all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Improving On Your Run

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rico Killjoy

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello I've got a very simple yet broad question. I'd like answers from all sides which is why the question will be so broad.

How do you improve your run?

I don't care if you want to tell me how you improve your 100m sprint, fastest mile, two mile, 3K, 5K, 10K, marathon whatever! How did you (or are you) improve your run?

Hello,

@Rico Killjoy
I think you will get lots of progressions methods ;)

What I did:
I set a distance and did it once. Then, I put a timer and tell to myself "you've to do it in 5 minutes less". Then, when reaching a plateau, I set longer distances but use the same progression frame.

In the end, I get 15km in 1h30 (so 10km/h pace) without effort. Basically, I could do it on day, and do it again the day after.

Once a week, I did a Tabata burpees (25'' on - 10'' off, 8-10 times). Only once a week is enough. Then, it is taxing.

I use swings to maintain the level. But I guess it is possible to improve your run by increasing swing pace.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don't care if you want to tell me how you improve your 100m sprint, fastest mile, two mile, 3K, 5K, 10K, marathon whatever! How did you (or are you) improve your run?
Buy, read, and follow, "Running Formula" by professor and Ph.D Jack Daniels.

-S-

Hello I've got a very simple yet broad question. I'd like answers from all sides which is why the question will be so broad.

How do you mean 'improve'?
Faster time over a given distance? (Presumably you meant this?)
Longer distances being able to be run?
More 'enjoyable' running?

I read the Pose Method book after seeing it recommended here several times and it really helped out.

The biggest thing for me was learning how to run. I ran track and cross country in high school. I sucked, but since it was a small school, I wasn't ever in danger of being cut. Every time I increased my mileage, I would get shin splints or runner's knee. I had a pretty typical heel-striking gait, and assumed that you didn't need to "learn" how to run. Fast forward a few years, I decided to give Pose running a try. Wow. Once learned how to comfortably run with a fore/mid foot strike, and a cadence of 160-180, all my problems went away.

Now that I don't really run anymore, it's nice to still be able to run almost as fast as I did when I ran a lot, after only a few weeks of "train up" time. If I really wanted to get after it at this point, it would simply be a matter of intelligently increasing the volume.

Technique focus (cadence/ posture /eyesight)
Nasal breathing
Sensible increase in run duration over the long term
patience
relaxation
mobility
strength training
mental focus and flexibility
being in nature
linking the above to a meaningful goal in-line with my top values

Hello,

@Rico Killjoy
I remember a thread where we also said that rucking could help to be better in running. So, here is another option you have

Kind regards,

Pet'

The most obvious thing is to run more. The law of specificity is for real. Although you can get some carry over effect from other activities, there really is no substitute for running. However, distance/speed does matter, a lot. Training for a better 50m sprint is VERY different than training for a 50 mile run.

Improving sprinting: This typically involves low volume sprinting with long rest breaks, plus some strength training and plyometrics. Too much volume will result in the conversion of type IIx fibers to the slower IIa fibers, no good for sprinters.

For all distances over 1 mile I tend to use only 3 tools: (use the zone #s on the left, not the right)

Tool 1: Easy pace running (MAF pace or zone 2 pace) Most elite athletes spend about 80% of their training volume in this zone. Training in this zone improves leg durability, improves economy, and increases the speed at the fuel crossover point (you burn more fat at faster speeds). It can also push up lactate threshold a little and even have a small impact on VO2 max in novices.

Tool 2: Threshold Pace (10K race pace or zone 4). This pace does a good job of pushing up the lactate threshold. It can increase your critical speed (the speed that you can hold for an extended period of time). A big dose of threshold is 40 minutes (i.e., 2 X 20 min), a small dose is 5 minutes. I would not use threshold intervals more than once per week.

Tool 3: VO2 max intervals (zone 5, max sustainable pace for 4-6 minutes, or 1 mile race pace). This pace is great for driving up the VO2 max. It is a powerful stimulus for aerobic adaptation and just a little is plenty. A big dose is 10-12 minutes, but 5-6 minutes is adequate. I would not do more than two VO2 max interval sessions per week.

If we put the tools together in a periodized program we would do something like:

Phase 1: Nothing but Tool 1 paced running. Slowly increase volume/mileage over time during this phase (10% increase per week rule). This phase should last as long as you are able. Training adaptations in this phase don't plateau for a long, long time.

Phase 2: Tool 1, and one to two Tool 2 workouts. The type of fitness we get from tool 2 tends to plateau after 8 weeks or so. As a result, phase 2 should last about 2 months.

Phase 3: Tool 1, Tool 2 and one (maybe two for experienced athletes) Tool 3 workouts. Tool 3 fitness plateaus after 3-6 weeks, so phase 3 should last 6 weeks max.

Following phase 3, you take a short taper and then have the race of your life ! ; )

That is a generic periodized program. We would adjust significantly for different race distances. For example, an ultra-marathoner should simply stay in Phase 1, with only sporadic Tool 2 workouts.

Last edited:
Hello,

@mprevost
Very interesting graph ! Plus, it is quite easy to do the link between fat / sugar consumption (below) and pace (above) if you look at simultaneously your other chart (below)
metabolic-fuels-and-exercise-intensity.png

Very instructive information :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@mprevost - excellent summary of running programs with the 3 "tools" posted above. Only things I'd add, for me, are 1. an easy week every 4th week, doing 50% or so and the average of the preceding 3 normal weeks, and, 2. in addition to not increasing weekly mileage more than 10%, don't increase longer run distance by more than 1 mile at a time, unless it's over 12mi, then cap any increase at 2 mi.

As stated, the benefit for most is going to be in Phase 1, done with consistency. Rarely is it wise to run more than 5% (distance) speed work during a week.

I'll use Mike's most excellent post but in my language, and add to it:

1. Improve your technique. I wouldn't (and you shouldn't) assume you/they don't need it.
2. Do #1 while building your base. In Mike's language, tool number 1, for me, is nasal breathing only, and comfortably doing so. Ride the envelope of easy vs. pushing.
3. Build a lot of volume doing #1 and #2... like 45-90min on most days. Unfortunately, some of the boys are not where others are, so most sessions might have to be modified release-type runs.
4. After several months of the above, add Mike's tool #3 once per week/bi-weekly. Maintain nasal as long as possible and make sure you have to mouth breath to finish.
5. Rinse & repeat.
6. Supplement with intelligent KB training. (This adds tool #'s 2 & 3.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom