all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Idea: Mega Simple Program Minimum

Just in case anyone comes across this thread in the future: I stopped this program mid June when the temperatures got warmer because I didn't like lying in my sweat doing the Get Ups.

Some feedback in no specific order:
  • The program is doable. I had zero issues alternating days doing 500 swings and 50 Get Ups in the manner described above.
  • The program was not exciting but I rarely felt like skipping sessions and felt great. S&S felt more of a chore to me.
  • I changed the step progression from 9 sets per 2 weeks to 10 sets per 2 weeks.
  • I was just about to do all 50 sets with the 24kg KB on both swings and TGU when I stopped.
  • I built a little strength in the KB press. I went from shaky 1s with the 24kg KB to easy singles with the 28kg KB and easy 5s with the 24kg KB. Couldn't strict press the 32kg KB.
  • My arms and shoulder girdle became a little bit bigger.
  • Doing this program I had no problem staying at 90kg/200lbs bodyweight (my original weight loss goal back when I started training with KBs) without having to watch my food. I am also at my leanest since my late teens/early 20s. So physique wise I am happy but I definitely don't look like I lift or work out :D Just healthy lean dude now
  • EDIT: wanted to add that I have visible ab muscles. I guess they come from the Get Ups. But I never really felt like my abs get worked. Not a cut six pack mind you. But noticable seperations at the top without flexing.
  • The step up part of the swing workout did the most for cardio and for pure cardio gains I probably could have done better leaving the swings out and pushing myself harder on the step ups.
  • The TGUs left me feeling flexible and great. Rarely did I have a stiff neck after work or felt stiff and poorly coordinated from sitting all day.
  • This program confirmed my suspicion that my supporting arm is stressed the most doing TGUs. Not paying attention when placing this arm or being a bit wild with my motions when it carried most of my bodyweight had a bigger impact on how my shoulders felt after a training sessions than the KB used.
All in all nothing that exciting. The volume change was interesting to me after 2 years of S&S. And I actually learned to like doing Get Ups. But I don't feel like finding out what it's like doing the above with a 32kg KB. And even though I don't mind training just to not be a complete couch potato I also feel like my training hasn't been very productive in a looong time. It's probably time for a bigger change.

Last edited:
A few things that stick out ...

1. Your starting point is way too low in regards to weight. For A+A the weight has to be HEAVY and the sets have to short & hard.... x5 OTM is fine, but if you've hit 32kg already then starting with 16kg is a total waste of time

Start with the 32kg, build to 40min and then restart with a heavier bell (+8kilos)

2. Getups OTM is going to get into a negative rest period pretty quick, especially clean-> press-> get down-> get up... That's going to take you about 35 seconds

How I would do your program is A+ A swings on day A and on day B perform get ups first then finish with the step-ups...

A few things that stick out ...

1. Your starting point is way too low in regards to weight. For A+A the weight has to be HEAVY and the sets have to short & hard.... x5 OTM is fine, but if you've hit 32kg already then starting with 16kg is a total waste of time
Start with the 32kg, build to 40min and then restart with a heavier bell (+8kilos)

Yes, you are probably right for the "A+A" part. But the Step Ups saved my bacon and I am happy with my cardio gains. I am not sure what kind of endurance you would build with properly done A+A swings so maybe I can chalk this up with "Task failed successfully". :)

2. Getups OTM is going to get into a negative rest period pretty quick, especially clean-> press-> get down-> get up... That's going to take you about 35 seconds

35 seconds is pretty accurate. But I had no problems with keeping up a steady rhythm. I found Reverse Get Ups a bit quicker to do than regular ones because the clean&press setup is quicker than lying down, rolling on my side, hugging the KB, rolling on my back and pressing out the KB.

How I would do your program is A+ A swings on day A and on day B perform get ups first then finish with the step-ups...

May work better. I personally want to be done with exercise in 1 hour. So splitting swings and step ups would not be for me.

Back
Top Bottom