all posts post new thread

Old Forum INCREDIBLE Deadlift Singles Program Resullts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EHughes323

Level 4 Valued Member
Just as the title says...I still can't believe these results. So for the past 7 weeks I did this deadlift singles program:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/deadlift-singles-success-story/

Before I started this program, I maxed out at 295 lbs for a single at a height of 5'8" (68 inches), 150 lbs body weight, and an age of 23 years young. I probably could have done 305 lbs, but I decided to play it safe and use 295 for my rep calculations. Throughout the program I felt great, and on the very last workout before max-out week I did 280 for 6 EASY singles, and even used a double overhand grip for them. In fact, I used a double overhand grip for the entire duration of the program, but on max-out day I used a mixed grip for all of my sets, even the warm-up ones.  I was very confident going in to the gym to max out, and was gunning for 335 lbs for a 1RM, and would have been perfectly happy with that. But, I managed to take it a step further. Here is exactly how it went down...

135x5

225x3

275x1

295x1

315x1 (really easy...getting very excited at this point)

335x1 (still felt easy and went up quick, I am extremely pumped at this point, so I decide to try for 1 more...)

365x1 (NAILED THIS!!! Even held it at the top for a second before it started to slip!!!)

UNBELIEVABLE. A 70 pound increase in 7 weeks, and I even stayed at 150 lbs body weight throughout the entire program. Bottom line: This program is a MUST at some point if you are looking to improve your deadlift. Thank you Pavel and David Whitley for this brilliant program!!!

Daniel, probably not as written. It's a lot of volume, but if you reduced the volume to something like 3 days a week it could be manageable.

Evan, I think you may have just identified my next deadlift cycle for me.  It's been a while since I've done singles - sounds perfect for me so my thanks to you for posting, to Tamer for his article, and to Pavel for the program.

-S-

Comrade Evan, I followed that program last year, and got similar results. Congrats on the PR!

I haven't deadlifted for close to two months now, but I'm starting again on Monday. It's good to see that there is a 3-day/week version. My body responds really well to singles, so, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is greatly appreciated, and I’m glad to have helped some of you by posting the program and my results. I would love to have you guys keep us up to date on how you're progressing with deadlift singles routines. And Cole, your forum post from last year about your experience with this program is what encouraged me to try it out for myself, so thanks to you as well!

As for me, I think I would be a fool not to do this program again, so I am taking next week completely off from any lifting (since I have not done so in quite a while) and then starting this program again using 365 lbs as my new max for rep calculations. And for what it’s worth, in addition to the deadlifting, I bench press 5 days a week after my deadlifts (Power to the People, 5-3-2 style). I also warm up with various mobility drills, 5 Get-Ups each side with a 32kg kettlebell, and 3-5 sets of 5 Goblet Squats with a 24kg kettlebell.

Comrade Evan,

You'll be pleased to hear that you have convinced me to start another cycle of this program, albeit the M/W/F version. Since I'm walking in from a break, I'll be using a conservative max. I am on a - pardon my genericity - "bulk" right now, and am following the time-tested Bear protocol. Pretty good results so far!

All --

I have not posted before but have read and appreciated many of your thoughts, so I thought I would share some of my own recent results as a way of adding to the record.  After coming across this program (see link above) on DD and then reading about the amazing success that Cole slaw Spawn and Evan had with it, I started the program seven weeks ago.  Much like CSS and Evan, I have seen tremendous results.  After testing my 1RM at 290# prior to beginning the program, I retested last night and pulled 330#.  This is easily a lifetime best for me and frankly I am still a little shocked at the improvement.  For reference, I am a 31yo male, 6'1", 168#.  I have lifted on and off for years but only recently have really gotten smart about doing so after reading Easy Strength, PTTP, and a few other similarly-minded texts / blogs such as this one.  I followed the program as laid out exactly (and also kept the same bodyweight throughout the seven weeks).  So consider this to be another strong endorsement of the program.  Thank you, Pavel!

I am strongly considering re-running the program with my new max after my de-load week, as I would like to eventually reach 2.5x bwt on my DL.  Evan, I saw that you mentioned that you were going to do the same in terms of running it again.  Do you (or anyone else with an opinion) have any thoughts about this?

One final question: During this go around I largely steered clear of doing much at all in the way of other movements (no squatting, no real conditioning work, and certainly no other hinge movements like swings).  The one other thing I did do was bench press using a PTTP format.  (I ran this over the same cycles as the DL program and saw a 15# increase in my BP from 185# to 200#, so I'm pleased with progress there, as well).  Aside from benching, I am wondering if doing further additional work would compromise the efficacy of the DL program.  Thoughts?  I would love to be able to do some perhaps lighter squatting, farmers carries, and conditioning work 2-3x / week but I do not want to fall into a trap of trying to work everything and then achieving nothing (or less than I could have) on the main program.  How do others balance training other movements (squat, pull, push, loaded carry) while on a fairly specific program such as this?

Thanks to all for your insights.  Power to you!

--Thorne

Thorne / Others,

Tomorrow is the TSC so, I'll report on my DL after that.  I did a variation of the singles program that Pavel laid out, mostly because at 43, I know how my body reacts to most things, and I train to my personality.  I did a 7 week, 3 pull per week program, and was pretty beat up after last week's final session.  But I have also been training other things.

From experience, I can tell you that I adapt well to 2-4 weeks of DLs, followed by lots of swing and snatch work for a few weeks, followed by a big pull - it's just how MY body works.

I started feeling energized again on Wed, even more so yesterday, and feel like a titan today, so recovery is there.  We'll see tomorrow ... I'll try not to drink too much tonight :)  Hey, don't change anything the night before the big game, right?

Good luck tomorrow to all those competing.

-Al

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom