifts:
-Squat (low bar, Starting Strengths style)
-Deadlift (conventional)
-Weighted Dips (parallel bar)
I´m 39 years old, 5´9", 161 lbs. My job (no manual labor) can at times be quite stressful while at other times it´s very easy going. I can spend 5 hours max per week in my home gym (Barbells, Kettlebells) preferrably not streched over more than 3 sessions per week. Massive clean eating is not a problem, average hormone levels, small joints and tiny hands. Preferred assistance exercises (if necessary): BB Press, Double KB C+P, Double KB Swings, more BB Squats, RKC Plank, Hardstyle Sit-ups. Strenghts level is advanced beginner, haven´t lifted anything in months due to life´s circumstances and bouts of laziness.
I´m not tied to a fixed schedule so I could train any day of the week.
I´m not sure how to structure this. I´ve read about the stress/recovery/adaption cycle and thought to myself perhaps it´s possible to use the dynamometer to hit the adaption window accurately. Should I train all the main lifts in one session (e.g. working up to top set of 5) and wait till grip has recovered above baseline? Or should I use an A/B split? Or train each lift once per week (plus assistance exercises) and adjust intensity/volume according to grip strenth? I have no idea :).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi!

I haven't heard of the dynamo method that you speak of, however, there are a lot of successful set-ups that vary the load without necessarily taking the daily grip strength into concideration. Take Power to the People! as a good exemple. It delivers results on a three-days-a-week-dose and the sessions can be as short as 40 minutes if you arrange them like this:

*The Prying Goblet Squat and the SF Hip Bridge in a circuit for mobility/warm up.

*The Deadlift 2x5

*The Dip 2x5

Since you train alone without spotters, I'd leave the Squat. If that's not an option for you, try pistols in a Grease-the-Groove-manner when getting out of a chair etc. The Deadlift and the Pistol will probably add to your squating strength without you doing the original exercise.

For more info read Pavel's:

*Power to the people! (the push and press set-up).

*Naked worrior (the Grease the Groove set-up).

Best regards, Henke in Sweden

Hank, testing grip strength and basing a workout on that isn't something most of us here do.  I know this is popular in some quarters - why not seek out the people who train this way and ask their advice?  You might try a web search on something like "weight training grip biofeedback" or similar.

-S-

Thanks for the replies!

I did some more research on it and have to say that I don´t think biofeedback training is for me. Especially at my (rather low) level of strength I´d be better off just sticking to the tried and tested principles from Pavel´s material. Since I also want to build muscle mass I´ll do a simple program that builds lasting strength through volume, e.g. 5x5, ladders etc.

I´m thinking something along the lines of:

Monday: heavy squat 5x5, upper body medium ladders

Wednesday: deadlift 5x5, upper body light ladders

Friday: light squat, upper body heavy ladders

warmups will be halos, get ups and prying goblet squats, perhaps some light swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom