all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Inguinal hernia: Any suggestions to prevent another one?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bill Hatton

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi. Back in May 2021, I was practicing a flip turn in a back-yard swimming pool when something tore. That evening, the "sac" popped out and I had an inguinal hernia.

Using a hernia belt, and after consulting with a doctor, and working with a StrongFirst personal trainer, I continued to train for my SFG-1, which I was fortunate to pass in September. Just a few weeks ago I had hernia surgery, and everything's patched up and I'm recovering fine. (FWIW, I found pull-ups to be harder on the hernia than kettlebells.)

I am concerned/afraid of a new hernia going forward. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent possibility of a new inguinal hernia (especially one on the other side).

1. For example, should I continue to wear a hernia belt? Is there any harm in wearing one?

2. Should I keep in mind anything about breathing patterns, specifically anything that pressurizes the abdomen?

3. Is there some kind of underwear or other kind of supportive gear that I can use to prevent hernia?

4. Any exercise I should stay away from, from now on?

I should note I have lost 110 pounds in 4 years, and at my max weight (over 290), i sprung a nasty umbilical hernia that was fixed 3 years ago. I add this because while two data points don't make a trend, I really don't want a third data point and to go through this again. Hernias are annoying, surgery is expensive, and I have other things to do with my life than deal with another hernia.

Any prevention advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

@Bill Hatton, welcome to the StrongFirst forum. Google does a great job of searching our forum - try this in Google:

inguinal hernia site:strongfirst.com

and you'll find several threads that discuss this issue. My search yielded three forum threads on this subject, and since I participated in all three, I won't repeat myself. If I was to post again, I'd repost what I posted here: Kettlebell - Swings and hernias, which is post #2 in the third thread that my Google search found.

-S-

Hi. Back in May 2021, I was practicing a flip turn in a back-yard swimming pool when something tore. That evening, the "sac" popped out and I had an inguinal hernia.

Using a hernia belt, and after consulting with a doctor, and working with a StrongFirst personal trainer, I continued to train for my SFG-1, which I was fortunate to pass in September. Just a few weeks ago I had hernia surgery, and everything's patched up and I'm recovering fine. (FWIW, I found pull-ups to be harder on the hernia than kettlebells.)

I am concerned/afraid of a new hernia going forward. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent possibility of a new inguinal hernia (especially one on the other side).

1. For example, should I continue to wear a hernia belt? Is there any harm in wearing one?

2. Should I keep in mind anything about breathing patterns, specifically anything that pressurizes the abdomen?

3. Is there some kind of underwear or other kind of supportive gear that I can use to prevent hernia?

4. Any exercise I should stay away from, from now on?

I should note I have lost 110 pounds in 4 years, and at my max weight (over 290), i sprung a nasty umbilical hernia that was fixed 3 years ago. I add this because while two data points don't make a trend, I really don't want a third data point and to go through this again. Hernias are annoying, surgery is expensive, and I have other things to do with my life than deal with another hernia.

Any prevention advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum Bill. I strongly recommend talking with a medical professional that also works with athletes or an active population.

I will share what I found helped me. I am not a medical professional, this is not advice yada yada yada. Basically - perform a kegel prior to and while lifting. Assuming you have male anatomy, this is the action you use when cutting off pee mid-stream. Initially, I did this while merely standing, practicing the contraction and then practicing maintaining the contraction. Then, I began to add movement while contracting and holding. Then, I began to add weight. I never found issues/pain while doing things like swings or snatches, but I did find pain with deadlifts, squats, carries, and sometimes even running and heavy presses. Using this kegel action helped, and I very slowly added load. I initially only added one movement back at a time and would not add anything (or progress in load) for two weeks. It was very slow going. Now performing a kegel during lifts is almost natural and I haven't experienced any further pain or issues (fingers crossed). (I've heard this is also how to train women who urinate during exercise, but I have no experience there.)

I don't think I answered any of your questions, but that's the best I got.

@Bill Hatton, welcome to the StrongFirst forum. Google does a great job of searching our forum - try this in Google:

inguinal hernia site:strongfirst.com

and you'll find several threads that discuss this issue. My search yielded three forum threads on this subject, and since I participated in all three, I won't repeat myself. If I was to post again, I'd repost what I posted here: Kettlebell - Swings and hernias, which is post #2 in the third thread that my Google search found.

-S-
Thank you, Steve, for the welcome and the direction. I appreciate it and will use Google search to better explore the forum for questions that have already been discussed.

Welcome to the forum Bill. I strongly recommend talking with a medical professional that also works with athletes or an active population.

I will share what I found helped me. I am not a medical professional, this is not advice yada yada yada. Basically - perform a kegel prior to and while lifting. Assuming you have male anatomy, this is the action you use when cutting off pee mid-stream. Initially, I did this while merely standing, practicing the contraction and then practicing maintaining the contraction. Then, I began to add movement while contracting and holding. Then, I began to add weight. I never found issues/pain while doing things like swings or snatches, but I did find pain with deadlifts, squats, carries, and sometimes even running and heavy presses. Using this kegel action helped, and I very slowly added load. I initially only added one movement back at a time and would not add anything (or progress in load) for two weeks. It was very slow going. Now performing a kegel during lifts is almost natural and I haven't experienced any further pain or issues (fingers crossed). (I've heard this is also how to train women who urinate during exercise, but I have no experience there.)

I don't think I answered any of your questions, but that's the best I got.
Great suggestions. Thank you!

I had one a few years ago. I was squatting and deadlifting around that time but it was at work swinging a 14lb hammer when I felt it pop. Got the operation ASAP, even though it was minor. I have a physical job and I was lifting weights at the time, so didn’t want it getting worse. Surgeon said 8 weeks, then ease back. I had no problems doing that. No issues since thankfully, I think it might just have been a one off but I understand wanting to make sure it never happens again. I have never had issues on the other side due to the one I had if that helps

I have an umbilical hernia and pretty much everything I’ve read regarding hernia is, if the weakness is there in the fascia, the hernia is in the Mail. I know folk who have blown them out due to constipation alone, heavy coughing and conversely from being completely sedentary. Maybe not the answer you want. Prevention wise it all seems to be
Don’t be overweight
Don’t smoke
Eat plenty of fibre.

I have an umbilical hernia and pretty much everything I’ve read regarding hernia is, if the weakness is there in the fascia, the hernia is in the Mail. I know folk who have blown them out due to constipation alone, heavy coughing and conversely from being completely sedentary. Maybe not the answer you want. Prevention wise it all seems to be
Don’t be overweight
Don’t smoke
Eat plenty of fibre.
Apparently even Joe Pilates had a hernia so even having a tight midsection etc isn’t even a guarantee.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom