all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Idea: Mega Simple Program Minimum

marvinthemartian

Level 5 Valued Member
Evening everyone!

After having worked up to being able to do Timed Simple pretty much every day last year I have been stuck in a rut. The various KB programs don't thrill me all that much, my place is too small for barbell+rack+bench and even though endurance is the one physical quality I want to improve the most, endurance training kinda sucks in the city and I am too lazy to go for a run on the sidewalk when it is cold and wet outside. So after experimenting a bit with "A+A" I want to see if this type of training can actually build decent endurance. And because I have no real fitness goals right now I want to take the old S&S/PM formula once more.

Rough outline

Mo-Sat Alternate Days:
  • Workout A: Swings EMOM with Step Ups for active recovery for 50+ minutes
  • Workout B: Reverse Get Up EMOM for 50+ minutes
Sunday Off Day

Starting Point:
  • 16kg KB for 30 minutes each.
  • Work up to 50+ minutes
Progression:
  • Every 2 weeks substitute 9 sets (roughly 20% of 50 sets; I do Two Handed Swings every third set) with the 4kg heavier KB
Goal:
  • 50+ sets of Swings EMOM with the 32kg KB
  • 50+ sets of Reverse Get Ups EMOM with the 32kg KB
If the progressions goes smoothly this should take just a bit over a year. At least my goal is to stick with this until the end of the year and to see how things go.

I have worked up to doing swings for 30 minutes "A+A" with the 32kg KB every other day. So I don't expect much in terms of strength/size from swings. But the Reverse Get Ups are done with a C&P at the start. So maybe there will be some upper strength gains. I am hopeful on the endurance gains. The Step Ups also allow me to keep my heart rate up with the lighter weights. But given that I am too lazy to go for a run (it's cold and wet and there is traffic) I won't be too depressed if the overall endurance gains are mediocre.

Well, that's the weird program I have come up with for myself for 2023. Feel free to comment. :eek:

If you can already do Timed Simple, I'm surprised you're dropping all the way down to a 16 kg for this.

If we assume an undulating periodization program that starts in the 60-65% 1 RM range, I would have thought you'd start this block with a 20-24 kg KB.

If you can already do Timed Simple, I'm surprised you're dropping all the way down to a 16 kg for this.

If we assume an undulating periodization program that starts in the 60-65% 1 RM range, I would have thought you'd start this block with a 20-24 kg KB.
I am unsure about the volume, especially for get ups. Haven't done them in a structured way for 3 months. But yeah, the 16kg KB is probably to light for me. There is a bit of sweat during the swing workouts and my shoulders get a good stretch doing Get Ups.

i love running in the city, try to beat those lights is my favorite fartlek workout. Running in nature is obviously superior but take what you got. I’m lucky and have a huge lake and river with beautifully maintained paths as well. I feel like most modern city’s have something equivalent to this.

Number one goal=endurance you expect mediocre gains.
To me you need to to do real endurance to reap the rewards. Although I’m biased and have never dedicated time to step ups (gimme traffic and snow any day over staring at a set of stairs for 50min)You only feel the cold and wet in the beginning and then your golden (usually…). I say try real running for a couple of weeks. Sometimes you dread the thought of going out in it thatn you really think.

I am unsure about the volume, especially for get ups.

I know you didn't ask for opinions, but....

50 min of EMOM Get Ups sounds pretty sketchy.

It's a high skill move and not the kind of thing you want to do with a lot of fatigue if you want to be safe.

But if you drop the weight enough to be safe for 50 min straight, I don't think it's going to be as good a stimulus as just doing a heavier weight for less reps / time.

Otherwise, I think you're going to end up half way through with a lot of ugly, sad get ups.

I agree with the above comments. If you want to do Swings and get ups, other than S&S, Kettlebells Strong (Strong and fit website) ; strong as hec are good programs you might want to read about them to see what is included or not.

At the end of the day, the program that you follow is the best one. If you want to follow ypur program just follow and see. But I agree w comments about TGU being an endurance move … At least to me, it does not sound as the best endurance exercise.

In my humble opinion . If you're going to do this...

A+A is best when there's a bit of freshness at the start of each set.

Keep the swings to sets of 5 or less if you're going to do EMOM timing . Consider 90s - 120s intervals for swings in sets of 5.

Change the getup timing to or 2 or 3 minute intervals and you might have something.

For the alactic portion, Look for something resembling completeness of rest in the interval timing and you'll keep yourself in the window of alactic training.

The aerobic bit with a stepper. I've been doing this periodically. And I think that'll be just fine as an aerobic component. I like to load it with a suitcase carry of a light kettlebell myself.

Last edited:
I think it could work. My biggest concern would be shoulder health from 50+ minutes of Getups. Maybe with a 40-60lb sandbag…

For “indoor” endurance training I’d be inclined toward traditional HIIT and use the weight for strength and power. That said, circuits can do the job but at a premium for time.

My goal is increased cardiovascular endurance. I think the combination of "a+a" Swings + step ups for 40-50 minutes 3 times a week should help with that. The Reverse get ups are more of an afterthought because i could not think of what to do on the other days.
I'd split the step ups and swings into separate sessions. Or back to back perhaps

My goal is increased cardiovascular endurance.
Jumping split squats was the best piece of advice for indoor cardio I have recently got (from SF newsletter). Add anything from snatch, swing, clean and jerk, and you'll be fine.
I, personally, would not do TGU for cardio. It is great, sure, and my shoulders love it, but it is not great for everything.

Thanks everyone.

Just a quick clarification because it came up: I am talking about 1 Reverse Get Up every minute. So 25 per side, 50 total in 50 minutes. Not exactly a gut buster. It's more of an afterthought because I wasn't finding something to do between swing sessions and I thought it would be interesting to stick to the PM/S&S formula of swings and get ups. Sensible? Let's see. :D

I have just understood the step ups for active recovery! EMOM step ups for 50 min would be like the main dish for me !

Okay, well I think number 1 I have to start thinking about my work capacity and cardio more seriously. Number 2.. I believe you will give it a go, please let us know about the process not only the results.

Back
Top Bottom